BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2003 330i
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in January I replaced my zf 5hp19 because the old one was toast (literally). It was mostly good, except for the occasional hard downshift at around 35 mph. It also went into limp mode 3 times but even with inpa I wasn't sure what were the causes, and it was so infrequent I didn't think much of it.

Anyways about 2 weeks ago symptoms were getting a little serious. Without going into limp mode, the car felt weak. The engine ran fine but power wasn't getting to the wheels like normally. And then on Thursday, on my way to work was was running fine and then i my noticed acceleration was bad out of nowhere. When i got to the red light the engine stalled. I turned off the car, put it in P and turned it on again. As soon as i shifted to D, it would stall. Happened 3 times before i gave up and pushed the car into a neighborhood and away from the busy street. When i got out of work, it was fine again but i left it there overnight just in case. the next day i went to get my car and it was fine again.

My initial thoughts are that the torque converter is on its last legs and something caused it to lock up on thursday, this is also the cheapest fix as there is a local shop that specializes in torque converters who rebuild them for $95. On ebay they go for $285. I could also drop the tranny pan but i honestly wouldn't know what to look out for.
Any responses are much appreciated.

·
Registered
2004 325i automagic
2,364 Posts
So there were no error codes (either in DME or EGS) when you scanned with INPA?? I would think a bad torque converter would set some kind of code.

What is the history of the fuel pump/filter? When my fuel pump was soft failing (at only 107k miles) it made the car go into limp mode a couple times, but then would recover and drive fine. Eventually, it stalled out on me trying to move through an intersection after stopping completely at the stop sign. Also, with the new pump and filter, the car had more power and response to throttle inputs.

It might be worth looking into fuel system before pulling the transmission again. Go with VDO/Seimens for fuel pump and Kayser or Hengst for fuel filter.

·
Registered
E46 '04 330Ci convertible 740K km
537 Posts
Scan it with INPA, to see transmission work,and if you cannot say what those measurements mean you could contact @BaliDawg , Scott is really into helping always. Definitely too early to go for repairings.

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
1,947 Posts
Likely the converter lockup malfunctioning. I'm unsure if a code pops up for a converter locking errantly. The only monitor is the solenoid.

A sluceway in a dam upstream if you will.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
You need to monitor activations and live data. Could be the solenoid and or the business end of it as well?

IOW, look at a misfire, sometimes it's the plug, sometimes the coil
Other times is both....

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Get up to around 70 mph and you should feel your converter lock up. If not it should throw a code after a couple tries. Sounds like you may have vacuum leaks, failing fuel pump, etc. trans is probably good, so I’d just change the fluid for maintenance and see if that helps anything. I’ve never had a car stall because of a torque converter failing. I’m thinking fuel pump might be dieing and is causing the power loss. These cars will throw the cog light for stuff like the maf sensor, sometimes o2 sensors, etc.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I can't find any documents pertaining to the locking torque converter for your trans at the moment. IIRC the converter actually starts locking as low as ~45 MPH and in 4th & 5th gears.
Somebody has to have the operational guide? (FUB)

·
Registered
537 Posts
I can't find any documents pertaining to the locking torque converter for your trans at the moment. IIRC the converter actually starts locking as low as ~45 MPH and in 4th & 5th gears.
Somebody has to have the operational guide? (FUB)
Don, there is a question -Does it lock when turbine reaches certain revs, or it depends on a torque reached by engine?( In analogy with clutch - you can make it locked at any revs, but it is easier to do on low gear, although you can start moving even on 5th one, I hope I could explain my quesiton.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
As with anything automotive anymore, the manufacturers try to make gains in fuel efficiency for any vehicle. Rather than one paradigm shift it's handled incrementally across the board. Radiator louvers, one way clutches on alternators, electric brake boosting and water pumps, variable displacement oil pumps, on and on.....

The locking torque converter on ZF 5 speed automatics locks in 4 th and 5 th gears (328 & 330 models only, also 528 & 530) to provide that extra 2 or so percent (eliminating the viscous slipping with any torque converter) and applying 100% of engine output to forward thrust. It's left out of that trans in lower gears below that for drive-ability reasons.

·
Registered
537 Posts
As with anything automotive anymore, the manufacturers try to make gains in fuel efficiency for any vehicle. Rather than one paradigm shift it's handled incrementally across the board. Radiator louvers, one way clutches on alternators, electric brake boosting and water pumps, variable displacement oil pumps, on and on.....

The locking torque converter on ZF 5 speed automatics locks in 4 th and 5 th gears (328 & 330 models only, also 528 & 530) to provide that extra 2 or so percent (eliminating the viscous slipping with any torque converter) and applying 100% of engine output to forward thrust. It's left out of that trans in lower gears below that for drive-ability reasons.
So is it the reason ZF has different number for 5HP19 for different e46 models - locking or not locking torque converters?

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Likely one of many reasons. IIRC the final gear ratio (output of transmission) can also be different depending on what car it's fitted to (318 VS: 530i) and what final drive ratio the differential has.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts