BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Slow in, slower out
4,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking for info on the factory hitch retrofit kit for my 2001 325i touring. The hitches are not offered in the US by BMW NA so the parts counter guys at the dealerships here are no help regarding hitch info.

The attached pic shows the hitch retrofit kit which I've priced out at less than 600 Euro. I know I will also need the elctrical kit for about another 180 Euro. I need to know if I have to also get the hitch specific bumper if I get the hitch retrofit kit. I'll attach a pic of the bumper in my next post. Item number 7 in the bumper pic is an access flap to get to the hitch to allow removal of the ball when not towing anything. It looks like the flap is on the underside of the rear bumper cover and would not even be visible. If I can get away with just trimming my stock bumper cover instead of buying the hitch specific bumper, I would save a lot of money.

If you are in Europe and plan on visiting a dealer soon, PM me if you have time to stop at the parts counter.

Thanks

Ed

·
Slow in, slower out
4,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Clem said:
I remember looking into it once. I just can't remember if we could get it in Canada.
I did not intend to leave out our brothers to the north, eh! Input from a Canadian Fanatic would also be greatly appreciated. Care to stop by a parts counter tonight?

Ed

·
Alpha Male
6,678 Posts
Sure why not it's a slow day. email me a list of the specific parts you are interested in.

Special orders usually take 10 days to 2 weeks to come in from Germany if they PDC in Toronto aren't "fornicating the dog". Unfortunately all oders have to stop in the Toronto warehouse for distribution first.

·
Slow in, slower out
4,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Clem said:
Sure why not it's a slow day. email me a list of the specific parts you are interested in.

Special orders usually take 10 days to 2 weeks to come in from Germany if they PDC in Toronto aren't "fornicating the dog". Unfortunately all oders have to stop in the Toronto warehouse for distribution first.
Access to the parts is not the issue. I want to know if I can get away with notching the unseen bottom lip of my stock rear bumper cover instead of buying a new hitch specific one with the associated trim.

Ed

·
Alpha Male
6,678 Posts
teamdfl said:

Access to the parts is not the issue. I want to know if I can get away with notching the unseen bottom lip of my stock rear bumper cover instead of buying a new hitch specific one with the associated trim.

Ed
Ahhhhh

My parts dept doesn't deal in a lot of hitches so I don't think they'd really know whether it would be feasible or not.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Any luck??

Ed,

Any luck on your hunt for a hitch? I've also been looking and haven't found a solution that I'm happy with.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I presume you already looked into the U-Haul hitch route? I havent seen an install but i priced one for my 330ci and i was told $264.00.....any info you canprovide will be useful as i have to install on my car,too. thanks..perhaps a DIY on your experience

1 - 9 of 9 Posts