BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

501 - 516 of 516 Posts

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
11,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #501
Hi BaliDawg!
i saw you mentioned in this thread about flashing the DME after a 2.5 to 3.0 conversion.
I'm ready to flash it and I have the numbers off the label of the DME:
VIN is PE91585 (325xiT manual). Below that is 0000000 which I believe indicates it was reflashed at the dealer as part of a service action or recall. Below that is 7519308 and lastly in larger font, 7525348.
I have determined that I want to use Assembly number 7571614 and Hardware number 7572342. I have a Genuine ICOM and version 5.3.1 of WinKFP.
Am I on the right track?
Yes, you are! I see that 7571614 is the right ZUSB number to specify when flashing your MS43 DME, as can be seen for a 11/2002 330xi sedan.

Follow these steps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks to BaliDawg for the help with the firmware updates. I got all of the SW installed and with a bit of communication, had everything ready for him when I called and it was a very simple process. The EGS took about 5 minutes and the DME took about 20 or so minutes. Less than 45 minutes total and everything was updated. I consider myself a gear-head, but BaliDawg was gracious enough to explain to me the different software and items to look at on the laptop while parked or even wanting to check how the car was doing while driving.

Other than the typical oil leak or quirk, this car ran just fine even though it has 160K miles. The one annoying thing was the "P to D cold start hesitation" that many of these transmissions suffer from. It was actually the first item I looked up before purchasing the car. It was an item that the seller, a friend of mine, had disclosed. I mentioned it to BaliDawg and he was not aware of that term..?..

I wanted to wait for a week or so after the Flash just to get a feel for the car. I am not the primary driver. I can say that the shifts are more consistent but a little soft. (just an old trans of course). The 1-2 or 2-1 clunk is gone and the car does idle a bit smoother (I still need to replace both collapsed motor mounts). I personally don't notice if the cars runs tighter or better up in the powerband or not, but I haven't put the car through any paces.

The biggest change to me was the decreased delay in the "P to D" cold start up. It was 8-10 seconds before, but after a fluid change and the Flash, that time is now under 2 seconds so that is a huge plus to me and my son. I will continue to assess on the days that I do drive the car.

Thanks again BaliDawg!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes, you are! I see that 7571614 is the right ZUSB number to specify when flashing your MS43 DME, as can be seen for a 11/2002 330xi sedan.

Follow these steps.
Thanks for the confirmation, it all went very smoothly. It took 14 minutes for the flash to complete with a genuine ICOM. Is that any quicker than with a KD-can cable?

One odd thing I’ve discovered is that I can’t connect To this E46 with NCS Expert. I get a ‘chassis is faulty’ error code. INPA and WINKFP are fine. I used NCS Expert on my E90 quite recently so I’m puzzled by this behavior. Any thoughts as to what I should check?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks for all the links and this guide! Followed it all to the letter and my car started first time (after deleting adaptions) cat definitely seems a lot smoother and responsive on the acceleration.... Was actually expecting it to be harder to run the update but took about 15 mins for a car that had never been updated before!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the guide BaliDawg! I just did the latest update for my E46 328i and I took it for a little test drive around the neighborhood and I can tell that acceleration is a little bit smoother and responsive but I will need to drive it around for longer before saying anymore.

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
11,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #509
Thanks for the guide BaliDawg! I just did the latest update for my E46 328i and I took it for a little test drive around the neighborhood and I can tell that acceleration is a little bit smoother and responsive but I will need to drive it around for longer before saying anymore.
Well done, mate!

·
Registered
236 Posts
BaliDawg and I set a time to get my DME and EGS updated remotely and got to it today. The process was pretty streamlined and painless, he really knows what he's doing. He had no problem running everything on my windows 10 laptop. I used a KCAN+ cable with pins 7/8 soldered and it worked fine. Took about a two hours but a lot of that time could've been shaved off had we not shared surf stories so much :LOL: turns out we went to the same highschool, what a small world!

Expect about 1-2hrs if you're interested in getting this done. If you want it to go more smoothly make sure you read his program install guide, have AC power going to your laptop and let him know if you already have bmw programs that might interfere with his custom install.

He'll also go over your car and what its reporting with you briefly so you can get an idea of how to monitor on your own.

I immediately went for a drive, trying to not expect anything at all so I can notice the changes. I noticed smoother automatic shifting, a lot less engine hesitation at low rpm, a bit more accessible hp and torque at the bottom and mid ends and even a bit quicker 0-60. Highly, highly, highly recommend.

Request; record your 0-60 times(safely) or other performance stats before and after the updates and post it here. I didn't record one before but my butt timer© knows without a doubt its quicker so it'd be cool to see possible evidence of that.

Thanks man.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thank you BaliDawg. I messaged him about remote updating my DME and my EGS. He responded in just a few hours and was able to start soon after that. I followed his write up "How to Install BMW Standard Tools" in his signature prior to him remoting in. After he remoted in he walked me through what and why he was doing what he was doing, which I loved because I wanted to learn more about this. The two updates took around 15 min each so we chatted about BMW stuff during that. After updates, he made sure the car started and ran without a problem. The car took the update just fine no problems. Took probably about an hour from start to finish. He is so knowledgable about BMW's and is a really cool guy. Thanks again for sharing your time and knowledge you are really helping the community.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Kudos to BaliDawg !!!!

I successfully reflashed my DME !!!
I followed his instructions in the beginning of this thread.
With his guidance I felt confident that I could do it.
I was going to have him do it remotely but got up the courage and got it done myself!!!!
Not without asking him a lot of questions though!
Thanks again, Like I said its one thing have knowledge and its another to share it

·
Registered
10 Posts
Much needed these updates really feel better the car, I managed to update DME and EGS thanks to the great help of BaliDawg its contribution is invaluable, there is no doubt that people like him make better this world!!

Now I will help my colleagues in my country to update their DME and EGS will follow the legacy of BaliDawg!

My car is a 323i year 2000 produced for Europe, no secondary pump and only 2 oxygen sensors And this update is doing very well

Greetings to all

·
Premium Member
2003 330ci Convertible Sport package
36 Posts
WOW ! Just went through the process with BaliDawg today, and despite less than perfect laptop and internet connection, he fought the good fight and got me through it! Such an interesting program, and the update made me decide to most likely skip custom tuning going forward! Whole different car, and I couldn’t have had a better teacher on this! Thank you so much for the time spent, and knowledge!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Put me in line to say thanks to BaliDawg!

He assisted me with updating my wagon today as I went from an 325 to 330 engine, ZHP. He talked me through the process and explained the details along the way. He even helped point me in the right direction when my car wouldn't start earlier this week before the update.

My wagon is now one more step closer to be a true ZHP wagon, Thanks again BaliDawg!

501 - 516 of 516 Posts