BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

361 - 380 of 516 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Another satisfied customer here!

A million thanks to BaliDawg for taking nearly two hours out of his Saturday to update the DME on my ‘04 ZHP. (Remotely from CA - I’m in MA.) (edit: it doesn’t take 2hrs, it just failed partway through the first time after running for a good 20-30 minutes so it had to be restarted. It normally takes ~1hr.)

Results of the update are more or less the same as everyone else has reported; 2800 RPM stumble is gone, power delivery is smooth across the board and the 4k dip appears to be gone (though the 4K dip was never really very noticeable on mine.) I don’t feel like throttle response or power is any different, but the rest is enough to be satisfying. I’ve lived with the 2800 RPM stumble for the last 2 years and I’m SO glad it’s gone now. Wish I knew about this thread two years ago!

Thanks BaliDawg!

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

·
Registered
192 Posts
Scott got me up and running today what a great guy! Took time out on his Sunday to get me squared away. Everything is working great. Now just gotta keep clearing those errors to try and get the dsc,tps and brake light out. Thanks again Scott! :bow:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Scott, thank you so much for you help today. It was a quick and painless hour while we installed the software, got the cable ready, and updated my EGS. I actually was not even planning on doing the update today, but Scott thought it might be a good idea to check which version I had. Turns out I already have the updated software for my DME, but my EGS was still running the original factory version. We got it updated in about 15 minutes, and shot-the-**** in the mean time. People like Scott are the reason owning an older BMW is not as painful as people will have you think. We have such great people in the community offering their help!
I haven't really had a chance to drive the car more than 35mph, but hopefully when I get to try a variety of driving conditions, I will feel the difference in the transmission.
Definitely, if you have a chance, let Scott help you update your vehicle. He has the process memorized and can have it all done in a very short amount of time.
Thanks again, Scott!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Scott aka BaliDawg helped me out today and my 325i is running like it did when I first got it. The dreaded 2800 RPM stutter is finally gone and the car just feels more open now. Prior to the re-flash, the car felt jerky and as if some of the power was just not accessible. Now the car feels like it has some added boost at 2800 RPM. It is certainly more fun to drive now.

Scott is a cool dude and I don't think I would ever have gotten this issue resolved correctly without his help. In the process, I learned a few cool things about my car as well. I learned that my car has a transmission built by GM and that the GM transmissions on these cars is more robust than the German-made alternative that some cars have.

I HIGHLY recommend anyone to get the re-flash done by Scott.

·
Registered
293 Posts
As almost every single post above me says, this is 1000000% worth it to do. Scott was awesome, and a super chill dude to talk to, and knows what he's doing when it comes to doing these updates. The car is exactly as he described it would be: more responsive, quicker, and smoother driving & shifting. He updated my 2002 325i's DME & EGS, and it couldn't have gone better.

Highly recommended for anyone who wants their software updated!

·
Registered
293 Posts
As almost every single post above me says, this is 1000000% worth it to do. Scott was awesome, and a super chill dude to talk to, and knows what he's doing when it comes to doing these updates. The car is exactly as he described it would be: more responsive, quicker, and smoother driving & shifting. He updated my 2002 325i's DME & EGS, and it couldn't have gone better.

Highly recommended for anyone who wants their software updated!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wanting to get this done but have a couple simple questions.

1. Does this work on OBD2 E36s? Particularly a 97 M3.

2. I swapped a 5 speed into my E46 and its got several errors that need to be coded out. Can you get rid of them sith this?

3. Can you do things like cods out secondary O2 sensors and secondary aid pump?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
11,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #370 (Edited)
Wanting to get this done but have a couple simple questions.

1. Does this work on OBD2 E36s? Particularly a 97 M3.

2. I swapped a 5 speed into my E46 and its got several errors that need to be coded out. Can you get rid of them sith this?

3. Can you do things like cods out secondary O2 sensors and secondary aid pump?
Sorry, I only update those models listed in post #1. I***8217;ve never tried to update an E36. And, I don***8217;t do any coding.

But, I can set up all the software so you can do it yourself or have someone do it. PM me for details.

·
Registered
2 Posts
BaliDawg helped to set up the diagnostic software to confirm that the DME for my 2002 S54 was already on the latest version. He helped walk me through some of the more interesting diagnostics and functions in INPA.

So, even if your DME software is up to date, getting BaliDawg's help in setting up the diagnostic software is great for future troubleshooting!

BaliDawg, correct me if this is inaccurate, but you now can do DME updates for S54s with SMG2!

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
11,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #372
BaliDawg, correct me if this is inaccurate, but you now can do DME updates for S54s with SMG2!
To clarify, I could always update MSS54 DME with or without SMG. What I haven’t had until today is the ability to view the SMG2 module in INPA. Big thanks to Munkeebot’s help figuring out what was needed! I updated the ec-apps.zip file on my Google Drive with SMG2 support, so anyone with M3 SMG can hit me up to get this added to their INPA.

·
Registered
3 Posts
BaliDawg, I read the version and got DME* -> 19.04.04 (VIN) 0 km 7.540.146 7.540.147 0.000.000 012321 42324 0044570LL30S
EGS -> 19.04.04 (VIN) 0 km 7.533.602 7.533.603 1.000.000 012321 42324 -
However I am confused on what I need to update. Is the BMW scanner tool ok or do I also need a k-dcan cable? The car is a 2004 325i.

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
11,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #375 (Edited)
BaliDawg, I read the version and got:
DME -> 19.04.04 (VIN) 0 km 7.540.146
EGS -> 19.04.04 (VIN) 0 km 7.533.602
However I am confused on what I need to update.
Is the BMW scanner tool ok or do I also need a k-dcan cable?
The car is a 2004 325i.
We can update both your MS45.1 DME and GS20 EGS. As mentioned in post #1 above, you need the K+DCAN cable. Read that post then PM me when you are ready.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey Scott, I have been chasing this issue on our E46 down and found this thread. Looks like our 2004 325XI (VIN: WBAEU33494PM61203) needs these updates as well. This BMW has only 75K miles on it and is in excellent shape. I am in Northern cal (SFBA)and thought I would see if you could help me as well. I have a windows 10 laptop and can order the cable unless you want to come north on me!

Update - Just ordered cable.

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
11,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #377
Hey Scott, I have been chasing this issue on our E46 down and found this thread. Looks like our 2004 325XI (VIN: WBAEU33494PM61203) needs these updates as well. This BMW has only 75K miles on it and is in excellent shape. I am in Northern cal (SFBA)and thought I would see if you could help me as well. I have a windows 10 laptop and can order the cable unless you want to come north on me!

Update - Just ordered cable.
Happy to remotely setup the software and update your car. See post #1 of this thread for details. PM me when you’re ready.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I used my Innova 3160d and pulled this up under vehicle info. I do not have the BMW scan tool you mentioned so it seems different.

Comes up

CAL ID 7528050
CAL ID 7532344
CAL ID 7518709
CAL ID 7546849

CVN 00007282
CVN 0000B772
CVN 00009A64
CVN 0000D29A

·
Registered
7 Posts
Looks like the cable will be here Friday as it just shipped from Bimmergeeks. Also I went looking for that BMW 1.4 scanner too as I see them for like 12 bucks but they all say they are for Windows XP and the software is on a CD, which no laptops have anymore! So I was wondering if I need to add another scanner to my toolset and which one to supplement my Innova 3160d?

361 - 380 of 516 Posts