BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

281 - 300 of 525 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
@BaliDawg I knew the IKE and LCM stored it since I previously got rid of tamper dot when I swapped in a used cluster. I just thought I remembered a third module that also stored it, and I noticed after just updating my DME with winKFP that PA Soft showed odometer values for DME and EGS but after flash show 0km. Revisited this thread and see everyones screenshots say 0km.

No worries since no tamper dot, I was just curios.

Thanks for this great thread! Cheers

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just got done updating my DME with BaliDawg!! The car runs SO much smoother across the board, it's a night and day difference. That pesky 2800 RPM stutter is finally GONE!! :woot: If anyone here has the opportunity to work with this guy.. DO IT!! He was SO helpful and finally brought my car to the place that it should be. Thanks to him, my first BMW ownership experience is now 10000000000% better (although it was already pretty good).

I can't express my gratitude to this guy enough for taking the time out of his busy life to do this for fellow enthusiasts, just because he's a stand up guy. He doesn't ask for anything. He just wants to make this community a better place, and that is nothing short of amazing! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
246 Posts
@BaliDawg Do you do torque converter r&r as well?? ***x1f609; I need to do mine soon, trying to figure out how I***8217;m going to pull it off...

Seriously though, thanks for all the info you provide here!

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
12,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #284 (Edited)
@BaliDawg I knew the IKE and LCM stored it since I previously got rid of tamper dot when I swapped in a used cluster. I just thought I remembered a third module that also stored it, and I noticed after just updating my DME with winKFP that PA Soft showed odometer values for DME and EGS but after flash show 0km. Revisited this thread and see everyones screenshots say 0km.

No worries since no tamper dot, I was just curios.

Thanks for this great thread! Cheers
Okay, I see what you***8217;re saying now. I***8217;ve honestly never looked at the DME or EGS odometer values immediately after flash updating; they might well be 0km as you said. However I***8217;ve never seen the odometer value displayed on the cluster change after either module was updated.

I***8217;ll go check my cars***8217; DME and EGS odometer values and report back what I find.

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
12,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #285 (Edited)
@BaliDawg Do you do torque converter r&r as well?? ***x1f609; I need to do mine soon, trying to figure out how I'm going to pull it off...

Seriously though, thanks for all the info you provide here!
I got a quote to rebuild a torque converter on my 2002 530i, which has the same ZF transmission as your car, a few years back from http://www.torqueconverter1.com. I'll post their email reply below. I didn't end up using them as the problem was my TCC solenoid. They're in L.A. so you could drive there and save on shipping.

--------------------------------
Date: April 4, 2015 at 10:34:13 PDT
Subject: 02 BMW 530i 3.0L ZF5HP19 torque converter price

Thank you for your Quick Quotation request www.torqueconverter1.com!
Most dependable REMANUFACTURED torque converter you can buy at factory direct price!

--- Over 3,069 customers FEEDBACK with 99% Satisfaction -

- NO CORE RETURN REQUIRED -
- 1 YEAR WARRANTY -

***************** HERE IS YOUR QUOTE ****************
*** This quote expires in 7 days from e-mail date ***

Vehicle: 02 BMW 530i 3.0L ZF5HP19 **upgraded seal**

Your torque converter price is $279 + Free S&H.
Our Part # ZF34B

Most orders shipped within 24 hours (Mon-Sat) after confirmed checkout.
It will be shipped via USPS Priority Mail 2-3 days service or UPS Ground depend on the size of your converter.
The tracking # will be email to you once shipped. Continental US delivery time is approx. 2-3 days.

- S&H based on domestic US only -

***************** ORDER INSTRUCTION *****************

For any reason you are having trouble checking out, please email/call us for invoice.

California Resident: Add 8.75% sales tax to torque converter price (exclude S&H)

When you are ready to order, go to www.torqueconverter1.com --> Buy Now Section -->
and put "Part Number (Quoted)" and your "Vehicle Information" and click "Buy Now" button.

On next page, please put "Total Price including SHIPPING fee" at "Item Price" section on the Left Screen
and Click "Pay with Debit or Credit Card" on Right Screen to checkout (or log in to your Paypal account).

- Pay with Visa, M/C, AMEX, Discover, Check Visa - M/C, you do NOT need Paypal account to pay -

Please check our product warranty info: http://www.torqueconverter1.com/About_Us.html

See most recent (over 3,069) CUSTOMERS FEEDBACK with 99% Satisfaction: www.torqueconverter1.com

Our company has been in remanufacturing torque converter business for over 27 years and currently
serving over 100+ transmission shops in Southern California on daily basis.
Now, you can enjoy direct factory prices on over 500 types of torque converters.

·
Registered
246 Posts
@BaliDawg Appreciate that thank you. I have a part source, I'm looking to recruit someone who's done it to give me a hand...that's what I was half-joking about.

I***8217;ll be making a new post about that after I put a plan together. I want to do it soon...this transmission runs way too hot when the lockup clutch isn***8217;t involved

·
Registered
246 Posts
Okay, I see what you're saying now. I've honestly never looked at the DME or EGS odometer values immediately after flash updating; they might well be 0km as you said. However I've never seen the odometer value displayed on the cluster change after either module was updated.
The cluster display doesn't change, at least not that I ever saw.

Fixing the IKE was the first project I did on my 2002 325Ci. The fuel gauge didn't work when I bought the car, as well as a couple lights if I remember right. It turned out to be quite a challenge to fix. I naively pulled a cluster from a pick-your-part lot and found SES light plucked off the circuit board. The fuel gauge worked so that was promising. I want all lights to work, so I went to a few parts yards and came home with 5 or 6 clusters. Learned an unexpected lesson in why it's good to be able to do basic fixes myself...almost every cluster had the SES light either blacked out or removed...shady mechanics geez!.

Anyway, once I found a circuit board with all the lights and gauges working, I mixed and matched parts to put together one good cluster. Then the mission was to remove the tamper dot. My car was a salvage, and the three modules that store the mileage all had different VIN and mileage values! Using just PASoft and a ton of internet research I finally got them all synch'd up and tamper dot gone.

Short story long (sorry), the mileage can't be messed with easily, regardless of what PASoft displays. In modules up to ~2002 however, they are programmable by PASoft if the VINs on the three modules are the same. Setting the VIN on the IKE was the hardest...the other two module's mileage has to be set to a difference within a certain number of KMs (forget what that number is), then the IKE's mileage is allowed to be set to 0. THEN the VIN is programmable, and as soon as the VINs matched, the mileage synch'd by itself.

That's why I'm curious about the values showing 0km after a flash. I forget a lot of the details, but I remember 2 out of three of the modules always have to match or else the tamper dot shows, and when the tamper dot's there you can't trust the displayed mileage. The mileage is always tracked, but only the IKE's set mileage is displayed. Seeing 0km in PASoft log is a head scratcher. I'm not going to mess with it though...if I get a tamper dot I may never be able to fix it :cry:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Okay, I see what you're saying now. I've honestly never looked at the DME or EGS odometer values immediately after flash updating; they might well be 0km as you said. However I've never seen the odometer value displayed on the cluster change after either module was updated.

I'll go check my cars' DME and EGS odometer values and report back what I find.
Just a quick FYI/update...My last PASoft log from a week ago shows all modules that store mileage now have the correct mileage (no more "0km"). Apparently they do sync as I remembered

Cheers

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Hi everyone, last week Balidawg took over an hour out of his day to help me update the DME software on my 2004 325Ci. After the flawless flashing of the DME, I took the car for a test drive and all I can say is WOW!!

The car was like night and day with the update. I cannot thank the avid forum member enough for all the help he did with me last Saturday. If you need a DME update, Balidawg is the answer to your prayers. On top of his amazing help, he is a genuinely awesome person. Him and I chatted about cars and could have talked for hours.

Balidawg, THANK YOU AGAIN SO MUCH!!

·
Registered
891 Posts
Egs

Hello to all,

I was just curious to know if any type of coding is required when replacing an E46 EGS with a used unit or is it a plug and play item?

Regards,
Mark

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
Hello to all,

I was just curious to know if any type of coding is required when replacing an E46 EGS with a used unit or is it a plug and play item?

Regards,
Mark
Use winkfp to flash your Vin onto it

·
Registered
16 Posts
Shout out to @BaliDawg for remotely upgrading my DME last night. Everything went great and my 2800 stutter is gone. His expertise and experience make for a smooth upgrade process. Thank you @BaliDawg!

·
Registered
171 Posts

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
12,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #294
Hi BaliDwag,

My current DME baseline number is: 7545552. Do i have an update ?

If i dont have an update then can i manually update EU2 version ? by the way please not my car is Automatic on transmission so not sure if EU2 supports it or not.

btw thats the list the real oem shows for my car
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=AN55-EUR-07-2000-E46-BMW-330i&diagId=12_1080

Thanks in advance.
Looking at the MS43 version history here
https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpost.php?p=16903580&postcount=86
it seems 7545552 is the latest EU4 software.

You can confirm it on bmwfans.info as well.
http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E46-Sedan/Europe/330i-M54/L-N/jul2000/browse/engine_electrical_system/programmed_dme_control_unit/

EU2 would be: 7545671

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
12,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #295 (Edited)
Some folks have asked me why I update forum members' cars for free. They're like, "What's in it for you?" Well, let me explain...

It's quite an ordeal for someone new to the software to set everything up correctly and then figure out how to use it. Why do I do this? Because it doesn't take much time or effort for me to do, but is a major pain and risk for someone to learn and do right the first time. The learning curve is not small! It took a lot of time and effort for me to figure it all out, so I'd just like to save everyone else the hassle.

Why for free? Well, this forum has given so much to me over the years and I just want to give back. Sounds sappy, but it's true! I have a regular job and am not interested in "making a little on the side." Sure, sometimes someone sends me an Amazon gift card, brings me beer, or buys me lunch, which is nice, but I ask for and expect nothing. My main goal is to successfully update the car, help with any related problems, and leave them smiling.

These days I remotely update several cars per week. I connect using Chrome Remote Desktop, set up the same known working installation that I use for everyone on their laptop, and update the DME (and EGS if the car has an AT).

There have been a few cases where someone had bricked their DME or EGS trying to update it themselves and I was able to unbrick it and complete the update.

Every car should be updated. There have been many software bugs fixed over the years and you want to be on the latest. The performance change is subtle, but noticeable. Basically, the car is smoother and more responsive after the update.

BMW stopped releasing updates for E46 around 2006 when it went out of production, so it only needs to be updated once.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,534 Posts
Some folks have asked me why I update forum members' cars for free. They're like, "What's in it for you?" Well, let me explain...

It's quite an ordeal for someone new to the software to set everything up correctly and then figure out how to use it. Why do I do this? Because it doesn't take much time or effort for me to do, but is a major pain and risk for someone to learn and do right the first time. The learning curve is not small! It took a lot of time and effort for me to figure it all out, so I'd just like to save everyone else the hassle.

Why for free? Well, this forum has given so much to me over the years and I just want to give back. Sounds sappy, but it's true! I have a regular job and am not interested in "making a little on the side." ..I ask for and expect nothing. My main goal is to successfully update the car, help with any related problems, and leave them smiling.
:bow:

·
Registered
171 Posts

Why for free? Well, this forum has given so much to me over the years and I just want to give back. Sounds sappy, but it's true! I have a regular job and am not interested in "making a little on the side." Sure, sometimes someone sends me an Amazon gift card, brings me beer, or buys me lunch, which is nice, but I ask for and expect nothing. My main goal is to successfully update the car, help with any related problems, and leave them smiling.

These days I update 1 or 2 cars per week, mostly remote. We connect using TeamViewer, set up the same known working installation that I use for everyone on their laptop, and update the DME - and EGS if the car has an AT. If you come to my house, bring your Windows laptop and I'll set it up for you.

There have been a few cases where someone had bricked their DME or EGS trying to update it themselves and I was able to unbrick it and complete the update.

Every car should be updated. There have been many software bugs fixed over the years and you want to be on the latest. And the performance change is subtle, but noticeable. Basically, the car is smoother and more responsive after the update.
First of all, for those whom bugging about BaliDawg's free service, let them go to hE**!!. Many of the folks here are on a budget and hence going DIY route to save few $$$. I started with changing air filter as a beginner but now i am competent to do any job provided i get free education from these respectable forums and kind members in here around the globe. Members like BaliDawg is rare to find and in my opinion we need more members like him. So kudos to Mr.BaliDawg for endless support and without your guide i should have never updated my DME and EGS :thumbsup:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hopefully for people like Balidog, jfoj, armenh7, and so many others on this forum who so generously give up their time and energy, to help us all, carmen will shine brightly upon them, and all their generosity will be repaid in spades.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I recently took my car to the shop, its been having some issues that I had been trying to diagnose and I wanted it fixed. He came back to me with; fault code - o2 sensor open circuit - dme programming also too sensitive. a 900 estimate. I decided to just pay him off for the diagnostic and take my car back, I know I can do the o2 sensors myself but I am worried about the dme reprogramming. My original plan was to fix the sensors and take the car back to him for the reprogramming, but now coming across this thread I think there may be another option! If this is something you can do I would be very interested in driving up or doing it remotely. Let me know if this is something you could do.
It's really cool that you do this for the community. People like you are what make this forum so great!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I recently took my car to the shop, its been having some issues that I had been trying to diagnose and I wanted it fixed. He came back to me with; fault code - o2 sensor open circuit - dme programming also too sensitive. a 900 estimate. I decided to just pay him off for the diagnostic and take my car back, I know I can do the o2 sensors myself but I am worried about the dme reprogramming. My original plan was to fix the sensors and take the car back to him for the reprogramming, but now coming across this thread I think there may be another option! If this is something you can do I would be very interested in driving up or doing it remotely. Let me know if this is something you could do.
It's really cool that you do this for the community. People like you are what make this forum so great!

281 - 300 of 525 Posts