BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, can anyone please tell me how to write to the airbag ECU, (if possible) whilst using NCS Expert.

I need to code out the airbag light on the dashboard of my track car so that the car passes its MOT as I've removed all of the airbags from the car.

The airbags are currently set to active in NCS Dummy, I can change them to not-active but the ECU doesn't accept the re-write.

I know how to use NCS Expert and can read/modify/write to the other ECU's, but not the airbag ECU, not sure why?

Thank you.

Vince

·
Because Race...Convertible?
Turbo ZHP Convertible
2,937 Posts
This is much easier done with BMW Scanner 1.4, also called PA Soft. It needs a special cable but its dead easy. Read the errors, go into equipment and uncheck the subsequent airbags and faults.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is much easier done with BMW Scanner 1.4, also called PA Soft. It needs a special cable but its dead easy. Read the errors, go into equipment and uncheck the subsequent airbags and faults.
Thanks for you advice, however airbag control units are hard coded, so you can tell the car to clear the fault code via the PA Soft scan tool, and dash light will go out momentarily but it then re-appears straight away as the airbag control unit is looking for resistances and airbags that are coded to be present in the car, but are not (in my case because I've removed them all)...

So what I'm asking is how to overcome (hack) the airbag control unit ECU, so that I can access the parameters and "uncheck/remove" the configurations to state that there are no airbags in the car.

PA Soft is a basic scan tool that will work on things such as DSC/brake pressure sensors if one fails and you replace it, you'll be able to clear the old fault code once a new sensor is in place.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts