BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
8,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is more of a showroom type thread but Ill keep it here in the soundwerks section. So I finally found an EXCELLENT deal on an MKIV Navigation Drive/ Computer for my car in the parting out section on here. Thus far Ive swapped out that ugly 4:3 monitor and replaced it with a 16:9 monitor as well as ditching the Atari 2600 looking MKIII Navigation computer with the MKIV unit. Wow what a world of a difference. The MKIV is much faster than the MKIII. It doesnt freeze like the MKIII did while entering a destination. I was ready to give up and go the Dynavin route as I couldnt justify paying $450-$500 for the MKIV DVD based drive.

The installation was very easy. It was a task to put the trunk paneling back together and make it fit perfect, but it was well worth it. After I was done I modded my new MKIV unit with a sweet update in software. It now has an ///M splash in the background, 3D perspective view (the street names actually show), night mode, and red light camera mod :clap: :eeps: Very cool software if you ask me.

Ive ordered a lot of parts from E46FANATICS, EBAY, and other forums. Ive never seen more professional packaging than this one. It took me close to 5 minutes to actually get the unit out of the box and unwrapped.

Here are some pictures. Some of you have this, some of you dont.

I had to take a picture of the packaging. Another member recently purchased a burnt out Navigation retro kit that was just thrown in a box :( I got lucky.

///M Splash. Comes up when I open my drivers side door.

Menu options including night mode and red light camera alert.

A picture of 3D perspective view. I keep it at 1/2 mile in view because I love the look.

Nightmode Active:

Heres what my old setup looked like.

·
Registered
217 Posts
great work mate,

how can i check which version MKI,II III or IV am i running

Secondly, how to update the software? i already have the 16:9 screen with dvd drive.

·
Registered
8,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks Ali. Here are some pictures for you that will help determine which version you are running. I enclosed some pictures of the different drives to help others determine which setup theyre running (this is normally a FAQ)

MKI and MKII

MKIII

MKIV

Go to the menu option on your monitor. On the upper right hand corner it will tell you what software you are running. If you look at one of my MENU puctures above, you will see which version Im running .. Im running SW 4-1/01 which is as high as I can go on the MKIV (I think). The software is easy to update. I had a big problem last month because I used a disc that was meant for an MKIV on my MKIII and bricked my MKIII. I was able to bring my MKIII back and upgrade it. Depending on which drive/computer you have, I will tell you whats the highest version you can upgrade to.

Highest version for MKII I believe is version 20. MKIII = version 22. Others have tried installing higher versions but it would only write version 22 over again not allowing a higher version on this drive. MKIV = version 32.

·
Registered
186 Posts
DropTop,
What does the Camera Alert do? I have a MK IV but don't have this. Where did you get your new software upgrade?

Thanks,

Rob

·
Registered
8,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The camera alert works along with your map disc dvd. If youre running the most recent DVD (2009 Navteq or 2010 tele-atlantis) it pairs up with this camera alert add on to go off whenever youre in a red light camera district. Ive had the update for a while but I wasnt able to install it when I had the MKIII in my car. Its only for the MKIV unit.

·
Registered
8,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why dont you get another monitor? The guy I bought my MKIV has one for sale with a cd behind it.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
Why dont you get another monitor? The guy I bought my MKIV has one for sale with a cd behind it.
the dealership is sending a replacement for the bad one the sent me ETA looks to be November.

Dude I just got my credit card bills today and can't believe how much this retrofit cost me.

:facepalm:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Thanks for that info.
According to the pictures I have MkIII and I am running Sw 3-1/64.

Also will upgrading to MK IV be as simple as replacing the the MK III drive with the later?

·
Registered
8,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the dealership is sending a replacement for the bad one the sent me ETA looks to be November.

Dude I just got my credit card bills today and can't believe how much this retrofit cost me.

:facepalm:
Delmarco just have the dealership refund your money. If you paid with a credit card you can have the transaction reversed. If you paid using a bank account go to your bank and fill out a REG-E request form. You should be able to get your refund then. I dont go by ETA time when it comes to Cristy (correct spelling?) BMW on ebay. Same thing happened to someone else I know who purchased a monitor for an e38 740 and they waited a few months. If you go this route and you get your money back drop me a PM. I can get a working monitor for you at a fair price off the guy I purchased my MKIV from.

Thanks for that info.
According to the pictures I have MkIII and I am running Sw 3-1/64.

Also will upgrading to MK IV be as simple as replacing the the MK III drive with the later?
You currently have the highest version for the MKIII. I thought that the highest software was SW 3-1/63 but I learned last month that your software was the highest. You can get an ///M logo if you'd like. Since youre running the highest software nothing else will change.

Upgrading to the MKIV is easy. Just follow the following steps.

Remove the MAP CD out of the MKIII

Power the mk3 down correctly or youll tank it. Dont disconnect the MKIII until the red power light is completely off. Once its off you can go ahead the disconnect the cable and the 2 harness' out of it.

Plug the MKIV in. Insert the DVD and start the car.

Drive the car around for a bit. When I installed my MKIV the actual drive thought my car was in another state. After 5 minutes of driving my current located changed to the correct location.

Its all very easy. If you need anymore help let me know.

·
Registered
47 Posts
hey i looked around but didnt find anything, do you know of any website where i can download version 22 for my mk3?

·
Registered
8,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
hey i looked around but didnt find anything, do you know of any website where i can download version 22 for my mk3?
Version 22 Update for MKII and MKIII only
<A HREF="http://www.e38.org/nav/v22_1_CloneCD.rar">DOWNLOAD VERSION 22 HERE</A>
This will work for both MKII and MKIII. 4:3 monitor or 16:9 monitor.

Depending on which version you already have, you may need to download a "KEY CD".
<A HREF="http://www.e38.org/nav/BMW_NaviSoft_KeyCD_Clone_cd.rar">DOWNLOAD KEY CD HERE</A>

The version 22 will give you the ability to have split screen features, newer graphics, BMW logo at startup, quicker loading time, and accept screen. Even when running the 4:3 monitor you can have split screen.

DOWNLOAD AND INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:

After the V22 update is finished downloading, you will need to make a disc using CloneCD. You can download that here <A HREF="http://static.slysoft.com/SetupCloneCD.exe">CLONE CD DOWNLOAD</A>

1) Right click the file that just downloaded, and select 'extract to v22_1_CloneCD\' and wait a minute for the program to decompress files.

2) Run CloneCD. You'll get 4 big buttons. Press the second from the left (Write from Image File). Browse to the .CCD file inside the v22_1_CloneCD folder you extracted the files to.
Make sure you choose a slow burning speed (like 4x) to improve the quality of the burn... then choose to proceed burning the CD. I used 1x or 2x and it worked fine for me.

3)Take the finished cd to the car. I turn the key to the first position and let everything boot and stabilize. I then eject the Navigation Map, insert the cd, and sit and wait in the car. When ejecting the navigation map cd, please wait until the red light stops blinking before ejecting. You could tank your MKIII unit like this. Once the red light stops blinking then go ahead and eject the Map CD and insert the disc you just made and watch the screen closely. It might take about 30 secs to start up. The process claims to take 6 minutes, but it feels far less than that. Once the process finishes, the screen will tell you to remove the cd, which you should and insert back the map disc. Give it a minute to reboot, and it should have finished.

4) If youre jumping from version 17 or below to version 22, a KEY CD might be needed. Once the update is complete and the system reboots it may/may not prompt you to insert a key cd. Insert the key cd and it will unlock and your update will be completed.

**PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR DRIVER SIDE DOOR STAYS OPEN DURING UPDATE**

Heres a sample of how my navigation appeared when it had Version 17

Heres what it looked like while I was installing the version 22 software on my MKIII (I no longer have the MKIII its already been sold)

I was prompted to insert the KEY CD

This was the end result

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
I reeeeeally want an in-dash navi unit, but too much $$$ for a broke college kid :(

·
Registered
8,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I reeeeeally want an in-dash navi unit, but too much $$$ for a broke college kid :(
If your car didnt come with the factory nav, I recommend the Dynavin unit. It simple to install and has a lot more features. Ask Delmarco... Even he wouldnt recommend the oem nav retrofit.

The only reason why I like the oem nav is because its OEM. It looks nice and its got a few decent features. My car is way too loud to use bluetooth and I dont watch movies in my car. So the OEM nav does the trick for me.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Yea I've been looking at Dynavin's lately... I'm tired of the boring headunit and my Aux cable is busted for some reason. If I'm gonna upgrade, I really want the V5. Mtech and low come first though :rofl:

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
finally up and running thanks guys.

Sirius Data Connection: the issue was the original pin inputs on the cd changer cable in the front is not only reversed going from 6 to 1 and 7 to 12 but it is upside down as well. So it is double counter-intuitive

AUX: the issue here is the kit you buy for navigation does not seem to come with the right male connector for the "retrofit harness" female connector. I supposed the regular factory harness came with a male connector for the Aux in female connector but if you are retrofitting with a retrofit specific harness you must modify the aux harness female connector to a male connector to fit the retrofit harness's female connector AND you need to swap the pin no.s around so the colours are where they should be.

And Telephone-Bluetooth works perfectly with the ck3000/ctppar007 kit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2FAaY-7QUs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bij2xoNeJQg

Questions remaining is how do i get the CODE feature and well as the extra settings for Night Mode and Red Light/Traffic Camera's?

This is all I can seem to bring up:

how do I get night mode and code and red light camera alert?

:(

Yea I've been looking at Dynavin's lately... I'm tired of the boring headunit and my Aux cable is busted for some reason. If I'm gonna upgrade, I really want the V5. Mtech and low come first though :rofl:
go for the upgrade. get something you can enjoy. m tech and lower is just for other people to look at as you drive by. You don't enjoy it, they do (if they are into mtech and lowered)

·
Registered
8,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Delmarco congrats on getting your whole navi issue resolved. I need to meet up with you as you live 5 mins away and check out your sirius and intravee setup.
Ill explain to you in person how the nightmode works and what to do to enable it :shhh:

Ive been receiving PMs regarding issues in burning the actual disc. The disc needs to be burned in mode2/form1 using Imageburn. Burn the disc at the slowest rate possible. If your drive will burn at 1x than thats great. If your drive burns at the slowest speed of 4x than dont force a 1x burn. You can also use regular cds.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
Delmarco congrats on getting your whole navi issue resolved. I need to meet up with you as you live 5 mins away and check out your sirius and intravee setup.
Ill explain to you in person how the nightmode works and what to do to enable it :shhh:

Ive been receiving PMs regarding issues in burning the actual disc. The disc needs to be burned in mode2/form1 using Imageburn. Burn the disc at the slowest rate possible. If your drive will burn at 1x than thats great. If your drive burns at the slowest speed of 4x than dont force a 1x burn. You can also use regular cds.
Do using burn Nav dvd discs hurt the mk4 drive? I keep hearing different things.

·
Registered
8,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Do using burn Nav dvd discs hurt the mk4 drive? I keep hearing different things.
Theres a difference between using a burned disc to update your OS and using a burned maps disc daily. If you use a burned disc one time to update your version, add graphics and night mode etc you wont do damage to your lens. If you use a burned dvd with maps on a daily basis then you will risk damage to the lens inside of the MKIV.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts