E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
7,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I promised I searched! :rofl:

I could find a lot of threads about broken nav systems but no one seemed to simply have the screen die. I was driving and it just went blank, I was in the middle of using the nav to get somewhere and the woman kept talking. I checked and the red light on the unit in the trunk is on (blinking) so I think the nav itself still works. The radio also still works, it appears to just be the screen that went out.

Is there a fuse or anything on the unit itself that I should check? Anyone have something similar happen?

2003 M3 with factory wide screen nav with CD player behind it and nav unit in the trunk.

Thanks in advance,
Tim

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
Shine a really bright flashlight on the screen. If you can see the map, then it's just your screen's back light. No clue if that's a replaceable part :( If it's a CCFL lamp, you might be able to find a proper-sized replacement.

http://www.lcdparts.net/ccfl13d.aspx

If it's an LED backlight, then it'll be a much more difficult problem.

If you can't see anything, then a ribbon cable may have been disconnected. If that's not disconnected after cracking it open, I'd say it's beyond fixable.

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
7,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried shining a light on the screen and couldn't seen anything. It was a big dewalt flashlight, should that be good enough?

Tim

·
Registered
13,836 Posts
:search:

this has been beaten to death tim :facepalm:

lol... j/k.. i would call some local places. i have a guy down here in RI that is good with all that, however I think its safe to say that repairing it could easily cost more than getting one on ebay for a couple hundred bucks anyways.

·
Registered
284 Posts

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
Look on the X5 forums. There is a lot of info there. The screen is made my Sharp and you can order a new one from China for like $200-250 I think. You need to make sure you order one with the correct viewing angle.

http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-for...6-just-replaced-lcd-screen-nav-monitor-7.html

There are other posts ou there too on replacing just the screen.
Thanks for that!!! I have a small line of dead pixels on my display and it's driving me nuts. Awesome find!

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
7,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the link. They're saying I need a 6.5" screen, PN LQ065T9BR51. I have the wider nav, I think. See attached image. Does that seem right to everyone?

Tim

Attachments

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Tim,

Here's a link to a navi screen on ebay I found currently under $300 :thumbsup:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E46-M3-OEM-NAVIGATION-SCREEN-MONITOR-CD-PLAYER-PARTS-/300709210438?fits=Model:M3%7CMake:BMW&hash=item4603aa6946&item=300709210438&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

edit: Tim, you can try disconnecting your battery for about 16 minutes to reset all modules....this might reset your Navigation screen. worth a try first :thumbsup:
I had an issue recently with my ZHP where the navi screen went completely black and I couldn't do anything with it or the radio/menu. I disconnected the battery as per Steve's suggestion and waited 16 minutes and then reconnected the battery. Everything worked since.

If that doesn't work try sending Steve (SNA77) a PM...he's really good on these things...

·
Registered
214 Posts
I've had my nav screen go blank a few times; but usually when turning the car on.

In those few instances, what I did was disconnect the connectors from the back of the navigation drive and leave them off for a minute or so then reconnect them. May not work; but doesn't cost anything to try.

I even did this once in the touring when after an extremely heavy rainfall some water actually got onto the connectors causing the screen to go out. I took them off and used some compressed air to ensure the connectors were dried off and did the same to the navigation unit as well. After everything was dried out and reconnected, it's been working fine for at least a year now.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have been a lazy a$$ and dealing with the same thing. My screen started to roll one evening two months back, and after I parked the car and shut it off it would no longer come back on. None of the buttons would work on the front, only the steering wheel controls. Needless to say I have classic rock, NPR, Christian Channel and three static stations. I have unhooked the battery and no luck. I have not taken the unit out yet, but that will be done this afternoon as a possible fix. Please let me know if you find anything out, or if anyone else has had this problem in the past and has found a fix.

Brian

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
7,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've had my nav screen go blank a few times; but usually when turning the car on.

In those few instances, what I did was disconnect the connectors from the back of the navigation drive and leave them off for a minute or so then reconnect them. May not work; but doesn't cost anything to try.

I even did this once in the touring when after an extremely heavy rainfall some water actually got onto the connectors causing the screen to go out. I took them off and used some compressed air to ensure the connectors were dried off and did the same to the navigation unit as well. After everything was dried out and reconnected, it's been working fine for at least a year now.
You're talking about the connections in the trunk? Did you have the battery unplugged when you did this or did you just unplug it?

LCD inverter should be checked especially the way the display died.
Doesn't the inverter power the back light? I checked with a flash light and cannot see anything on the screen, which I was told meant the entire screen was dead.

Tim

1 - 20 of 30 Posts