BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of selling my 2001 outback to buy a Honda odyssey but then found this.
Spread the word!

The 2002 Car Lemon List
Thanks to the efforts of the Center for Auto Safety, we are able to provide you with the vehicle complaints on file with the National Highway for Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Each year, thousands of Americans call their government to register complaints about their vehicles. The federal government collects this information but has never released it to the general public. The complaint index is based on a ratio of the number of complaints for each vehicle to the sales of that vehicle.

MODEL COMPLAINT INDEX RATIO
Mazda MPV 11,090
Kia Sportage 7,204
Ford Excursion 6,682
Ford Windstar 4,550
Mercury Cougar 4,342
Honda Passport 3,691
Honda S2000 3,510
Mitsubishi Eclipse 3,421
Isuzu Rodeo 3,393
Ford Explorer 3,039
Land Rover Range Rover 3,034
Audi A6 2,982
Hyundai Tiburon 2,954
Honda Odyssey 2,825
Lincoln LS 2,753
Jeep Grand Cherokee 2,744
Volkswagen Passat 2,676
Buick LeSabre 2,555
Suzuki Grand Vitara 2,552
Chevrolet Blazer 2,541
Chevrolet Impala 2,463
Jeep Wrangler 2,456
Toyota Tundra 2,454
Dodge Dakota 2,380
:confused:

·
Registered
644 Posts
Interesting ... I find it somewhat funny that the Passport (rebadged Rodeo)
had more complaints than the exact same car though. Guess people are more
likely to complain when it carries an 'H' badge. Very surprised to see the
Odyssey there in any case.

·
Registered
204 Posts
S2000 on the list too!

·
Registered
634 Posts
Take it with a grain of salt...

I worked for years with a big Appliance manufacturer and we always found it very amusing when Consumer Reports came out with their recommendations.

FOR EXAMPLE:
They'd rank one of our washers a top pick (best buy) when it came to repairs and reliability.
We market the same washer under 3 other brand names...they'd be ranked middle of the pack or bottom rung.

Same machine, same motor, transmission, running down the same assembly line with the same Quality controls.
We always had a good laugh on that !:lmao:

Go figure:dunno:
Jon

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Fripp64 said:
Take it with a grain of salt...

Same machine, same motor, transmission, running down the same assembly line with the same Quality controls.
We always had a good laugh on that !:lmao:

Go figure:dunno:
Jon
Don't forget the last sentence of disclaimer, "The complaint index is based on a ratio of the number of complaints for each vehicle to the sales of that vehicle."
Number of sells matters and so does the class of person that would buy, let's say, the Honda Passport just b/c it has the name "Honda" versus the Isuzu...

·
Registered
45 Posts
we have an odyssey and we love it, but there was a recall on it for the transmission. i know honda does a lot of recalls (there was one recently for new accords too), so if they factor that into the ratings at all (or simply people call in with a problem without knowing about the recalls) it'll seriously tip the scales

1 - 7 of 7 Posts