E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NASA So. Cal will be running HPDE and club racing at Buttonwillow this weekend, Nov 5-6. I'll be in HPDE 1/2. HPDE1 is full but there are lots of openings in HPDE 2, 3, and 4/TT. Configuration is 1 CCW.

Register here: https://www.nasaproracing.com/event/1293
About $270 for two days or $175 for one day. NASA membership is required ($55/year). Gate entrance fee is $10 (including for spectators and non-driving friends) for the weekend. Food is not included but the track has a grill.

If you are new to NASA or have not run with them for over one year, you can get your favorite NASA member, racer, or instructor, a $100 or $200 recruitment bounty by emailing your registration confirmation to him/her after signing up.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Here's a photo of me at Buttonwillow Saturday with an instructor, rocking some body roll. Saturday was nice and dry. Sunday's first session was sunny, but 2nd and 3rd sessions had rain. By 4th session the rain had stopped and puddles were smaller, but track was still damp.

Turning right: http://vanhap.com/imgs/2011/November/11-05-BW-NASA/HPDE 1 & 2/1125 am/slides/VP2_2901.html
Turning left: http://vanhap.com/imgs/2011/November/11-05-BW-NASA/HPDE 1 & 2/920 am/slides/VP2_0556.html

Edit: One more from the 3rd Saturday session, when I had the stickier tires on the car. A little more body roll!
http://vanhap.com/imgs/2011/November/11-05-BW-NASA/HPDE 1 & 2/240 pm/slides/VP2_5378.html

Front camber is set to about -3 degrees per side using Ground Control E46 street camber plates. Stock ZHP springs. Regular tires are Bridgestone Potenza RE760 (255/225 staggered). Afternoon tires are Hankook R-S3 255 square.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can track the car with regular summer tires or even all-season tires. Of course stickier tires go faster (especially when it's dry), but if you're new to tracking the car, there are much more important things to worry about for your first 2 days.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Does the roof rack improve torsional rigidity? Or is it for roll over protection? :rofl:

Just kidding. Cool pics and vid, thanks for posting.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ha! It prevents me from going too fast in the straights. Or maybe it increases downforce? God forbid I should actually roll over, it would surely make the roof damage worse. On a technical track like Buttonwillow the roof rack only does only 3 things:

1) Makes my car easier to pick out in the track photographer's thumbnail gallery
2) Gives me a place to zip-tie silly decorations like the plastic pumpkin, or holiday tinsel
3) Increases wind noise so I can't hear what the instructor is saying on the straights

·
Registered
710 Posts
Ha! It prevents me from going too fast in the straights. Or maybe it increases downforce? God forbid I should actually roll over, it would surely make the roof damage worse. On a technical track like Buttonwillow the roof rack only does only 3 things:

1) Makes my car easier to pick out in the track photographer's thumbnail gallery
2) Gives me a place to zip-tie silly decorations like the plastic pumpkin, or holiday tinsel
3) Increases wind noise so I can't hear what the instructor is saying on the straights
:clap: :rofl:

How about calling it a lateral aerodynamic stabilizer?

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Went to Buttonwillow last Saturday with Speed Ventures. Here are some of my fastest laps from Saturday. I'm not very fast, but on Saturday I was about 3rd fastest in blue, out of 7 drivers with timing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPhcT9X7NfU

Sunday the Blue group was faster, because my best lap time was 3 seconds faster than Saturday, but at least 75% of Blue drivers who paid for timing had faster laps than my best one. Here was my fastest Sunday session. Lap 5 (last hot lap before checkered flag) is 2:17.6.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UogM7CXqCoI

·
Registered
710 Posts
Cool vids, thanks for posting. Nice lines and good laps.

Two suggestions, if you're interested.

- Head Level. Try to avoid leaning your head into the corners. Rotate your head to see downtrack, but keep your head level. Good driving requires controling motion. In order to control motion, you have to sense it. Your inner ear is an important source of your brain's information about motion. It functions best when positioned the way it spends the majority of it's waking time, which is with your eyes level with the ground. Your eyes are also an important source of info about motion, and they feed the best info when they're level with the ground.

- Lower/Steady Hands. Your hands seem a little bit high on the wheel. See if you can get comfortable with them a little bit lower. Having them a bit lower will allow you to turn the wheel farther without having to shuffle. At 2:56 in the first vid, you actually move your left hand up the wheel to turn into a right hander (turn 3? Off Ramp?) and then your left arm is bound up a little more than it would have been if your grip had been right at 9 o'clock. Also, try to be a bit more consistent with your grip. Your grip seems to be light and relaxed, which is great. But you move your thumbs around a lot. After you shift, you're a little inconsistent with where your right hand lands back on the wheel. Each time you move your hands or change your grip, you make tiny changes to that interface between you and the car (it's 2 way, you get info through the wheel, and your brain controls the wheel via moving your arms/hands). Make it easier on your brain by eliminating change from that interface as much as possible.

Hope this helps. Great laps, thanks again for posting the vids. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for the tips! I will try putting my hands lower on the wheel next time I'm at the track. And less thumb twiddling!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts