BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, eventually - I have just about totally rebuilt this GODFORSAKEN motor and it works fairly well BUT I am unable to get my Snap-On Verus Pro (Or a MODIS Edge) scan tool to do a VVT Relearn.
The scanner has the facility and it all runs fine right up until I try to carry out the relearn procedure when it throws up what appears to be a 'Programming' fault code.
So question is do I have a glitch in my VVT module, do I have a faulty stepper motor or do I require an update to the OEM programming on the module??
Checking the stepper motor is easy enough but I need some diagnostic software to check the module & upgrade the OEM programming.
I tried to buy a cable & software from a mob in the UK called 'BMWCables' (I've just escalated that to a claim through PayPal so that says it all I guess) but I was wondering what you Guys out there in E46 Fanatics land have used effectively??
Where do I find OEM Programme info for a 2004 318i and what software works best to do the upgrade, OR has anyone else has a similar experience with the Snap-On scanner relearn function??
I figure having an N42 motor is punishment enough for my sins so any assistance to minimise the pain will be most appreciated !!:thumbsup:

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
12,745 Posts
I did some searching and found this. Maybe worth a try.

"There are two ways you can do this. Either relearn it with ISTA/D, or remove the valvetronic motor and with a screwdriver push the eccentric shaft gear as far back anti clockwise as it can go. Insert the valvetronic motor and connect its 2 pin plug. Then switch the ignition onto position 2 and within a space of 15 seconds, depress the accelerator pedal down to full throttle 10 times and you will hear the valvetronic motor program itself back to factory spec."

1 - 2 of 2 Posts