E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello! so i got a question. i own a n42b20 143hp (105kw) (2001) e46 with 230k km on clock. its eating fuel like crazy, when fuel light came on, i put in 10l of fuel. car idled alot, sumed up around 1 hour. and i drove 35km, with couple of pulls to the redline, and fuel light came on. so yeah, i dont feel like its right. driving normaly at city i get around 60km/10l its around 14mph. i got not a lightest foot, but in a highway i get around 8-9l/100km, still not the best. (its a manual 5 speed)

i have changed almost every sensor on car, from crank to camshafts, to salenoids, and all the other vanos stuff, til there where no more error codes. car drives good, but there is around 2.5-3 seconds missing from 0-100km time, others are getting. (for diagnosis i use delphi ds150e, and bmw k-dcan cable, with inpa, or ista d)

i have pulled the injectors out, and tested how they spray, how they look, etc, and i noticed that when spining the motor they do not fire in the same time, i thinked that they have to fire like 1-4cil, and then 2-3 cil in same time, since those cilinders rise in same time. but they fire like - 1 little time later 4, then crank rotates, then 3 little time later 2. maybe its just that on startup it acts like that to start easer or something? am i just a little too despirate to find whats going on?

car drives good, pulls reasonably, but havent driven with other n42s, on cold startup it just shakes quite a bit, and coughts a little from exhaust, when warmed up and driven, car ticks like a clock, at a stop sometimes i feel like the car is stalled, but its just that quiet!

so the question is, what should i grasp on? fuel presure is kinda high when i replaced the regulator, cant really remember right now, but its just a little over a "maximum" that it can be. ill sure check that tomorow. is it some vanos thing? chain is little streched, but not too too bad.

sparkplugs have been changed to OE, and etc. maf is original. changing it just for testing purposes its kindaaa expensive, but let me know what you guys think.

best regards in advance.

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
7,301 Posts
Likely in order to get any answers here, you'll need to post some engine running values and fuel trim (adaptation) values.
We'll have a much better idea to advise you.

·
Registered
11,612 Posts
Op, get the OBDFusion app for your smartphone or tablet. Buy a communications adapter that plugs into the obd2 port under the dash. Read up on how to use the app. Does the exhaust smell of gas/petrol? Does the exhaust have a blackish color when you accelerate? How does the engine idle? Does its idle speed fluctuate?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Op, get the OBDFusion app for your smartphone or tablet. Buy a communications adapter that plugs into the obd2 port under the dash. Read up on how to use the app. Does the exhaust smell of gas/petrol? Does the exhaust have a blackish color when you accelerate? How does the engine idle? Does its idle speed fluctuate?
rpms on idle is not that that stable. it fluctuates a little bit. exhaust smells like gas till engine was driven for 10km or so. exhaust does not throw clouds of black smoke, only minor grayish when cold, when warm no smoke if im correct. idle is harsh till engine is warm

ill post fuel trims tomorow, its night right now, its quite cold, dont want to disturb neighbours with the car.
checked the fuel presure, everything is in norms. cant test when driving, since my car doesnt have fuel presure sensor.
btw sparkplugs are blackish, i feel like they are definantly too black, not greyish, might post a pic tomorow

·
Registered
11,612 Posts
Blackish spark plugs means the engine is running very rich. That could be caused by the mass air flow (MAF) sensor over-reporting the mass of the air entering the engine or the pre-catalytic converter oxygen sensors over-reporting the amount of unburned oxygen in the exhaust. The OBDFusion app will tell you what the MAF is reporting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well long story short, all of that was because of the fuel... the station i used to fill up in used a crappy ass fuel, not to mension that engine has seen 220k km... and little low on compresion, need to reseat the valves..

after puting some quality gas, engine has sprung to life, just as it is suposted to!
its kinda making me angry, just that i was chasing some kind of ghost for a long time, and its just because of gas.. aperantly they dont check the gas, they mainly sell deasel, and that gas has sitted there well over a year... its just varnished old gas... but yeah.

thank you guys for tryng to help too! im definantly stayng in this comunity, and i got a spare n42b20 comming in, that ill be porting the head of, raising compresion ratio, etc. ill make sure to document it how it is done, how it plays out!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts