E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2001 325i touring ZSP
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I was just wondering if anyone would know what else this squeak could possibly be. For some background information, every pulley and tensioner has been replaced; alternator is brand new, water pump and pulley are brand new, the belt is new, the power steering pump and pulley are also brand new, and I replaced my thermostat/housing as well. In the past 5,000 miles, my touring has drank 3/4 of the coolant in my resevoir as well.

Here’s a link to the sound:

Any thoughts are appreciated!

· Premium Member
2005 330xi Auto, 2006 330ci Vert Auto
2,213 Posts
If you have lost 3/4 of your expansion tank coolant, you need to fix that leak. Have you checked the health of your 2 hard coolant pipes located right under the intake manifold? Do you have a blown head gasket? Any evidence of dried coolant anywhere?

· Registered
2001 325i touring ZSP
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited by Moderator)
If you have lost 3/4 of your expansion tank coolant, you need to fix that leak. Have you checked the health of your 2 hard coolant pipes located right under the intake manifold? Do you have a blown head gasket? Any evidence of dried coolant anywhere?
I don’t believe I have a blown head gasket, as I know compression is good across the board. I did notice dried coolant on my expansion tank, but I don’t know where from. All the hoses in that general area are new and they are all on correctly. Are those coolant hardlines you’re talking about serviceable without taking the IM off?

· Premium Member
2005 330xi Auto, 2006 330ci Vert Auto
2,213 Posts
I don’t believe I have a blown head gasket, as I know compression is good across the board. I did notice dried coolant on my expansion tank, but I don’t know where from. All the hoses in that general area are new and they are all on correctly. Are those coolant hardlines you’re talking about serviceable without taking the IM off?
Replacing the two hard coolant pipes require that you remove the intake manifold, unfortunately.

· Premium Member
5,128 Posts
Guessing based on the information available, your 'new' alternator isn't quite aligned with the rest of the belt train.

They're less and less precise these days.

Could be the water pump, too, as that flange is pressed on, and They're less and less precise these days..

t

· Registered
'04 325i, '02 325iT
1,845 Posts
Looks like nobody mentioned the A/C compressor clutch yet. Try removing just that belt and leave the alternator / water pump / power steering pump belt installed to see if the noise goes away. If not, then pull the other belt off too and see if it goes away then.

· Registered
2001 325i touring ZSP
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Guessing based on the information available, your 'new' alternator isn't quite aligned with the rest of the belt train.

They're less and less precise these days.

Could be the water pump, too, as that flange is pressed on, and They're less and less precise these days..

t
Is that a possibility?? I bought the Bosch 120 amp alternator off of FCPEuro so I thought it was good… As for the water pump, I would consider that more of a possibility since it sounds like it’s coming from that general area more than the alternator.

· Premium Member
12,016 Posts
Is that a possibility?? I bought the Bosch 120 amp alternator off of FCPEuro so I thought it was good… As for the water pump, I would consider that more of a possibility since it sounds like it’s coming from that general area more than the alternator.
After 7 days and still didn't remove the belts to test? Shouldn't take more than 15 minutes to get them out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts