E46 Fanatics Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

· Registered
325i Touring
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Did you see this thread?

Cleaning the threads in block of all oil and the use of a good sealant seems critical.
MrMCar recommended Permatex Form-a-seal #2...non-hardening sealant.
Yeah just read this earlier today. Will start it up tonight and see if it holds any better this time around, might try Permatex #2 if it's still no good.
My biggest concern is still whether driving it all the way in is the right way of going about it? Ideally would leave it flush with the outside surface as it was from factory but both the sealant I used as well as the #2 are non-hardening so doubt they'd hold unless threaded all the way in. What the hell is the blue stuff that BMW uses? I really doubt it's just blue Loctite.

· Registered
2002 330i auto
279 Posts
The type of sealant used should have been quite apparent on removal. If the fastener doesn't seat against anything and isn't a taper thread, it requires an anaerobic thread locker to lock and seal against the oil pressure. Loctite 242 is rated for 100% strength in motor oil at 125°C. I had to look how the preapplied stuff works. It contains micro capsules which burst on installation to release the chemicals which do the work. Loctite has a product specifically for this application.

To have that much of a leak, it has to be pressurize oil, not just a crankcase leak. The crankcase should be below atmospheric pressure, so other than seepage shouldn't leak significantly.

As far as the crank sensor, the o-ring does the sealing. The single bolt has no influence on the seal. If you are concerned about it leaking, pull it and inspect the sealing surfaces and o-ring for damage. We trust o-rings for virtually every other far more critical connection under the hood.

· Registered
325i Touring
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
The type of sealant used should have been quite apparent on removal. If the fastener doesn't seat against anything and isn't a taper thread, it requires an anaerobic thread locker to lock and seal against the oil pressure. Loctite 242 is rated for 100% strength in motor oil at 125°C. I had to look how the preapplied stuff works. It contains micro capsules which burst on installation to release the chemicals which do the work. Loctite has a product specifically for this application.
Which one is that then?
Pretty certain now that the gallery plug is the main leak, the crank sensor has remained dry since reseating in with a new O-ring and the pool under it the first time must have been oil that ran into the pocket there down from the gallery plug along the backing plate.
I've cleaned everything up and reseated the plug with a generous dose of blue Loctite 243. Will try it tonight as see how it holds.
Would be great to know what the actual stuff that BMW uses is though and seat it with that for peace of mind. Looks blue but I suspect it's something stronger than regular Loctite.
Did pop into the local BMW dealership earlier today and sure enough they're as useless as you'd expect. No idea what the sealant is, no stock on the plugs with sealant already pre-applied and at least a month's wait on getting them in. Love it.

· Registered
2002 325xi
1,654 Posts
It's tonight. How did it go? 😄

• Love
Reactions: Vass

· Registered
325i Touring
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner! Regular blue Loctite 243 looks to have done the trick. Ran the car for about a minute, no drips. Took the flywheel off and everything looks bone dry. Previously, it would start to pour out within seconds. Finally! Might actually take it for a drive this weekend.
Thanks team!

· Super Moderator
3,113 Posts
Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner! Regular blue Loctite 243 looks to have done the trick. Ran the car for about a minute, no drips. Took the flywheel off and everything looks bone dry. Previously, it would start to pour out within seconds. Finally! Might actually take it for a drive this weekend.
Thanks team!
Good stuff...Did you fully seat the gallery plug, or did you leave it flush(ish) to the surface?

· Premium Member
2003 325i Touring
5,424 Posts
Glad you got it sorted!

Honestly only the engineers can probably tell you what sealant is used by BMW. All those "micro encapsulated" fasteners come from BMW with the sealant/thread locker already applied and are considered one time use for that reason. When you read BMW's repair instructions that's often a reason for replacing a fastener.

· Registered
2002 330i auto
279 Posts
Honestly only the engineers can probably tell you what sealant is used by BMW. All those "micro encapsulated" fasteners come from BMW with the sealant/thread locker already applied and are considered one time use for that reason. When you read BMW's repair instructions that's often a reason for replacing a fastener.
Oddly enough some of the loctite datasheets say the pre-applied stuff is reusable, I only looked at a few. Pre-applied is used to speed up assembly. Using liquids at home is just fine.

And you're right. I was wondering why I read flywheel bolts need to be replaced, when the fastener isn't TTY. After removing them, it was obviuos they used threadlocker to seal the through holes in the output flange on the crank.

· Registered
325i Touring
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Good stuff...Did you fully seat the gallery plug, or did you leave it flush(ish) to the surface?
Just about, maybe a mm in from the surface, definitely not all the way in.
Locking hubs Automotive tire Wheel Vehicle brake Motor vehicle

Video

At the same time also fitted the plug on the old engine as a test. Took it out the next morning to check and it looks to have set pretty well.
Tire Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Automotive wheel system
Liquid Fluid Gas Snout Auto part

Compare that to the Permatex 59235 that got completely washed out and didn't set at all. No idea how it worked for 50sKid but good on him.
Automotive tire Font Household hardware Tool Fastener

Took the scenic route but looks like there's light at the end of the tunnel. Fingers crossed.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts