BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

81 - 100 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
2005 E46 325ci
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Bump
I haven't been seeing the puff of blue smoke as of lately but the ticking and simultaneous cut of power is still present.
I replaced MAF recently as preventative maintenance but that made no difference.

I have noticed new symptoms such as idle rpm's going up and down randomly and sometimes sitting very low making it almost sound like I'm not running perfectly smooth but it doesn't sound like a misfire and of course I have no codes, stored or confirmed.

Also, I have noticed that if I come to a quick stop at a light for example, I can smell the scent of oil outside my driver side window. I'm not sure what that means but thats also another symptom I have noticed.

This is my most recent diagnostic report:

And this is my most recent hot idle log:

I can provide updated logs if necessary.

If the throbbing brain that is E46 Fanatics could please help me finally close this case I would be forever grateful.

·
Registered
2005 E46 325ci
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Upate
Well the hesitation at 1k rpm's when accelerating is still there but I dont believe I have seen any puff of smoke or any ticking noise but I'll be driving more in the upcoming days so I will keep my ears peeled to see if those two symptoms still remain as well.

As a side note I also noticed that when I parked and I was in neutral at idle and raised the rpm's to exactly 1000-1100 I felt a strong shuddering and shaking as I was holding the rpm's there. I wouldn't say it sounded like a misfire but it kind of felt like one from the shaking and shuddering but it only happened at that rpm, anything below it or above it was completely smooth but funny enough that is exactly the same rpm range (1000-1100) at where I feel the dip in power for a split second when taking off from a set of lights.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've had this issue before. Typically it only happened in the winter. Then some guy told me to buy regular fuel and see if it goes away. I tried it and the noise was gone.

Basically the issue is that in the winter people rarely drive cars which require high octane fuel, so the fuel is old and might be contaminated with water.

So try and buy premium at a very busy gas station or just buy regular for 2 fill ups and see if it goes away. You most likely got water in your fuel.

Keep in mind, do this at your own risk. If your engine blows up due to regular fuel don't go complaining.

·
Registered
2005 E46 325ci
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
I've had this issue before. Typically it only happened in the winter. Then some guy told me to buy regular fuel and see if it goes away. I tried it and the noise was gone.

Basically the issue is that in the winter people rarely drive cars which require high octane fuel, so the fuel is old and might be contaminated with water.

So try and buy premium at a very busy gas station or just buy regular for 2 fill ups and see if it goes away. You most likely got water in your fuel.

Keep in mind, do this at your own risk. If your engine blows up due to regular fuel don't go complaining.
I see where you're coming from and it is a very fascinating insight. I actually pretty much live in the city so each gas station I go to is usually very busy so thankfully I'm covered there but I always generally do tend to always stick with busy ones just for the fact that they tend to always have the freshest fuel too lol.
So that doesn't really apply in my case but it definitely could for someone living in rural areas!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I see where you're coming from and it is a very fascinating insight. I actually pretty much live in the city so each gas station I go to is usually very busy so thankfully I'm covered there but I always generally do tend to always stick with busy ones just for the fact that they tend to always have the freshest fuel too lol.
So that doesn't really apply in my case but it definitely could for someone living in rural areas!
Are you sure your oil is not low?

·
Registered
2005 E46 325ci
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Update
So after observing carefully for nearly 600km's I've noticed that after the new CCV the sound lessened by about 90% however I still hear a bit of the noise when inq 3rd gear going up a steep hill at around 3k rpm (ensuring not to lug the engine).
Coincidently once I came to a stop at the top of the hill at the lights I started to feel like I was idling very rough/misfiring for a second and then recovered immediately without stalling or anything. No codes.
It was very brief and it was while I was idling right after I came to a stop after hearing the ticking sound again for the first time in weeks.
I had only one other incidence of this idle situation happening before but it was when I came home in the evening after a normal drive where I would idle rough/misfire for a second and then everything back to normal as if nothing happened. No codes as well that time.

What could this be?

My best guess is that it could still be oil so I'm considering the o2 pilot mod given the fact how rare this was, how brief and how minor this was (that's why I wouldn't even call it misfiring) and how it only happened at idle.

Side note: ICV is clean and functioning properly, checked when did CCV.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Stethoscope will work for finding anything noisy, but this method works much better, since it really amplifies the sound.

·
Registered
2005 E46 325ci
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Stethoscope will work for finding anything noisy, but this method works much better, since it really amplifies the sound.

This is really helpful, unfortunately the sound only occurs under load so I can't really try that while driving of course lol

·
Registered
2005 E46 325ci
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Update

So the weather is slowly starting to warm up here in Western Canada and I dont know if that has anything to do with my situation or not but I have recently started hearing the ticking return after replacing the entire ccv system once more.
As usual it is at throttle tip in, usually at low rpm's (sometimes even mid) at high load and it even is accompanied by brief hesitation occasionally.
I of course ensure that the fuel is of the highest quality every time I gas up and my oil consumption is actually quite high at this time which leads me to believe that after going over pretty much everything with a fine toothed comb I believe that the only thing that could be causing this is major oil consumption being introduced into the combustion chamber either causing very slight and intermittent pre-detonation or "pinging" OR the oil thats being introduced into the combustion chamber is leaving behind carbon deposits on the piston increasing compression causing slight pre-detonation or "pinging".
I really hope that's not the case but unless anyone else has any suggestions of what else it could be, I'm going to try to do the o2 pilot mod to attempt to stop oil consumption and then see if the sound continues. If so, then I think its safe to say that it has nothing to do with oil consumption.

PS
I've noticed that after driving spiritedly for a few minutes I notice that the frequency of when I hear that rattling/pinging sound decreases and sometimes I dont hear it afterwards for the rest of my drive.

·
Registered
2000 323Ci coupe manual
297 Posts
My car doesn't burn oil but many here have said a switch to a "diesel" oil with its detergents helps in those cases. Many use the Shell rotella T6 5-40 oil. If you need/want 5-30 try Pennzoil Euro wnich is for gas and diesel and is LL-04 certified.

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
5,028 Posts
I just listened to your video (1st. post) over and over again.
I hate phone videos because the sound capture is lousy.
I really don't think that's pre-ignition. Sounds mechanical.

·
Registered
2005 E46 325ci
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
My car doesn't burn oil but many here have said a switch to a "diesel" oil with its detergents helps in those cases. Many use the Shell rotella T6 5-40 oil. If you need/want 5-30 try Pennzoil Euro wnich is for gas and diesel and is LL-04 certified.
Very interesting, how much do these alternative oils impact oil consumption?

·
Registered
2005 E46 325ci
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Yeah sorry about that first vid, it isn't even mine but I used it since it was the only video that was most similar to the sound I'm experiencing and you could hear it much more clearly on that vid. However in my case, my rattle noise is not consistent like it is in that clip but very intermittent, usually on throttle tip in or under high load situations until I reach higher rpm's.
This is my vid and yes the audio quality is horrible but I can't seem to find any other way to record the sound since it only happens during these unique circumstances.
(The sound is best heard at the 0-1 second timestamps in the clip)

I noticed the sound is much easier to hear when I'm driving right next to a road divider so I'm not sure if it's coming from the bottom of the engine or whether the sound just bounces off better into the cabin when driving next to a structure for the sound to resonate off of.

I'll try to get another clip, possibly driving next to a divider this time and hopefully the phone mic will pick it up.

·
Registered
2005 E46 325ci
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Also, what do you reckon it could be if it is in fact mechanical?

·
Registered
2005 E46 325ci
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Is it possible the exhaust manifold heat shields are loose and rattling?
I considered them as well so I double and triple checked them and they are bolted and holding strong in place.
Also, it wouldn't unfortunately explain the occasional hesitation that accompanies the sound :(

81 - 100 of 119 Posts