BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

61 - 80 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
2005 E46 325ci
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
This actually makes sense. I too am chasing an injector issue. Zero PSI at the fuel rail in the mornings before I start the car. Already changed pump/filter checked fuses etc - all OK. I previously noted that the fuel trims are different between the banks. I am thinking that fuel delivery is not consistent across the banks probably because at least 1 injector is leaking/faulty or O-rings. Too cold to do accurate fault-finding and with 140K miles - ordered 6 new VDO injectors. If you order from stealer - twice the price for exact same item. Also read somewhere there were problems with 'early' injectors and Realoem for my car shows they were updated from 2004 onwards. Can't help but feel that fuel trim problems may be due to 'failing' injectors with inconsistent delivery. They tend to be overlooked - not least because they are difficult to fault find and 'prove' a particular injector - and of course expensive.
I actually had about 50psi at the fuel rail when checking it while turning the key but I was suspecting it had to be them as I had ruled most other things out and the puff of blue smoke had to either be oil or fuel but since I wasn't losing oil pretty much at all I thought it had to be one of the injectors malfunctioning and sometimes dumping too much gas into one cylinder when I request a high load.
Based on looking at the plugs after a drive where I saw the smoke I noticed that cylinder 4 and 5 were the only ones a little fouled up so I decided to replace those injectors just now but after putting everything back together I had a bad misfire on cyl 5.
I moved that new injector to cyl 3 and everything ran smooth so I might have just not installed them correctly the first time but I notice now that although I don't have codes I have fairly high negative fuel trims.

·
Registered
10,382 Posts
Hey guys if anyone could possibly point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.
I've got a 2005 E46 325ci (217k km's) and I've had this intermittent rattle under load (never at idle) between 2-4k rpm's under heavy load for about 20k km's now and I've replaced my clutch and flywheel, vanos seals (seals and anti-rattle kit), checked disa (minimal play since its only about 2 years old) and checked even exhaust flanges, all heatshields including one on headers.
It sounds like a metallic clanging that almost like hitting a metal pole with stick repeatedly when accelerating
PS.
No codes (pending or confirmed) and fuel trims under load are 1-2 but at idle 8-10 (not sure if relevant but just putting it out there)

I've suggestions that have been anything from head gasket failure (never have overheated and not losing coolant at all), to knock sensors (not sure how that would come into play) to even carbon deposits raising my compression (I keep my engine as clean as I can, only the best oil, 5w40 liquimoly every 8k km's and only the very best gasoline I can get my hands on in Canada, Shell 91 or Chevron 94) but still no definitive answer that truly fits all my symptoms.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It's hard to catch the sound on camera since its only present under load between 2-4k rpm's but this video has an almost identical sound to mine, granted the sound in this video is much louder than mine but it's the closest example I could find

What could I be overlooking?

Are you using Regular fuel? You're describing engine knock from bad gas. Knock comes under load and at relative high engine speeds, such as going uphill on the freeway and trying to speed up. I see that you said you are using 91 or 94, so gas should not be the trouble, but you are describing knock that comes from gas.

·
Registered
2005 E46 325ci
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Are you using Regular fuel? You're describing engine knock from bad gas. Knock comes under load and at relative high engine speeds, such as going uphill on the freeway and trying to speed up. I see that you said you are using 91 or 94, so gas should not be the trouble, but you are describing knock that comes from gas.
Yeah I've pretty much done everything I can to rule out the gas and I've reached a dead end since I only ever use the best gas I can get my hands on and I've added octane booster which had no effect as well.
My compression is also perfectly within spec.

·
Registered
2004 330i 6MT Touring
125 Posts
Have the injectors, just waiting for good weather. Was always gonna report back. What I do every morning for 1st start of the day is cycle ignition switch 5 times, so on wait 5 secs off. Fires on 1st crank after doing this👍
Replaced all 6 injectors with the new OEM VDO's. Not too bad a job - just makes sure you clip them to rail 1st before pushing down.
Pressure at rail was about 50 psi this morning so I am assuming leak is gone. Started on 1st crank. Noticed some fuel all over cylinder 2 injector.
Runs like a top now. Fuel trims on both banks on ODBfusion show both STFT's more or less identical at -2. Happy with that. Lets see if they improve👍
I used the following DIY's:
BMW E46 Fuel Injector Replacement - 1998-2006 3 Series - M52/M54
https://youtu.be/lXElXEw1Ji4hmQ
Cheers

·
Registered
2005 E46 325ci
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Replaced all 6 injectors with the new OEM VDO's. Not too bad a job - just makes sure you clip them to rail 1st before pushing down.
Pressure at rail was about 50 psi this morning so I am assuming leak is gone. Started on 1st crank. Noticed some fuel all over cylinder 2 injector.
Runs like a top now. Fuel trims on both banks on ODBfusion show both STFT's more or less identical at -2. Happy with that. Lets see if they improve👍
I used the following DIY's:
BMW E46 Fuel Injector Replacement - 1998-2006 3 Series - M52/M54
https://youtu.be/lXElXEw1Ji4hmQ
Cheers
What kind of fuel pressure guage do you use?

·
Registered
2005 E46 325ci
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Just one that connects to schrader valve. Whats available here in UK will be different to what you can get there. Its a £20 from china job 0-100psi.
Ahh gotcha.
Also, when you put the injectors into the rail and put the rail into the manifold, how did you make sure the injectors were properly seated on the manifold since it pushed as much as I could until the brackets bottomed out on the brackets on the manifold where you bolt the rail to the manifold but I'm not certain if that's confirmation that they are fully in.

·
Registered
2004 330i 6MT Touring
125 Posts
Ahh gotcha.
Also, when you put the injectors into the rail and put the rail into the manifold, how did you make sure the injectors were properly seated on the manifold since it pushed as much as I could until the brackets bottomed out on the brackets on the manifold where you bolt the rail to the manifold but I'm not certain if that's confirmation that they are fully in.
Make sure injectors are all pushed up into rail and then secure with the clips. Check each clip is holding the injector in the rail. Note that the injector does not push all the way into the rail but enough to make sure the clip is fitted all the way round the injector. Then once you are happy with all 6 you can then put a bit of oil on the manifold injector o-rings then its just a case of pushing the rail down. Tighten the 4 screws that hold the rail in place. There is nothing more to do. The above works. When you look at the injectors in place its like they are half way pushed up into rail and half way pushed down into the manifold.

·
Registered
2005 E46 325ci
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Make sure injectors are all pushed up into rail and then secure with the clips. Check each clip is holding the injector in the rail. Note that the injector does not push all the way into the rail but enough to make sure the clip is fitted all the way round the injector. Then once you are happy with all 6 you can then put a bit of oil on the manifold injector o-rings then its just a case of pushing the rail down. Tighten the 4 screws that hold the rail in place. There is nothing more to do. The above works. When you look at the injectors in place its like they are half way pushed up into rail and half way pushed down into the manifold.
Okay I did exactly that but when I was putting the injectors into the manifold and pushing the fuel rail down to push the injectors in, the fuel rail brackets would bottom out on the spot where you bolt the rail to the manifold so does that mean that the injectors are perfectly seated?

·
Registered
2004 330i 6MT Touring
125 Posts
Okay I did exactly that but when I was putting the injectors into the manifold and pushing the fuel rail down to push the injectors in, the fuel rail brackets would bottom out on the spot where you bolt the rail to the manifold so does that mean that the injectors are perfectly seated?
Yep. Got my lamp to visually check each one looks the same in place. You should be able to twist them by hand in place, and that confirms fit.

·
Registered
2005 E46 325ci
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Yep. Got my lamp to visually check each one looks the same in place. You should be able to twist them by hand in place, and that confirms fit.
Well I mean if they're already in the fuel rail I couldn't really twist them in by hand into the manifold otherwise I'd pull them out of the rail lol

·
Registered
2001 330xi
893 Posts
Well I mean if they're already in the fuel rail I couldn't really twist them in by hand into the manifold otherwise I'd pull them out of the rail lol
I did this not long ago.
When you put the injectors onto the rail and clipped them on properly (w silicon grease), and then you pushed down on the injectors and rail to seat them in their holes. Then you tightened down the bolts that fasten the rail to the manifold; you are golden. There should be no leaks. Of course use new o-rings, otherwise you'll likely have one.

·
Registered
2005 E46 325ci
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
I did this not long ago.
When you put the injectors onto the rail and clipped them on properly (w silicon grease), and then you pushed down on the injectors and rail to seat them in their holes. Then you tightened down the bolts that fasten the rail to the manifold; you are golden. There should be no leaks. Of course use new o-rings, otherwise you'll likely have one.
Alright perfect, thanks for confirming as I've had to redo this job twice because the first time I had a misfire and then the second my fuel trims were very rich and I wasn't running too smooth. Thats when I got all new o-rings and made sure the clips were on and I mounted the injectors on the rail like you said and then mounted them into the manifold the best I could until the rail bottomed out on the brackets where you screw it in.

·
Registered
2004 330i 6MT Touring
125 Posts
I think so. However this time of year it would never happen.
Only ever happened in summer going up hill about 1000rpm then put in 3rd and then the rattle.
I could never prove that there was detonation being reported - but it sounded like it, and that's why it was mentioned by me and another chap that we were not convinced that it was even detonating.
I had a catch can installed which gave higher vacuum but then removed back to OEM vacuum - with an in-line catch can. Collects a lot of yellow gunk that is heading towards the manifold intake - so if the catch can don't collect it the CCV will hopefully work as it is supposed to:rolleyes:
Week or so ago fitted 6 new OEM injectors. Car runs best it ever has - LTFT's are around zero - crazy.
In summary maybe a perfect as can be running engine - not burning oil is the best thing you can have where the ultimate indicator may be the lowest LTFS's you can get.
As you may have seen a lot of threads about this with no definitive fix, or proof what it is - just a sound.
In the mean time I wait for summer.

·
Registered
2005 E46 325ci
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Car_ception and raykelly, is your pinging gone now?
Nope, to confirm sound is still there so it wasn't the injectors.
I'm now suspecting the ccv system dumping excess amount of oil into the intake causing the sound and the following puff of smoke.
Still need to confirm but thats my next focus.

·
Registered
2005 E46 325ci
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Besides the ccv and valve seals, what else would cause a blue puff of smoke on acceleration and a ticking sound simultaneously.

61 - 80 of 119 Posts