E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2005 330i (my first car) and am aware a few issues with it (such as a coolant leak, of course) as I took my mechanic with me and had him hook his scanner up to the car to check everything out.

Now, neither the seller nor my mechanic mentioned anything regarding the engine oil, no lights have turned on on the dashboard, and I personally have not noticed any visible leaks (aside from the coolant) after a few days of driving; however, when I went to go check the oil level after filling up my coolant expansion tank (added coolant cold, then let the car run for a bit to warm it up before I checked the oil), the oil showed at the minimum level on the dipstick.

Naturally, I immediately bought a quart of full synthetic 5w-30 and added the full quart- I checked the dipstick again, and good as new, the oil level was back to normal. I drove home (maybe 5 mile distance) and decided to go ahead and check the oil once again just for kicks. It was back down to the minimum. I thought maybe it was just a weird fluke, and checked again a few hours later, and the dipstick still showed the minimum.

As I said previously, the seller and my mechanic both made no mention of any issues with the oil, there are no lights on the dashboard, and I have not seen any visible leaks myself either, and yet after adding a full quart of oil, I'm back at the minimum less than 10 miles later.

Am I leaking or is there a completely other issue with the car I'm unaware of? Or am I just a moron that can't figure out something obvious on a new-to-me car?

Any help or advice would be super appreciated, as I'm completely lost.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The most likely thing is that it just needs more oil because 1 quart wasn’t enough. I’m just going to add more oil and see how it goes. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

·
Registered
180 Posts
Did you wipe off the dipstick after you poured the additional quart in before you checked the oil level. The best method to check the oil after adding a quart is to wait a few minutes to let the oil drain to the oil pan, then pull the dipstick, wipe it off, reinsert the dipstick, then pull the dipstick out and read it. If you add a quart then immediately read the dipstick without first wiping it clean, will give you a false reading as the poured-in oil loads oil onto the dipstick.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts