BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have searched this site and anywhere I can find reference to e46 engine noise to determine what is causing the noise in my engine but have not succeeded.:banghead: So I need your help to listen to the video link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRI_kSqSK3c and provide your expert opinion. It's the background low pitch noise.
The noise is associated with the alternator belt/pulley subsystem as the noise goes away if I take the belts off.
I have done the following so far to that subsystem:
Water pump and thermostat were changed 3 yrs ago.
Changed all the pulleys, belts few weeks ago.
I didn't change the hydraulic piston of the tensioner but just the pulley. When I listen with stethoscope the top of the piston has the worst noise but I am not sure if it can be caused by the piston itself.
Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
1. Your DISA is bad
2. The other sound is probably the water pump ready to bite the dust.
@faisala

I agree with Solidjake on it probably being the DISA, you can tell from your vid that there is a definite noise coming from that area. (near the rear intake runners.)

Also, that low rumbling noise does sound like the water pump (possible the bearings beginning to fail)

How many miles are on your vehicle?

Has there been any service done to the cooling system before??

·
Registered
964 Posts
Man that sound makes me shiver ... (I hate my car making noises :p)

Yeah you've got two out of place sounds there ... the light constant clicking noise which as Jake says is your DISA, (mine is gone too, thread and noise is here http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=831510&highlight= skip through to 39 seconds)

The other noise almost sounds muffled ... I'd definitely be checking the water pump as bimmersgarage suggested ...

·
Registered
22 Posts
It's merely some leftover body parts from the person you hit last night dried on the underside of the belt, they've formed into a hard clump hence the low thumping sound when it hits a pulley it can reverberate through. I'd pull the belt and clean it or just replace it, remember, bleach breaks down dna.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I own a bmw repair shop in greenville not far from you..... give me a call (864)329-7179..... If i dont answer leave a message i will call you back. If I cant help over the phone since your not far maybe we can get it down here and look at it.

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
Well if the sound goes away when belts are off, check everything that gets driven by the belts. Check EVERY single component carefully for play (side to side) and for worn bearings, WP , P/S pump, AC, etc. Or it may be that something is rubbing on something. There is no definitive answer, you must check it yourself and see whats wrong.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for the responses. I think I will change the hydraulic piston as that is where the noise is the loudest. I did take is apart last weekend but could not detect any problems with it so just cleaned it up and put it back.
I have 73K miles in the car and the water pump was changed by a local BMW shop 3 yrs ago when I had 59K miles on it, with thermostat, temp. sensor etc as part of maintenance. I had not fully enjoyed this car as I had a few other cars I was sharing my time with. I will be driving this as the primary car from now and should be putting more miles :)
I am not sure what type of pump they used for replacement but when I pull on the shaft I do not detect any play. I was thinking about changing the expansion tank and doing a coolant flush so I may just change the waterpump and thermostat again with while I am at it. What water pump do you recommend?
In terms of the DISA, I am thinking of taking it out this weekend and inspect/clean according to some of the other threads to see if that makes a difference.
Thanks again and will post my finding on the DISA later this weekend.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Thanks everyone for the responses. I think I will change the hydraulic piston as that is where the noise is the loudest. I did take is apart last weekend but could not detect any problems with it so just cleaned it up and put it back.
I have 73K miles in the car and the water pump was changed by a local BMW shop 3 yrs ago when I had 59K miles on it, with thermostat, temp. sensor etc as part of maintenance. I had not fully enjoyed this car as I had a few other cars I was sharing my time with. I will be driving this as the primary car from now and should be putting more miles :)
I am not sure what type of pump they used for replacement but when I pull on the shaft I do not detect any play. I was thinking about changing the expansion tank and doing a coolant flush so I may just change the waterpump and thermostat again with while I am at it. What water pump do you recommend?
In terms of the DISA, I am thinking of taking it out this weekend and inspect/clean according to some of the other threads to see if that makes a difference.
Thanks again and will post my finding on the DISA later this weekend.
Awesome stuff ... in relation to the DISA, mine isn't the same as yours but I've read some threads on your type, it is possible to repair, but I guess its a question of for how long, do you want to be pulling it back out again in 6 - 12 months time to do the same thing ... I'm just replacing mine, thankyou to Mike @ thebmwpartsstore

·
Registered
395 Posts
I take that back.. listened to my vid again and there is a much more distinct squealing sound. never hurts to change out the tensioner and idler if you're in there though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts