E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've recently bought myself an '03 BMW E46 330ci, and now I'm encountering a few technical difficulties with it. I'm new to BMWs so bare with me.

While I was driving it home, a power steering hose cracked and spilled oil all over the engine compartment. Soon after, the DSC, EML and Brake lights lit up on my dash, and the car entered LIMP mode.

My guess is that the oil might have went through some connectors or such and now I have to clean them.

Another guess is that there might be a vacuum leak that is causing all this mayhem, as when I turn off the engine I hear a pressure release sound. Some say this sound is normal, some say it's a vacuum leak.

Anyway, while I was cleaning the engine bay, I noticed a hanging wire, not connected to anything and hopefully this might be the answer to the problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
also check icv. not much else it could be in that area. that cable is too short
Thanks for the support.

I've checked but it isn't from the icv, nor from the throttle body.

The plug has two pins. I've tried looking for a code on it and what I could manage to get is a number 13. The MAF plug has no. 7 on it, for instance.

·
Registered
29,664 Posts
I could name everything that has a plug on it since i've removed everything on the car at least a few times to clean and inspect it. but it would be faster to just look around as best you can with a flashlight. remove airbox. disa?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I could name everything that has a plug on it since i've removed everything on the car at least a few times to clean and inspect it. but it would be faster to just look around as best you can with a flashlight. remove airbox. disa?
It's not the disa :(
I've been looking for the socket for 5 hours now. Even used my phone to film some of the least accessible areas and then review the footage hoping to find it. Haven't found that electric valve silver330i suggested. I think it's way back and really impossible to reach.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
You can reach that valve behind the manifold but you have to remove the trim panel behind it. Under/behind the cabin air filter housing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Check the electric valve on the back of the intake manifold.
Well, I'm speechless. There's no such thing on my car :confused:. Nor is the non-return valve (11611312737). So it seems that is where the cable should go.

That is where the electric valve should be.

Could all the mayhem(EML, DSC and brake light + limp mode, or even the vacuum leak) be caused by this? What do I do now?

I mean it's really weird. Only after 120 miles of driving it did all the problems begin, so if the car didn't have those 2 parts from the beginning, I don't think this should've caused it. But what do I know.

P.S. I did find a hole in the elbow tube, so that's part of the leak.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
It probably fell down? that clip is only plastic so maybe it broke

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.