BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well to start off the first system i had in my car was this setup below, two 10" JL 10W6V2 subs powered by a JL 1000/1 amp.

click any of the pics below to get the fullsize view

This setup sounded pretty good but it took up too much space and weighed a lot. I was thinking of switching to the Steathboxes but i already had this setup so it would be a waste of money. But to my misfortune, i blew one of the subs! This was my excuse to switch to the Stealthboxes. So i ordered a set, hooked them up to a JL 250/1 amp and was pretty impressed by these little subs. They sounded great but not as good as my previous setup, but i expected this. Being the serious audiophile that i am, i wanted more poWa! So i thought the best way was to upgrade the 8" subs that come with the JL Stealthboxes. I began searching for a 8" sub that can take lots of power. It didn't take long before i found exactly what i was searching for - Rockford Fostgate RFD 2208. These are dual 4 ohm with continous power of 400 watts RMS and 800 watts peak. I found a great deal on them on eBay for only $90 USD each. My local audio shop wanted $239 CAD for them each! So when these babies finally arrived in the mail, i proceeded to the upgrade. I first removed the Stealthboxes from my car.

This is what they look like:

rear shot:

subs removed from the housing, FYI these are single voice coils 8 ohm 150 watts RMS and i think 300 watts peak, pretty weak...

now the new and powerful RF's, ooOoOOOOoo they are much more BeeFy!

Here's the housing of the JL Stealths:

stupid image limits, continuned on next post >>>

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
rear shot:

Now i tried to fit the RF's into the JL housing but it wouldn't fit because they are wider at the bottom. So i had to get creative and cut the bottom portion wider with a jigsaw. It cut pretty easy because it is plastic:

I now then plopped the RF and it fit perfectly with the screw holes matching up. I removed the rubber surround on the woofer cuz it stuck out too much.

rear shot:

my funky wiring:

screwed in:

o they look so pretty don't they...

continuned on next post >>>

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Now came the hard part. I had to think of somewhere to mount the amp. I was planning to use the JL 1000/1 amp that i used before with the JL 10's. I came up with a plan but it involved cutting of my beloved car. oh nO! Then i thought it's only a peice of styrofoam, how much could they cost to replace? Anyway i'll let the next few pics do the talking...

such a perfect fit!

my line out converter with da PhatBoX:

other side:

finished product, ya i know my trunk is dirty:

Now the sound... WoW! Such an improvemant over the standard JL Stealths!! I had excessive rattling at first but i fixed that by placing some foam crap in strategic places. It now sounds even better than when i had my 10's in! For those of you who want some serious baSs but don't want to sacrifice trunk space and weight i recommend this setup. AwesomE!!!

FIN.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
CynicalWry said:
uhh.... duude? Those fins are to relieve the heat that the amp creates. By insulating them, you will do serious damage to your amp (probably blow it). The amp needs to have air circulation
nice setup but.. :werd:

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CynicalWry said:
uhh.... duude? Those fins are to relieve the heat that the amp creates. By insulating them, you will do serious damage to your amp (probably blow it). The amp needs to have air circulation
Ya i thought about that to. But it's only a 4ohm load on the amp and the amp can take 1.5ohm min. I felt the amp after like 30 mins of high volume and it was only a bit warm.

The speakers are RFD2208.

·
Registered
449 Posts
First, very nice and innovative idea - I was thinking about doing this as well awihle back, but ran into a couple of issues:

1) The stealthboxes create a free-air enclosure. Those RF subs you use are for sealed enclosures. I'm sure the bass sounds LOUDER, but I wonder wha the soundquality is like. Very few companies are making 8" free air subs anymore, which is why I decided to just stick w/ the stock JLs.

2) Your amp WILL most likely die out w/o some sort of ventilation. Its just a matter of time - like say a long road trip?

·
Registered
54 Posts
You aren't limited to IB subs

You can use a resistive mebrane to create an aperiodic enclosure. I went this route after smoking my two JL IB's....

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Re: You aren't limited to IB subs

spr0cket said:
You can use a resistive mebrane to create an aperiodic enclosure. I went this route after smoking my two JL IB's....

i don't think there's enough air space in there....

·
Im The Man
1,265 Posts

spr0cket said:

How do u like the RE 8's?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts

spr0cket said:

Can you post some details about what you've done? I haven't heard of this kind of a setup before. How is the SQ?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Bimmer the enclosure isn't limited purely to the size of the Stealth enclosure mount....
The punched steel mech visible on the bottom of the left enclosure is the outer face of a sandwich assembly. The pink substance is fibregrlass which is then snadwiched flat in between another punched steel sheet (not visible as inside the enclsoure below driver magnet).
You can achieve most of the benefits of a sealed enclsoure without sacrificing any space to an enclosure.

In the normal mounts the drivers would be free air or "IB" and this limits power handling capability as well as narrowing driver choice and preventing any tailoring of the driver response without EQ'ing.

For anyone technically interested, the driver / enclosure combination has an overall QTC of around .6 for a smooth and non emphasised performance. The in car response is 3dB down at 20Hz compared to a 50Hz ref but up 2dB at 25Hz.
Transient repsonse is superb and extension fufills all of the design goals. Though some might find the bass a little "dry" or over damped - again, thsi can easily be tailored to taste based upon the resistance of the membrane and through use of a signal generator for testing / tuning.

Oh, and the RE8's are superb value drivers given their budget price.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
AHhhhh this is EXACTLY what I was planning... same subs too...
Good posts thanks for the pics... I will be attempting this too in the near future :D

edit- from how far away can you hear that system when turned up? :D

·
Registered
54 Posts
Nico - the overall SPL is fairly low. But then that's a personal choice for my listening .... I'm not a fan of overblown bass, th subs are barely distinguishable as they're curretnyl matched and tuned. You only notice they're not there if you turn them off, and you then lose some of the atmosphere and ambience of recordings.

If you're looking for high SPL, then go with a simpler ported design.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
i see... thanks for the info. my #1 concern is keeping the stuff practially invisible... and at the same time as powerful as possible; so the modified stealthbox is my best bet.

does anyone know a way I can get just the stealthbox enclusure?

·
Im The Man
1,265 Posts
spr0cket said:
Nico - the overall SPL is fairly low. But then that's a personal choice for my listening .... I'm not a fan of overblown bass, th subs are barely distinguishable as they're curretnyl matched and tuned. You only notice they're not there if you turn them off, and you then lose some of the atmosphere and ambience of recordings.

If you're looking for high SPL, then go with a simpler ported design.

I was this >-< close to getting some RE8s. But the rumors of possibly an XXX 8 in the future made me hold off on it and just use my CDT MS 80 i had in my room.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've heard the same thing, but given the great price I picked them up for, this could be considered a prototype project.

Also, if a XXX8 did appear, I suspect it will require the Stealth enclosure to be modified seriously to accomodate the magnet structure and motor assembly they're bound to fit to it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts