BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

281 - 300 of 302 Posts

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #281 (Edited)
Feb 8, 2016 New OEM Wheel Bearings

Well there are a lot of threads with people getting lucky to find oem wheel bearings for their non-Ms from AutoZone. Wish this was the case with the M3. Out wheel bearings have a few different holes and aligning pins on the hub face. Seeing how I've had a few miles on the car and these have never been changed I wanted to refresh the front. So a pair of OEM Wheel bearings, new dust caps, seals and front nuts ordered from the guys at FCP Euro and then installed. I had to buy the new 46mm nut for the job. Car never made any graoning from the front but it does feel more smooth now.

46mm nut

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #282
Very nice Alex! :thumbsup:
thanks Charlie
Hm, interesting. I may look into finding a zhp rack. I know you can order them via rackdoctor.net but I want to ask them some questions on if I can fit a Z3 steering rack and which one he would recommend to me for the e46 chassis. The stock rack on the e46 chassis are relatively the same, but for some reason the ZHP and the z3 have significantly shorter ratios; the z3 rack being the shortest. The thing that interests me on the z3 rack is I've heard that it can fit on the e46 with some slight modification. But the z3 itself is much smaller of a car so maybe the z3 rack would be proportionate to a "track oriented" daily e46 coupled with my suspension mods as is.
it's hard to say which one you'd like the best. it's not only the amount the rack travels but some are said to be linear while others progressive. so depending on the driving you do and the set-up you have on your car changes things too.
Very clean. I wish I had it. Which navigation unit do you have?
update to the lastest Dynavin. had the early Dynavin before and loved it so figured i would give the next model a try.
btw my old one will be FS if i like this one :shhh:

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #286
Just looked through the entire thread Alex. Incredible work and very tasteful modding :thumbup:
thanks Jake
Wow!!! 2011 - 2016.. Great motivation to keep them forever....
thanks, yep keep up on them and they'll return the smiles on the road
inspirational stuff right here
thank you. it's definitely a hobby and passion. been holding off on a few things i wanted to do but just did one of the last group of things yesterday.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #287
2-25: Giubo, Trans mounts, CSB

Well after ~45 thousand miles my UUC black trans mount failed. UUC sent some new ones quickly under warranty but I'm not excited to see how badly they failed.
thread here http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=16908266

At this same time with the overall miles on car I wanted to do the CSB and flex disc (aka giubo). The center support bearing showed some signs of wear but nothing too bad but the stronger M3 giubo had a lot of hairline cracks through-out. So I'm glad I did these now and not waited too long. Got lucky enough to have a shop lift on this job.

With the giubo, CSB, centering bushing and nut replacement parts I went all OEM. Using quality on these parts may cost more but you won't be back in doing it again anytime soon. I've made that mistake with a less expensive giubo, only to have it shred under 10K miles.
All the old parts.

With new parts the car feels better. Especially the shifter feel, when the trans mounts go it moves around some. Now it's a very solid feel and no vbrations through the lever. Shifting is effortless again. It doesn't rock at all on sharp turns.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #288
2-29 Exhaust Cam Sensor

Ok, well the day after doing the maintenance work on the driveline I get a SES light. Check the codes and it's the Exhaust Cam Sensor :banghead:
Which makes sense as I've had a slight idle stutter now and then.

So off to BMW for a new one, little guy is expensive too..ugh. Again this is something that is smart to use Genuine BMW on as the aftermarket ones have bad reputations of failing quickly.
Stupid litle bugger is really in a tight area and tricky to get to and replace unlike the other E46s. So after some scratched up knuckles (because gloves take up to much room in the tight spot). Replaced it, code gone and car silky smooth at idle again. As shown BMW for the M3 has made this part wider and hopefully improved.
For M3 owners interested. New version on Left and Old version on Right

·
Registered
Best M5 Ever Made!
6,342 Posts
Nice progress man, that is NUTS about those UUC trans bushings!

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #290
Nice progress man, that is NUTS about those UUC trans bushings!
yes it was pretty crazy seeing that. i have them in a box and they have leaked out all over the box. :yikes:

i will be checking the new replacement soon. so far they feel great so i don't suspect they're goo.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #291
March 24 VCG and Valves

Another entry to the M3s car journal. Thursday I replaced the valve cover gasket and all those other gaskets and rings with oem replacements. Checked the vanos hub tabs while in there and the valve adj. Photo doesn't look as copper-goldish on the cylinder head and cams as it did in person. Everythng checked out and looks good.
On a side note, good thing I bought two new copper crush o-rings from BMW. Because I managed to lose both the old ones taking off oil drain line on the left side. Hadn't had that happen before. I had even stuffed a towel on the left side of engine and bay to stop anything from falling down into the abyss that is the engine tray. But little tricky guys managed to fall down a small heat shielding hole...ugh.
most parts bought from Gareth and the great crew over at FCP Euro :thumbup:

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #294
I will be back in Southern California towards the end of May and for the most of June. I'll be around Surf City for some of the time. Maybe we can meet up over a drink or something and chat about cars and other stuff
thanks for invite. send me a pm when you're around.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #296
10-27-16 Motorsport WP and T-stat

well back in October replaced the waterpump with a Genuine BMW M3 pump. Last one was on it's way out.
At this time I figured why not install the cooler more expensive Motorsport 55*C thermostat pn 11531417215.
Well since my car isn't a dedicated track car it really didn't need it. Sold it later to a track friend and went back to stock 80*C.
And of course only Genuine BMW coolant for the system. :thumbup:

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #297
3-18-17 tps

Well after switching the top TPS to help with a throttle issue and code. Decided it would be a good idea to swith the bottom one also.
Thing is, the top is real easy to do, the bottom one you have to take the whole intake runner box off. First time was a pain, the second time much easier.
Replaced the rubber boots and clamps while in there. Throttle plates weren't too bad looking. It provided a very nice smooth feel in the throttle I forgot was there. Wish I had done them sooner.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #299 (Edited)
PB restored all the "hostage" photos since their business was failing. Happy to see they are back!
oh wow that's great news people's Build Threads and DIYs will be up again :excited:
haven't listed anything since PB took down my pictures and just haven't downloaded photos of anything interesting newly done.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #300
sorry for those who have sent me pm's about the photos being down from PB.
hope to try and get old photos reclaimed and maybe even post all the new stuff (minor) that has been done.

281 - 300 of 302 Posts