BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

261 - 280 of 302 Posts

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #261
4-17 New Aluminum Pedals

Over the years my Racing Dynamics black anodized aluminum pedals (shown in earlier posts) have become worn, the black wore off at the edges from leather soled shoes.
As much as I loved these larger pedals I figured I would give the popular brushed aluminum pedals a go since it's more inline with my black and aluminum trim. They also match the factory dead pedal better.
Here is the updated look.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #262
April 20th

Had an M3 wheel custom made in Germany. Took a while to finally get here too. Did a lot of research who to use for this as I didn't want it looking cheap. Went with genuine BMW Alcantara at the top and bottom sections and "perforated leather" on the sides sections where the hands rest/wear more. I also had it done in the traditional ///M tri-stitched colors and weave. I was going to go with dark black Alcantara and perforated leather but decided to follow BMWs CSL/ZCP theme. It is also a closer match in color schemes to the anthracite headliner of the M3. I'm really happy with it, should be installed later this weekend.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #264 (Edited)
the new steering wheel looks great Alex! Can't wait to see installed pics :thumbsup:
thanks Charlie. just gotta get some photos now that it's installed. so far i really like it.:thumbup:
next to decide if i sell my old M3 steering wheel or give it a full make-over and switch out in winter like you.

*EDIT
Got around to repainting the lower steering wheel trim and then putting it in.
Here she is installed. I'm really loving the feel and look. It's also a tad thicker than stock too which is nice and sporty.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
thanks Charlie. just gotta get some photos now that it's installed. so far i really like it.:thumbup:
next to decide if i sell my old M3 steering wheel or give it a full make-over and switch out in winter like you.
I would keep the M3 steering wheel and give it a full make-over and then set aside for later when you feel like swapping out wheels. At least this way if the time comes where you need to change out the alcantara part of the new wheel, you will have the other wheel to put on while the old wheel is being rewrapped.

In my case, I swap out between summer and winter months so I can extend the life of the alcantara wheels. :)

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #266
5-1-15 windshield cowl

Well after having my front windshield replaced the old cowl had become stressed and cracking. Did this replacement before on previous E46 so it was time for the M3. So a trip to the dealership for a new part and home to replace it. Takes less than an hour. It's something some people might not notice but it goes a long way in making the car look new.
OLD:

NEW:

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #267
May 2nd, MB Quart component speakers

Had these still brand new in the box for a while now. Some MB Quart Q-Line front component speakers and cross-overs. Decided after much test fitting and buying exact size adapter rings to put them in. Tweeters are in the stock location. Wanted as best as stock looking as possible. Sound really is very good compared to the stock HK speakers. These tweeters alone were worth the swap. Wish I had taken more photos before installing and wiring up. But they're in at last.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Wheel looks great Alex. I've been back and forth so many times about either getting my triangle sport wheel done by Coby or buying an M wheel new. The issue is the whole dual stage vs single stage airbag and not getting definitive info as to whether the dual stage would actually fire in the event of an accident in my e46. I love the look and feel of those M wheels though.

Also great job on the windshield cowl. It's an item that's commonly overlooked by e46 owners. It really does freshen up the cleanliness of the car when that part is new.

Car looks great overall. Keep up the good work my friend.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #269
July 15th CSL Steering Rack Refresh

Latest refresh item is flushing the whole power steering rack. I had installed the ZCP/CSL rack in my car (notice the blue tag on rack). It was a direct swap, just hard to find. I have now just installed all new oem Lemforder inner and outter tie rods, boots and clamps. Feels much more precise. Things wear out over time and this makes it all tight again like new.
The ZCP steering rack is a real threat for anyone thinking of doing/wanting a firmer feel and quicker turn-in response. It may not be for everyone, as it's a tad harder to turn and feedback from bumps to steering wheel is a tad more aswell. But the sportiness is there and so is less turning of wheel.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #270
Wheel looks great Alex. I've been back and forth so many times about either getting my triangle sport wheel done by Coby or buying an M wheel new..
I love the look and feel of those M wheels though.
Also great job on the windshield cowl. It's an item that's commonly overlooked by e46 owners. It really does freshen up the cleanliness of the car when that part is new.
^Thanks. I have seen the trianglular wheel done in Alcantara and it does look great. Not as thick, and doesn't have the larger thumb-rests though. I'm sure you'll like it either way.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
How's the steering response in the car? Compared to stock steering rack? I know you said you feel the road a lot more and there's less wheel travel when turning. But would you say its a night and day difference/something worth doing? Drove my buddies mini cooper track car (R53) and ever since driving that car, I've always considered swapping steering racks to a ZHP/Z3 one.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #272
How's the steering response in the car? Compared to stock steering rack? I know you said you feel the road a lot more and there's less wheel travel when turning. But would you say its a night and day difference/something worth doing? Drove my buddies mini cooper track car (R53) and ever since driving that car, I've always considered swapping steering racks to a ZHP/Z3 one.
The response is certainly more instant. Much less vague feeling. Feels heavier and more solid. The power steering boost seems less in the ZCP rack than standard factory M3s. This probably is due to a stronger torsion bar down the pinion shaft or valving. A first drive in the canyons on familar hairpin turns showed notably less turning of the steering wheel and hand-over-hand. But that was expected. Another thing of notice though is you have to re-learn how much (or rather how less) to turn the steering wheel in fast sharp turns. Doing more dedicated two handed steering than one handed now. You may find any jolts make the car dart while in a turn. For a car mostly driven street I personally wouldn't want it any quicker, it would be too twitchy and less forgiving. Again this is just one's person's opinion on how my car is set-up and what I like. For someone who had a dedicated track car they might want it quicker. There is room beyond the CSL/ZCP rack to be quicker like a go cart. But a lot of that could also be dialed-in through alignment. All in all I'm very happy with ///M's choice in using this rack in the CSL/ZCP M3s. I find it better feeling. I can even see how some general Q-public might not have liked it. I can also see how someone wanting a really quick rack might want more.

Another car update. Chewed up another set of rear tires. Had another set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports installed last week. Doing 275/30/19 not 285/30/19. Although these were said to be on backorder since last April. I got new set from Michelin warehouse in northern CA from people in the know. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
The response is certainly more instant. Much less vague feeling. Feels heavier and more solid. The power steering boost seems less in the ZCP rack than standard factory M3s. This probably is due to a stronger torsion bar down the pinion shaft or valving. A first drive in the canyons on familar hairpin turns showed notably less turning of the steering wheel and hand-over-hand. But that was expected. Another thing of notice though is you have to re-learn how much (or rather how less) to turn the steering wheel in fast sharp turns. Doing more dedicated two handed steering than one handed now. You may find any jolts make the car dart while in a turn. For a car mostly driven street I personally wouldn't want it any quicker, it would be too twitchy and less forgiving. Again this is just one's person's opinion on how my car is set-up and what I like. For someone who had a dedicated track car they might want it quicker. There is room beyond the CSL/ZCP rack to be quicker like a go cart. But a lot of that could also be dialed-in through alignment. All in all I'm very happy with ///M's choice in using this rack in the CSL/ZCP M3s. I find it better feeling. I can even see how some general Q-public might not have liked it. I can also see how someone wanting a really quick rack might want more.

Another car update. Chewed up another set of rear tires. Had another set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports installed last week. Doing 275/30/19 not 285/30/19. Although these were said to be on backorder since last April. I got new set from Michelin warehouse in northern CA from people in the know. :thumbup:
Hm, interesting. I may look into finding a zhp rack. I know you can order them via rackdoctor.net but I want to ask them some questions on if I can fit a Z3 steering rack and which one he would recommend to me for the e46 chassis. The stock rack on the e46 chassis are relatively the same, but for some reason the ZHP and the z3 have significantly shorter ratios; the z3 rack being the shortest. The thing that interests me on the z3 rack is I've heard that it can fit on the e46 with some slight modification. But the z3 itself is much smaller of a car so maybe the z3 rack would be proportionate to a "track oriented" daily e46 coupled with my suspension mods as is.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #276 (Edited)
8-15 Smoked Clown Nose

Decided to change my M3's red "Clown Nose". I had retrofitted a Z4 mirror on my previous E46. It had a smoked colored clown nose from BMW.
I always liked that look so I took mine off and used some model tint paint to do the same to my M3. It's painted on the inside and came out pretty good while still blinking red when it's on.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #277 (Edited)
Jan 14 2016 New Washer Pump

Well my windshield washer wasn't working. On the M3 its kinda a pain to get out compared to the non-Ms. Have to take off the fender liner and remove the splash tray. After ordering a new Continental brand pump finally found time to replace. Yep it did the trick. Just posting this for my own records.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #278 (Edited)
Jan 15th "Euro Pressure Valve"

Well on the S54 engine there is a pressure valve on the backside of the block. It's a super pain to get to and takes some contorting around the downpipes to use a drop link socket to get it out.
What happens is the o-ring gets hard and brittle over time from heat and allows oil to lightly seep out. Many people think it's the oil pan gasket but it's this stupid valve.
I have heard people paying up to $1,200 in dealer labor to replace this. There is a guy who sells updated o-rings (like they do for the M52/M54 vanos rings seals) for only $5.
This part and a lot of work and it's a DIY for a few hours to fix.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #279
Jan 27 Mann Fuel Filter

Figured since I'm getting the car all refreshed I would do the Mann Fuel Filter. Was very surprised how clean the gas came out was. Could have passed on this one. Put a new date on it for the next person (if it's not me).

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #280 (Edited)
Feb 2, 2016 *New Dynavin N6

Being one of the first people to buy and install the Dynavin when it came out I decided to give the latest model a try. Nothing was wrong with my previous one but just wanted to see the new features. Will take photo later to show new screen I downloaded. Nothing to show other than the new rubber knobs. So far I'm not sure how much I like it being slower to boot. Having a few bugs I never had with old one. Will update when it's sorted.

Here's a photo of my custom boot screen. (from another member) This seems to match the ZCP dash trim the best as well as looking like something straight from BMW.

and the latest Dynavin how it looks with my ZCP trim.

261 - 280 of 302 Posts