E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok.. i know there are a lot of threads about subframes and etc.

however, i didn't get a clear answer on what will happen if i keep letting my subframe crack... what will happen with a subframe failure.

i have 2000 328i with 85,000 miles.... and i started to hear weird sqeaking noises from the rear of my car whenever i accelerate and whenever i put my car in gear it would make some kind of clunking noise. so then i checked out my car today.... and to my suprise, my subframe is totally ripping out apart.

so anyways. here are my questions.

1. what will happen?
2. can i just get it re-welded?
3. how much will it be usually?
4. is my suspention going to fall out?
5. how long will it usually take for it to fall out, if it ever does?

Thanks, Tom

·
Registered
97 Posts
i'm going through the same thing right now. i hear you can get it welded/reinforced, but i couldn't find a shop that was willing to do it. beverly hills bmw recommended a shop to me after taking a look....my service advisor "wondered how my rear wheel was still on." the body shop is cutting out the the entire rear subframe and welding in a new one. Just to give you an idea, my insurance cut a check to the body shop for $3900 and they have had the car since the last week in october. i am due to get it back on the 26th of november.

·
Registered
328 Posts
bmwfan328 said:
i'm going through the same thing right now. i hear you can get it welded/reinforced, but i couldn't find a shop that was willing to do it. beverly hills bmw recommended a shop to me after taking a look....my service advisor "wondered how my rear wheel was still on." the body shop is cutting out the the entire rear subframe and welding in a new one. Just to give you an idea, my insurance cut a check to the body shop for $3900 and they have had the car since the last week in october. i am due to get it back on the 26th of november.
What insurance company are you with?

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have to ask this... I'm scared because I have the same car as you guys....

HOW THE HELL DOES THIS HAPPEN?

I'm really scared. Have you driven your cars really, really hard? :hmm:

Does your car only creak under hard acceleration? When do you hear the clunking noise?

Thanks.

oh yeah... can you post picks from your car. I know that others have alrady... but more won't hurt if you have the time

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
this happen's because of bmw's poor blah blah blah....

for me i only hear the creaking noise whenever i accelrate hard.... and the clunking noise is when i change gears from reverse to drive and vice versa.

u don't need pictures to check if your subframe is damaged... just look under your left (driverside) rear tire, behind your shock mount.... it'll be VERY noticable.

·
1.888.JLEVISW
14,349 Posts
tommiexboi said:
this happen's because of bmw's poor blah blah blah....

for me i only hear the creaking noise whenever i accelrate hard.... and the clunking noise is when i change gears from reverse to drive and vice versa.

u don't need pictures to check if your subframe is damaged... just look under your left (driverside) rear tire, behind your shock mount.... it'll be VERY noticable.
How about posting pics anyways so we can see how bad it is?
I for one would like to see a CLEAR picture of what this looks like - nobody has ever been willing to post any decent ones :dunno:

JL

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Here you go JL, these are examples I've collected from this board. The first pic is a normal subframe, the others are ripped. Note that this is the driver's side rear wheel well, almost all rip from this side.

To check my subframe, I just drove the rear of my car over the speed bump in my Condo complex by my backyard, it gave me enough clearance since my car isn't lowered.

Attachments

·
1.888.JLEVISW
14,349 Posts
Great pics, Thanks!!!! :thumbup:

Now... to check my car which is on 18's, slammed to the ground, super stiff coils, and is driven like a maniac every day, with the occasional burnout :eeps:

·
Registered
97 Posts
hey guys, sorry for the late reply, i was out all day.

CC Nomada said:
What insurance company are you with?
i am with GMAC insurance. i honestly hav eno idea if it makes the insurance go up, since i am listed on the policy under my dad's name, i don't see the bills until i graduate

basically, in order to get them to cover the damage under comprehensive, we had to tell them that i hit a manhole cover that was sticking too high out of the ground, and i heard a creaking noise later that day. pretty plausable, considering the condition of some LA roads.

as far as driving style, i have never driven the car hard. i don't race, autocross, drag, or anything like that. in fact, most mileage is from driving from NY to LA six times. this is strictly a result of BMWs shitty design, and refusal to own up to it.

i don't have any pics from my car because i dont have a digi cam, but the pictures that were posted are about as good as you are going to see. mine looked exactly like the 2nd pic.

if you have anymore questions, feel free to ask. goodluck with your situation.

·
Registered
343 Posts
bmwfan328 said:
basically, in order to get them to cover the damage under comprehensive, we had to tell them that i hit a manhole cover that was sticking too high out of the ground, and i heard a creaking noise later that day. pretty plausable, considering the condition of some LA roads.
Ah, good old insurance fraud. :thumbdwn: :banghead: :nono: :azzhole: And people complain about their high insurance rates... Don't get me wrong, if there were a LEGITIMATE way to claim this under a comprehensive policy and I had this problem I'd be all over it, but this is plain fraud.

Scott

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
bmwfan328 said:
hey guys, sorry for the late reply, i was out all day.

i am with GMAC insurance. i honestly hav eno idea if it makes the insurance go up, since i am listed on the policy under my dad's name, i don't see the bills until i graduate

as far as driving style, i have never driven the car hard. i don't race, autocross, drag, or anything like that. in fact, most mileage is from driving from NY to LA six times. this is strictly a result of BMWs shitty design, and refusal to own up to it.

i don't have any pics from my car because i dont have a digi cam, but the pictures that were posted are about as good as you are going to see. mine looked exactly like the 2nd pic.

if you have anymore questions, feel free to ask. goodluck with your situation.

That's what my buddy did, and State Farm paid for it. He did actually hit a pot hole, and didn't realize that the E46 actually has a subframe issue. After I lead him to this board, he realized that his subframe was probably already cracking before the pot hole, since he was already hearing the clunking noise in the rear before he hit the pot hole.

·
1.888.JLEVISW
14,349 Posts
Oh god... I hear a clunking noise in my rear whenever I go over speed bumps... :cry:
I always assume it's something loose in my trunk...

I'm getting out the ramps tomorrow..
JL

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
jlevi said:
Oh god... I hear a clunking noise in my rear whenever I go over speed bumps... :cry:
I always assume it's something loose in my trunk...

I'm getting out the ramps tomorrow..
JL
Best of luck bro! But a clunking noise when going over bumps or shifting from neutral to 1st from a stop seems to be the primary signs for the subframe tear.

·
Registered
96 Posts
heh...if my frame is only tearing like in the last picture SD posted do you think i can just run beads of weld to seal it up and re-inforce it. ???anyone?

·
Banned
527 Posts
Pigeon said:
Ah, good old insurance fraud. :thumbdwn: :banghead: :nono: :azzhole: And people complain about their high insurance rates... Don't get me wrong, if there were a LEGITIMATE way to claim this under a comprehensive policy and I had this problem I'd be all over it, but this is plain fraud.

Scott
:lmao: go back to church!!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts