BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't start my 2002 325ci with less 10k miles. It's in my garage and I'm helpless. Always seem to have car troubles during the freaking weekend when service dept. is closed.

What can it be? I just drove the car yesterday afternoon without any problems. My battery seems to be good since my stereo and lights works. When I turn on the ignition, the engine doesn't start. Just my lights blinks and make some weird clicking noise (don't know why). Hear a funny sounds from behind my stereo or temp controls (like a hissing sound or like a cd trying to come out of the slot (no cd in the slot). But I think my interior lights do seem a little dimmer.

Can it be a bad battery already? Can it be a bad fuse?

What should I do? Should I have BMW Roadside Service tow it on Monday to my dealership for service? If it is my battery, is it covered by warranty?

Thanks for any input. I need help.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what a day! jumpstarted my car just fine. Russ, the + nut was tight. ran it for about 30mins driving on the freeway. picked up lunch and then discovered I couldn't start the car again. luckily brought the jumper cable and asked the newly parked car next to me for a jump. 2 minutes and I'm back on the road. with everyone's suggestions, I drove to Autozone (which was on the way) to pick up a new battery (of course, the Duralast 49-DL).

I was totally amazed by Autozone's customer service. Instead of immediately selling me a new battery, Matt came out to my car to doublecheck the size of the battery. He also tested it and determine it may still be good. He offered to quick charge the battery and retest. After an hour, Matt came out and installed the fully charged battery. This time, started like a charm. He stated the battery is good. Might have been totally drained and just needed to be fully charged. Driving the car wasn't good enough. The best part is the service was all free.

Started the car about 5x since the charged and it's still works! Thumbs up to Autozone! :thumbup:

·
Registered
665 Posts
Aren't you still under warranty?

You should still take your car in for a warranty check on that problem. There is no reason for the battery to go dead like that. Might happen again.

Make BMW pay, don't pay Autozone out of pocket the next time!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
04ragtop said:
Aren't you still under warranty?

You should still take your car in for a warranty check on that problem. There is no reason for the battery to go dead like that. Might happen again.

Make BMW pay, don't pay Autozone out of pocket the next time!
Actually, I didn't pay a dime to Autozone. It's a free service.

I read somewhere that battery is under a 2 year warranty. If that's true, then I'm not covered. I will check with the dealership tomorrow.

I believe the reason for my dead battery is that I don't drive my car a lot. I drive my car on average once a week. That's why I only have 10k miles on my car. I think this is stated in the manual for rarely used car. I will try to drive it more now especially my beater Jeep G. Cherokee is having problems now.

·
Registered
82 Posts
That happen to me a week ago. I was devastated but then I went to autozone to check... The battery has a bad cell.
If you go to the dealership the will charge you 299 for the battery and 115 for installation. The best way to do it is to go to autozone and get the 49DL battery. Installation is free and it only cost 63 bucks for everything.
Hope your problem goes away.
There are only 3 things that could cause this(most likely things). First is the battery which i am about 99 percent sure is your problem. The second is the key which the battery inside is slowly dying(highly doubt) And the third problem is the alternator. Which is not ur problem since you jump start the car and it works fine. If it is the alternator it will work but then will shut down a little bit later. So... go to autozone to get a free battery check and replace it. Problem gone.. no more headache and you be back to your happy happy self! :)

·
Just a Brand-wh0re Elitist
3,719 Posts
if ur electronics turn on but ignition doesn't turn and all u get is that clicking sound, that means your starter is gone.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Go to autozone to get your battery check out. I am about 99.9 percent sure that it is that problem. If you check the battery in the back it might be green (and one cell is dead) or it might be yellow. I guess when you first start the car your xenon light flutter and stop. The radio works fine and the light and everything works fine.
If you notice it a little bit more your interior light should look a little bit dimmer than usual also. The reason I know this is because this happen to me less than 4 days ago. Replace battery and everything is fine now.
If you go to autozone they will say they dont carry BMW batteries but if you tell them you want 49DL they will test it out and it will be a perfect fit.
It comes with 7 years warranty so you wont have to worry about it dying.

·
3,719 Posts
TommyX4437 said:
Go to autozone to get your battery check out. I am about 99.9 percent sure that it is that problem. If you check the battery in the back it might be green (and one cell is dead) or it might be yellow. I guess when you first start the car your xenon light flutter and stop. The radio works fine and the light and everything works fine.
If you notice it a little bit more your interior light should look a little bit dimmer than usual also. The reason I know this is because this happen to me less than 4 days ago. Replace battery and everything is fine now.
If you go to autozone they will say they dont carry BMW batteries but if you tell them you want 49DL they will test it out and it will be a perfect fit.
It comes with 7 years warranty so you wont have to worry about it dying.

if he can get electronics then it ain't his battery. if his battery was dead he wouldn't be getting juice to his stereo or lights. its the starter not turning over.

·
Registered
665 Posts
10chi said:
if he can get electronics then it ain't his battery. if his battery was dead he wouldn't be getting juice to his stereo or lights. its the starter not turning over.
If the battery is very low on power but not completely dead, then it can power up the stereo and lights but fail to turn the starter. That is quite common. It takes quite a bit of amperage to turn the starter but much less to power the lights. That clicking noise is the classic noise of a starter trying to turn but not having enough electrical power to do so.

If he was able to jump start it and then start it using a freshly charged battery, then obviously there is nothing wrong with the starter, just the battery out of juice.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
TommyX4437 said:
That happen to me a week ago. I was devastated but then I went to autozone to check... The battery has a bad cell.
If you go to the dealership the will charge you 299 for the battery and 115 for installation. The best way to do it is to go to autozone and get the 49DL battery. Installation is free and it only cost 63 bucks for everything.
Hope your problem goes away.
There are only 3 things that could cause this(most likely things). First is the battery which i am about 99 percent sure is your problem. The second is the key which the battery inside is slowly dying(highly doubt) And the third problem is the alternator. Which is not ur problem since you jump start the car and it works fine. If it is the alternator it will work but then will shut down a little bit later. So... go to autozone to get a free battery check and replace it. Problem gone.. no more headache and you be back to your happy happy self! :)

Autozone fully charged my battery in an hour. Everything is good now. There was no need to buy a new battery, per Autozone. The battery checked out okay. Apparently, the battery was too drained to charge itself.

Btw, is our battery covered by our service warranty? Did you check before you bought a new battery? Just curious since I may be experience this problem again if I don't drive my car enough.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
damn me! With my luck, after posting my last reply, I can't start my car now. The battery apparently seems to be dead again; didn't hold the charge overnight. Funny **** that it started about 5x last night after the charged.

I will be picking up the Duralast 49-DL tonight. Unfortunately, I'm at work. :banghead:

Btw, I confirmed with the dealership that normally the battery is under factory warranty. If I drove my car normally everyday, the battery should last. But in my case since I rarely drive my car, they won't. :thumbdwn: I am being penalized for not driving my car enough. The service advisor stated that I should have trickle charged my battery when not in use. She stated I can drop off my car for them to check it out on a standby basis meaning a few days. If it is a dead battery due to my situation, then it will cost me $269 for a new battery installed. This sucks!

What an ordeal! The saga continues...

·
3,719 Posts
jazzy_james said:
damn me! With my luck, after posting my last reply, I can't start my car now. The battery apparently seems to be dead again; didn't hold the charge overnight. Funny **** that it started about 5x last night after the charged.

I will be picking up the Duralast 49-DL tonight. Unfortunately, I'm at work. :banghead:

Btw, I confirmed with the dealership that normally the battery is under factory warranty. If I drove my car normally everyday, the battery should last. But in my case since I rarely drive my car, they won't. :thumbdwn: I am being penalized for not driving my car enough. The service advisor stated that I should have trickle charged my battery when not in use. She stated I can drop off my car for them to check it out on a standby basis meaning a few days. If it is a dead battery due to my situation, then it will cost me $269 for a new battery installed. This sucks!

What an ordeal! The saga continues...

I still stand by the starter or alternator being out

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
10chi said:
I still stand by the starter or alternator being out
even if my car has only 10k miles on it. how does it explain my car starting yesterday after the jumpstart and the quick charged by autozone?

thanks for helping. I will find out soon enough.

·
3,719 Posts
jazzy_james said:
even if my car has only 10k miles on it. how does it explain my car starting yesterday after the jumpstart and the quick charged by autozone?

thanks for helping. I will find out soon enough.

ok...maybe not the starter but a bad alternator won't keep the battery charged.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
10chi said:
if ur electronics turn on but ignition doesn't turn and all u get is that clicking sound, that means your starter is gone.

My car was doing this, all my electronics worked, but every time I tried to start the car, it would just make that clicking sound. I called my dealer and let him hear the clicking sound over the phone, and he said it was just a dead batter! The E46 takes a lot of juice to turn the ignition, and even though the battery was not strong enough to turn on the car, it was still able to run the lights and radio.

He said that "clicking" noise is just the car telling you it doesn't have enough power to turn the car over. He said that OEM BMW batteries die without warning, and usually happens during short trip errands when your car is constantly being turned off and on, like while I was dropping off open house signs.

He tested my battery and said it was dead, and actually told me to buy the Duralast 49-DL at Autozone (great service guy!). After installing the battery, it all works great!

·
Registered
41 Posts
This sounds definitely like a dead battery. I had this once on my e36 too. My whole radio stuff including subwoofer and so on DID work, but the battery did not provide enough power to start the car.

But the cause of this must be somewhere else, maybe the battery is not recharged for some reason...

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
10chi said:
ok...maybe not the starter but a bad alternator won't keep the battery charged.
okay sounds reasonable. what would you do now if you were me? I don't want to waste my time at the dealership if it's just a dead battery since they may not even get to it for a few days. Plus, then I will be force to pay $269 for a battery installed. but if it is a bad alternator, then they would fix it under warranty.

would you just pick up a new battery from autozone and try it out and see what happens?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts