BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Just Nuts
7,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I get a high pitched worn bearing noise from the oil pump when starting after sitting over night. It's always been like that and I don't believe anything will blow soon. I did some searches in the past but never found anything. So, does anyone know anything about the oil pump ? What bearings are there on it that is likely to wear over time ? Is the pump + any bearing replaceable ?

After a couple of minutes of the oil circulating, the pump sounds fine and the high pitched noise disappears. I have verified it is the oil pump by locating the noise. It's the loudest when I have the stethoscopes on the oil filter housing cap.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Maybe it likes to drink new oil more often than every 50K.

Your long OCIs may have finally caught up to you.

·
Registered
5,751 Posts
Guess you need a honda brah.

·
Just Nuts
7,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Maybe it likes to drink new oil more often than every 50K.

Your long OCIs may have finally caught up to you.
Sure, sure. But it was like that when I first got it. I noticed my neighbour's newer mecedes sounds high pitched too on starting up. It maybe normal, or it may not be to do with the oil pump at all, just the sound of an unlubed engine after prolonged sitting.

My long oil intervals will continue and my engine will outlast most people's here.

Going by the responses so far, nobody knows about the oil pump, huh ? Maybe I have to rely on myself as always than on noobs who only know about changing oil and little else.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Sure, sure. But it was like that when I first got it. I noticed my neighbour's newer mecedes sounds high pitched too on starting up. It maybe normal, or it may not be to do with the oil pump at all, just the sound of an unlubed engine after prolonged sitting.

My long oil intervals will continue and my engine will outlast most people's here.

Going by the responses so far, nobody knows about the oil pump, huh ? Maybe I have to rely on myself as always than on noobs who only know about changing oil and little else.
Because you have longer oil change intervals and your cooling system could fail at any time and warp your head? :p

Well, that's about as asinine as asinine gets

Also, I've never heard anyone else with oil pump problems on these cars, so if anything your engine will go sooner than most people's.

You should try Mobil 1 :thumbsup: It may put marbles in a tin can sound in your engine, but I use it and my oil pump isn't fvcked up.

·
Registered
28,435 Posts
GoingNuts, you keep ignoring the fact that you only had your car for two years and put less than 10k miles on it. You cannot and will not get to see if your fvked up logic will stand the test of time. This is why you are confident about your OCIs--partly because you're a retard and partly because you don't drive enough. Do us all a favor and sell your car and GTFO!

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Apparently, the oil pump nut on the sprocket is welded and can come off. This seems to be from hanging out around 6K for too long and too often. This might be what you're experiencing. imminent failure of the oil pump.

·
Registered
28,435 Posts
GoingNuts, there are 7,000 threads from 2008 on various other BMW forums where you ask for a recommendation on a shop. YOU are the noob. The fact that you post so many threads about stupid sh!t proves this as well. Nothing wrong with being a noob, but you can't call an entire forum noobs.

As far as your issue, this is likely all in your head. Any noise you're hearing is not likely the oil pump, but many of the various parts you purposefully neglect such as various tensioner pulleys, water pump, belts, etc. This is what happens when you don't maintain your car on a preventative basis.

·
Just Nuts
7,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Apparently, the oil pump nut on the sprocket is welded and can come off. This seems to be from hanging out around 6K for too long and too often. This might be what you're experiencing. imminent failure of the oil pump.
You will be proven wrong. I am quoting this to prevent ninja edit. I wish others have your balls to stick their necks out like this with a specific claim.

·
Just Nuts
7,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
GoingNuts, there are 7,000 threads from 2008 on various other BMW forums where you ask for a recommendation on a shop. YOU are the noob. The fact that you post so many threads about stupid sh!t proves this as well. Nothing wrong with being a noob, but you can't call an entire forum noobs.

As far as your issue, this is likely all in your head. Any noise you're hearing is not likely the oil pump, but many of the various parts you purposefully neglect such as various tensioner pulleys, water pump, belts, etc. This is what happens when you don't maintain your car on a preventative basis.
:facepalm: Of all the people posting, you have the least clue of them all. Quit making up sh*t.

·
Registered
28,435 Posts
You will be proven wrong. I am quoting this to prevent ninja edit. I wish others have your balls to stick their necks out like this with a specific claim.
What are you smoking? You do know the oil pump nut coming off is a known issue right? Please tell me you're not denying this

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I dont care if im proven wrong. :rolleyes: But Im sure you'd take delight in it. :excited:<going nuts>.

You claim that your oil pump is making noise and I kindly offer you a possible solution. You dont like it. I dont care.

Oil pump problems:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=833891

·
Registered
28,435 Posts
I dont care if im proven wrong. :rolleyes: But Im sure you'd take delight in it. :excited:<going nuts>.

You claim that your oil pump is making noise and I kindly offer you a possible solution. You dont like it. I dont care.

Oil pump problems:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=833891
Don't mind him, OrientBlau. He's so wet behind the ears, he doesn't even know about the common oil pump nut issue that plague M54/S52 engines.

Oh and this always makes me laugh: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpost.php?p=9977987&postcount=145

1 - 20 of 91 Posts