BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I have oem hid lights on my e46 and the right side went out a couple weeks ago. The dealer (and most forums for that matter) said the bulbs rarely go, but would need to hook it up and diagnose the problem. Paid $125 for this and they said it was due to the ballast and igniter. Cost to fix would be $1000. WTF. I'll do it myself with used ones from ebay thank you.
So I ordered the parts and went about replacing them. Was able to snake the igniter through the headlight without completly taking it apart (i have the zkw type). Cool. Tested it out.....and still no go :censor: . So if its not he bulb and not what I replaced...then what? Wait a min., lets check the bulb! Pulled it out only to find an exploded bulb. :censor: :censor: :censor:
Bought some 6K bulbs for $100 and all is good now.

What could have caused this? Car/light has never been hit, and I didnt see any signs of water in the headlight assy. Anyone ever had this?

·
Registered
32,566 Posts
usually when it explodes, it's due to you turning it on and off quickly and a short period of time. also if you or someone installed the bulbs and touch the glass, the oils on your fingers (left behind) heats up and does the same thing. also, bad quality bulbs can do this. or bulbs that were installed wrong can do this as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply.

Humm...ok. That could be it then. I did notice that the headlight seems to have been removed before. I guess the previous owner may have been a "knob".

But I wonder though, is there any chance that the old ballast could have caused the bulb to blow? I ask only because I have the old one sitting in a bag now, but dont know if its good or not. Don't really want to re-install it and find out the hard way. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, cool.
Just wanted to note....
The symptoms for this problem were, the light would try to ignite for about 3 times with a feint glow and a buzz each time whenever it was switched on, then the lamp out indicator on the instrument cluster would go on.

Hope this would be useful to someone.

BTW, much thanks for the Headlight Removal DIY! Was very helpful.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts