BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to collect the parts for next weekend's big DIY project and want to get the forum's eyes on my shopping list. I know a lot of you have done these three jobs, let me know if I am forgetting anything. I would hate to get 1/2 way through it and miss parts.

DIY#2a Oil Separator - CVV

Oil Separator/PCV; Pressure Regulating Valve/Oil Separator; Standard

Air Distribution/Breather Hose; Crankcase Vent Hose; Vent Valve to Dipstick Tube

Air Intake Boot/Hoses; Connector Hose from Pressure Regulating Valve, Standard;

Air Intake Boot/Hoses; Return Pipe to Connector Hose

Air Intake Boot/Hoses; Vent Pipe, Valve Cover to Pressure Regulating Valve

Air Pump/Smog Pump Mount; Rubber Mount with 6mm Studs on Both Ends

Dip Stick Tube Seal; O-Ring for Oil Dipstick Tube to Oil Pan; 19.5x3mm

DIY#2b Oil Fiter Gasket

Oil Filter Gasket; Oil Filter Housing to Block

DIY#2c - Power Steering Reservoir

Power Steering Fluid Reservoir Cap; O-Ring Seal

Power Steering Fluid Reservoir; With Integral Filter

Power Steering Hose; Reservoir to Power Steering Pump

Power Steering Hose; Steering Rack to Fluid Container

Seal Ring for Power Steering Lines; 16x22mm

Throttle Body/Housing Gasket

Vacuum Hose/Line; Black Silicone Tubing; 3.5mm ID x 2mm wall thickness; Bulk

I also plan on checking the DISA to make sure it's OK. Maybe clean it with a little brake cleaner and some Q-tips (if that's OK) tg

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, I'm on a budget... planning on getting everything @ AutohausAZ.
So far my tally is about $250. I'd hate to see what the dealer wants for the same shopping list.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just did my CCV a month or so ago. I used the ECS level 2 kit. It comes with a few more parts than you have listed like a lower intake tube and a TB gasket. I don't know how the kit compares with the Autohaus pricing but I was happy to replace everything. Plus it got me to clean the ICV and TB in the process. I assume they have a similar kit for the 325.

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330i-M54_3.0L/Engine/Emissions/ES1905414/

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!
I think I am going to go with the kit too...
I think it's the same kit but I will double check.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fenderguy05:

I am going with the turkey baster method myself. I really don't see the need to buy equipment that I will probably (hopefully) never need again. But what's with the p/s line removal tool? Do you need this? Sucks to throw away $30 on a unitasker that again, probably will never get used again.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just read this disclaimer for your voltage regulator swap:
For models with 120A Bosch alternator only. Please verify failure issue prior to ordering, Bosch does not recommend replacement of just regulator over entire remanufactured alternator.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Fenderguy05:

I am going with the turkey baster method myself. I really don't see the need to buy equipment that I will probably (hopefully) never need again. But what's with the p/s line removal tool? Do you need this? Sucks to throw away $30 on a unitasker that again, probably will never get used again.
The tool was about 30 online, from what I've heard, you can use other means but it becomes a hassle. I plan on keeping my car for the long run and another e46 afterward so it made sense to spend the $30 dollars in my case.

Honestly, the piece of mind was worth it to me, because I've done a couple jobs without the right tools, and gotten extremely frustrated trying to use wrong tools.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the quote was listed on the part @ AutohausAZ

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm getting ready to do my oil filter housing gasket too, and I think we need the copper washers for the VANOS line? Anybody confirm this?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My understanding with washers is that unless they are "crush" you can reuse them.
I have not seen any washers listed on the DIY posts. But I will post if I hear otherwise.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mr. Potter, found them. Good call.

Part #32411093597
VictorReinz
Seal Ring for Power Steering Lines; 16x22mm

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
8 Posts
How goes your DIY?

I'm in the same situation with my 2003 E53 3.0i. I need to replace the oil filter housing gasket to stop an oil leak, replace the CCV components to prevent another blown valve cover gasket, and replace the steering fluid reservoir and hoses to stop a steering fluid leak. I'd be very interested to hear about your experience!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Everything was rather easy to do. I forgot to order the (2) vanos line crush washers so I had a major delay in the middle of it. Followed all the DIYs on here, BavAuto and youtube... made life easier.
Here are some helpful tips that I learned while doing this:
Torquing the vanos line and the OFH back on is a bitch, small torque wrench is paramount. Learned to throw a nice large thick towel over the engine to keep my tool falling/rolling into the blackhole we call an engine compartment. Used baggies/sharpie to keep all screws in order. Took cellphone pics just in case. Blue masking tape/sharpie to keep all connectors in order - going to thank me when you are rebuilding. And don't forget to keep the OFH bolts in the proper order, since they are all different lengths.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the tips!

How useful was the power steering hose removal tool? I'm making my list now of tools I'll need that I don't already have. Also, by small torque wrench, how small do you mean? I assume one with an 8" or so handle?

Thanks!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It was totally useful and not expensive on Amazon... got it for like $15 from CTA Tools.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Were you able to do all the work from above, or did you need to get your E46 up on stands to get underneath? I can probably get my X5 up on stands if I need to, but then working from above becomes a pain.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts