E46 Fanatics Forum banner
241 - 251 of 251 Posts

· Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #241 ·
Decided to remove the stubby cell antenna from the roof before I send the car to the shop - even though I got the externals off, I couldn’t get it to budge out of its home even after I Dremeled the exposed portion off…. Stumped
Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive wheel system Electric blue

Hood Automotive tire Asphalt Sleeve Road surface

Pulled & pulled on the cable hanging into the beam above the hatch - no go…

Going to ask body shop to weld up the hole in the roof and to perhaps cut a door in that beam to get it out and then weld & paint it.

· Registered
323iT - 323Cic
928 Posts
Decided to remove the stubby cell antenna from the roof before I send the car to the shop - even though I got the externals off, I couldn’t get it to budge out of its home even after I Dremeled the exposed portion off…. Stumped
View attachment 966647

Pulled & pulled on the cable hanging into the beam above the hatch - no go…

Going to ask body shop to weld up the hole in the roof and to perhaps cut a door in that beam to get it out and then weld & paint it.

I just cut the cable and left in there. I couldn't figure out how to get the cable out either. I just put a diff plug currently, and when i'll bring my wagon to the body shop ill ask them to weld up the hole as-well.

· Registered
323iT - 323Cic
928 Posts
If I remember correctly, the base slips out from the top after unplugging connector and removing all the nuts from the roof side. It's in an "L" shape so it takes some manuvering to get out.
That is correct! Its an utter nightmare to get out.

· Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #248 ·
Ah - so I’ve got a couple of days before I deliver the car to the shop, so it sounds like I can spend 30 minutes (or more! 😂) trying to jiggle it out. I’ll give it the college try and report back.

· Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #250 ·
Today, with the help of my son, I got the car off the 4 post lift and onto a U-Haul car trailer.
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

I had chains, the big belts that come with the trailer and ratchet straps holding the wagon and the dolly onto the trailer.

Loading was a bit of work as the steel wheels didn’t have any compliance so had to support transitions with floor jack & used ratchet straps to haul it onto the trailer,

Actual transport was very smooth and getting the car off the trailer and into the shop was pretty easy.

Made a 2nd run with a utility trailer and brought M3 front and rear bumpers and the wagon rear bumper. Also M3 headlights, hood, hood hinges, rear fenders and the RH front fender (LH destroyed in the wreck).

So now it begins! I’ll post pictures of the car as it goes through the shop & I’ll probably start working on the engine after the holidays (if I can wait that long).

· Registered
2020 330i, 2018 X5, 2004 325iT, E30 325i, E28 M5
70 Posts
There was a wagon at the u pick it which had the stubby off already so I tried to get the antenna out. As mentioned above it comes out from the top. One edge is curved so you can tilt it a little and pull out.
Assume they are all the same but this was a prefacelift. Has it been confirmed this is only a telephone antenna and no required?
Sky Insect Road surface Plant Asphalt

241 - 251 of 251 Posts