E46 Fanatics Forum banner
681 - 700 of 772 Posts

· Registered
1,012 Posts
Mine are mice, They find these little round seed pods and sit on the strut tower and eat them. Discard the little pea sized shells into the strut mount where I keep my hardware while taking the engine pieces apart ;) I need a little dustbuster.

· Premium Member
2003 325i Touring
5,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #683 ·
I'm not exactly sure which rodents deposited said acorns, but at least that's all they seem to have nibbled on.

This morning I had a bit of extra time before a dentist appointment so I stopped by the inspection station to check over the paperwork before my inspection next week. Everything looks good, so everything should go smoothly next week.

· Premium Member
2002 325xiT 5MT
951 Posts
I'm not exactly sure which rodents deposited said acorns, but at least that's all they seem to have nibbled on.

This morning I had a bit of extra time before a dentist appointment so I stopped by the inspection station to check over the paperwork before my inspection next week. Everything looks good, so everything should go smoothly next week.
That’s some next level preparedness, good on you. And good luck next week 👍🏻

· Premium Member
2002 325xiT 5MT
951 Posts
There are a couple things I’ve heard of, but yet to try, to keep rodents at bay. Bars of Irish Spring soap placed in a few areas, and peppermint essential oil spritzed around.

The only thing that I’ve tried that I know works very well, a couple barn cats that are fed just enough to keep them around.

· Registered
1,012 Posts
The Irish Spring soap hasn't worked for me - they have actually chewed the bar, but peppermint oil or crushed peppermint Altoids seemed to have helped. I sprinkled a ring around my M3 when I stored it in a pole barn for a couple winters. Lots of mice, but no evidence under the hood.

· Premium Member
2003 325i Touring
5,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #690 ·
Well, they say everything looks good...except the danged window tint! Now, I do like the look with the tint, but this tint was already on the car when I bought it and is starting to look a bit shabby. I'm OK with stripping the door windows, but really don't like messing with the windows with the ribbon tape on them. I don't want to mess up the antenna or the rear defroster. Hopefully that will be enough to get it through.

· Premium Member
2003 325i Touring
5,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #694 ·
Bummer about the leak. I wish you luck in sorting it easily.
I'm figuring it's probably the sunroof drain. The car was either covered, or parked in a way that the RF drain would be last to see water before. As it was parked at the shop doing the enhanced inspection it was likely the first. Either a result of the airbag deployment, or perhaps something I disrupted while replacing the airbag. These are the reasons I did not put the new A pillar screw covers in yet!

· Registered
1,012 Posts
I'm figuring it's probably the sunroof drain. The car was either covered, or parked in a way that the RF drain would be last to see water before. As it was parked at the shop doing the enhanced inspection it was likely the first. Either a result of the airbag deployment, or perhaps something I disrupted while replacing the airbag. These are the reasons I did not put the new A pillar screw covers in yet!
Can the drain tube become disconnected? I can't recall if it was an E46 or the LR3 I used to have, but I recall the plastic / rubber tube coming away from the metal tube for the drain - near the sunroof.

· Premium Member
2003 325i Touring
5,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #696 ·
Can the drain tube become disconnected? I can't recall if it was an E46 or the LR3 I used to have, but I recall the plastic / rubber tube coming away from the metal tube for the drain - near the sunroof.
Yes, they can. My 2001 had the RF disconnected and I never knew it until I parked the car with the front pointing downhill and it rained. Lake E46 in the RF footwell.

· Premium Member
2002 325xiT 5MT
951 Posts
I have such a love hate relationship with sunroofs. Since earlier this summer when YJsaabman mentioned all the extra (distracting) light that comes through when the shade is open, I can’t not be bothered by it anymore! I still enjoy some hole in the roof days in the shoulder seasons though… heated seat at iii and the sunroof open… chef’s kiss!

· Super Moderator
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
6,874 Posts
The only thing that I use my sunroof for is to vent hot air when parked on warm days.
I'll admit that it's pretty quiet when open until there are roof rack crossbars on, but since I almost always have them on it stays closed when moving at all.
I've had my fill of noisy cars over the years.

· Premium Member
2003 325i Touring
5,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #699 ·
If slicktops weren't so rare I'd have sought one out. So glad my ZJ doesn't have one. I have been putting the Mini's sunroof in vent position fairly often because it rattles like crazy when closed. I've been trying to track it down, but have so far been unsuccessful.

· Premium Member
2003 325i Touring
5,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #700 ·
Well, the sunroof drain wasn't off. I got too wrapped up in peeling tint to remember to check if it's clogged.

As for the tint removal, it's a tedious process. Got the right side done, and the main door windows on the left side done. U fortunately I think the adhesive is staying behind. It's not sticky, but I've hit some spots with a razor blade after removal and it scrapes up adhesive. I may just leave it for now to get the process finished. Getting into all the edges may prove difficult.

681 - 700 of 772 Posts