E46 Fanatics Forum banner
661 - 680 of 772 Posts

· Registered
106 Posts
I'm a technician at a BMW dealership, so I get employee pricing, which is 10% over cost. :eek: Your best bet is probably to join the BMW CCA, as CCA members should receive a discount at every dealership.
Lucky You for working at the dealership. Always great to have the inside scoop. I asked my local dealership if they could assist me. I am trying to get the s54 swap Touring to be properly certified in the state of CA. Apparently, I need a letter from the BMW dealership stating the DME is running a stock tune. The dealership told me the techs who are trained on the e46 platform have moved-on. Not the news I wanted to hear.

On another note:
I was thinking of renewing my BMWCCA membership, and I should have since they offered me a 15% discount. Sadly the link expired, which is a bummer for me.

· Premium Member
2003 325i Touring
5,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #662 ·
BMW has configured the current version of ISTA to detect "engine tuning" during the initial communication with the vehicle. Unfortunately I believe it only works on the newer software, as my E46 was previously tuned and I never saw that message. Honestly the whole thing about the techs "trained in the E46" is just BS to get you to go away. Whether or not they have techs "trained in the E46" they could still help you. It's also sad that they can't seem to keep people that long, and should tell you something. We still have 3 people who were performing warranty work and CPO inspections on E46 cars at my dealership. One has moved up to be the Service Manager, but his depth of knowledge is still in the building and he's happy to share.

You should really talk to blksab65, as he got his last S54 swap certified in CA.

· Registered
1,030 Posts
The dealership told me the techs who are trained on the e46 platform have moved-on. Not the news I wanted to hear.
You should really talk to blksab65, as he got his last S54 swap certified in CA.
As someone who works on modified cars I can tell you that the profit on those is SIGNIFICANTLY less than stock repairs. The dealership has 0 interest in working on your 20yr old Frankenstein, its just economics. Besides that we've chatted enough for me to know the bill it would require is not in your interest level either. As YJ said, your best bet is to talk to @blksab65 or @Bryson and see if they can help you whether thats to provide support or actually do the work.

It's also sad that they can't seem to keep people that long, and should tell you something. We still have 3 people who were performing warranty work and CPO inspections on E46 cars at my dealership. One has moved up to be the Service Manager, but his depth of knowledge is still in the building and he's happy to share.
My old dealership still has (3) or (4) guys that worked on E46s in warranty. Its funny to look back on it now, because when I was doing E46 warranty work and and E30 or E28 came in we all scrambled to pass it off to an "old timer" .... now we are those guys... Those guys and myself worked on E36s in warranty lol.

· Premium Member
2003 325i Touring
5,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #664 ·
George Hill is spot on. The dealership I work for happens to be in the same city as Kassel Performance, and they use us for all of their alignments. Nobody in the shop wants to work on the Kassel cars because their often lowered, have big splitters on the front, etc. and we have trouble getting them on the rack, figuring out the aftermarket adjustments, or getting them to specific specs requested.

· Registered
850 Posts
Saw my name mentioned and figured I'd chime in lol.

I agree with all these last posts.. Especially George, shops don’t want to deal with aftermarket crap. The profit for a shop doing just services, water pumps, ect. all day long ends up being significantly more money then let’s say, a e30 restoration or modifications to someone’s e90..

As for the BAR thing, I’m just lucky I’m still on good terms with the old dealer I worked at.. for 6 years as a technician. I’d consider it more of a “favor” for the work I put in over the years. They did it for me at no cost.

Back on topic though, I'm glad your keeping the touring alive! For such little damage it would be a shame to give it up. I would have done the same exact thing you did, buy it back and keep it.

· Registered
323iT - 323Cic
928 Posts
Good news! The airbag faults cleared with my Autel and did not return after a key cycle! Plan is to call and confirm they will be OK with it not having a headliner for the inspection and get that scheduled.

That's great news! It'll be great to be back on the road.

· Premium Member
2003 325i Touring
5,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #668 ·
So the console is out, so no better time to repair the new one with the broken tab I've had kicking around for awhile. I couldn't find my roll of window screen to use as reinforcement, but I think it will be OK. Scuffed with 80 grit, some J-B Kwik Weld, and piece of tape to help hold it in place while it cures.

· Premium Member
2003 325i Touring
5,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #672 ·
I'm really not sure, George. I don't think there's anything that should be bothered by it. I'll find out when I put it back in this weekend.

November 15 it goes for its "Enhanced Inspection." The good news is that since I already owned the car and it was titled in my name in PA before the total loss, the paperwork they'll give me (provided it passes) can be taken directly to a Notary and and a new registration issued immediately. No waiting around for PennDOT to process the paperwork.

· Premium Member
2003 325i Touring
5,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #673 ·
Not too much issue with JB Weld. I did end up grinding the bottom of the shifter trim just a little to avoid the little bit of extra gap it would have created.

Car is mostly back together, now. Certainly not ideal, but I ended up putting the old headliner back in with the old pillars, for now. It comes down to the inspection and not having any sharp edged brackets exposed that could injury an occupant in case of an accident. Makes perfect sense, and I understand. It needs to be in to have dome lights, anyways. I superglued the broken brackets/tabs, and the rear one is good, the middle one broke again immediately. I'm not surprised, and will probably just leave it out for now.

Next weekend I hope to finish up and give it a good cleaning. The poor thing is a mess!

· Registered
323iT - 323Cic
928 Posts
Just keep moving forward, baby steps. Sometimes we live the hooptie life!
honestly, facts! Few weeks ago I wacked a deer with my wagon. I already sourced a hood, and fender but they are different colors.. lol!

I'll be rocking a silver hood, and a steel blue fender for a bit. :ROFLMAO:

· Premium Member
2002 325xiT 5MT
951 Posts
honestly, facts! Few weeks ago I wacked a deer with my wagon. I already sourced a hood, and fender but they are different colors.. lol!

I'll be rocking a silver hood, and a steel blue fender for a bit. :ROFLMAO:
Yeah I had read (seen) that, what a bummer! I dread that day… Good luck with your repair.

· Registered
323iT - 323Cic
928 Posts
Yeah I had read (seen) that, what a bummer! I dread that day… Good luck with your repair.
I am very thankful the damage is minimal. Only thing that was damaged was (Hood, Headlight, Corner Light, and Fender). I might have to take a hammer and attempt to move the fender a bit back into place, since the front torx bolt that is holding the fender in place is pinched, and can't be unscrewed without it being stripped. (that's my biggest worry so far)

· Premium Member
2003 325i Touring
5,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #678 ·
Honestly the headliner isn't damaged very badly. Having it in makes the car way more functional than not, honestly.

And I get the hooptie thing. The Mini has a bunch of grey panels on it, and pretty much all the clear is gone off the one quarter, now. The Jeep is losing clear on the flat surfaces, has black rattle can fogged in over the modified wheel arches and box tube rocker on the pass side. The driver's side has rust holes you can stick your arm through in the rocker. As long as they drive!

· Premium Member
2003 325i Touring
5,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #679 ·
Well, it's as together as it's going to get. I put the new A pillars in, but did not install the screw covers. Those will wait until the headliner is done.

The squirrels have been busy over the last couple weeks. Both front strut mount tops were full of acorns, as well as a bunch down between the intake runners. I cleaned all of that up and then cleaned the engine bay. I also tried to blast as much of the scuzz out of all the nooks and crannies, cracks and crevices as I could with the pressure washer. This poor car is need of some serious detailing. I'm worried the clear coat on the roof got ruined by a tire sitting up there that got water under it. There's a nasty partial ring that doesn't want to rub off. Hopefully some light compound will take care of it. Vacuuming is next on the list, though.

Finally I tended to the lights a little bit. The Amazon lenses were looking a little cloudy, but cleaned up in no time with some Plast-X and the air polisher. I also swapped the amber corner and side lights back on just to avoid any possibility of an issue with the smoked lights. The fenders got a good cleaning behind the side markers while they were off.

661 - 680 of 772 Posts