E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
161 - 180 of 217 Posts

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
6,789 Posts
So I scored a pair of ZHP camshafts from an 04 330i that seem to be in great shape:

View attachment 929617

Groove on exhaust side journal cylinder 5. Otherwise all smooth.
View attachment 929618

Now the question. If I am opening it up again, should I bite the bullet and rebuild - new head gasket, new rings, new rod bearings. Already have both seals replaced as well as intake, valve cover, timing chain and oil pan gaskets.

Pro:
  • I dislike that my other b30 requires such effort to stop oil burning (Rotella, o2pilot, frequent dipstick checks)
  • I could pm improved Mahle rings and (maybe?) look forward to 200k miles with less stress
  • Engine is on a stand and not getting installed until August at the earliest
  • Another notch in my mechanic's belt ;)

Con:
  • Can't figure out whether I have to timesert or not (no overheating, 98k miles)
  • Never done it before
  • Money - I estimate $300 for head work at machine shop + $5-600 for gasket, bolts, rings and bearings, timeserts $150

Please weigh in if you have an informed opinion (or if you have a ZHP exhaust sitting around unused)
Drop the cams in and call it a day...

·
Super Moderator
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
6,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #163 ·
Drop the cams in and call it a day...
Yeah. Gonna take the stupid route and tear it apart. I want to know how, and the engine was only $350.

Head coming off as soon as my e12 socket arrives.

·
Super Moderator
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
6,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #164 ·
Les jeux sont faits. No going back now.

Let's not forget the timing chain cover bolts!

And off the manifold comes...again.

I debated long and hard about pulling the head. It is going to cost dough, probably frustrate the hell out of me, and all around be a stupid move. But a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. I want to be a person who has replaced a head gasket, and there is only one way to get there.

On a positive note, the head is very clean

In case you are curious, the plastic was there to protect the motor while I figured out what I wanted to do.

In case you are curious, observant, and a lover of old steel bikes, that is a 1982 Miyata 1000 touring bike on the wall.

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
I was the bold person you are being now at 17 when I replaced the head gasket on my 1979 Saab 900 Turbo. I guess that set the stage to be the BMW tech I am now, 23 years later.

I actually just did a head on an M54 a few months ago. It's a pretty straight forward process, with timing it being the trickiest part. It took me 3 tries to get it right. The first 2 times I was close, but it was off just a hair with the VANOS timing. The BMW repair instructions weren't exactly spot on, and my first tries showed me where I needed to deviate a little bit. It kept coming up over advanced, IIRC, so I had to dial it back a touch before tightening something down. Take your time and you'll be fine.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
That looks pretty good, Archbid. Nice crosshatching still visible in the bores, just some carbon buildup to clean up.

·
Super Moderator
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
6,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #169 ·
That looks pretty good, Archbid. Nice crosshatching still visible in the bores, just some carbon buildup to clean up.

How does one clean the carbon?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Damn the insides of the cylinder walls still have crosshatching! Impressive. Love the progress so far on the touring. Don't see many of those around my parts.

·
Super Moderator
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
6,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #173 ·
Damn the insides of the cylinder walls still have crosshatching! Impressive. Love the progress so far on the touring. Don't see many of those around my parts.
I'm going to end up replacing every part but the frame. Fun project, however. And I have learned a ton.

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
6,789 Posts
Hate to correct. Deck. The head is the other one.

BTW, the best way to check those surfaces is corner to corner on a diagonal. Flashlight behind and shining onto the surface where the bar meets the surface you're measuring.

This way, if there's an imperfection the light is witnessed between the surface and the bottom of the straight edge.

BTW ladies and gents, that's a tool specifically made for checking such. Just because it's called a straight edge, don't be fooled into thinking your steel rule is a equal substitute. That's a precisely machined tool.

·
Super Moderator
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
6,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #176 ·
Hate to correct. Deck. The head is the other one.

BTW, the best way to check those surfaces is corner to corner on a diagonal. Flashlight behind and shining onto the surface where the bar meets the surface you're measuring.

This way, if there's an imperfection the light is witnessed between the surface and the bottom of the straight edge.

BTW ladies and gents, that's a tool specifically made for checking such. Just because it's called a straight edge, don't be fooled into thinking your steel rule is an equal substitute. That's a precisely machined tool.
Oops! The head did check out flat, my eyes aren't good enough to pick the right picture on my iPhone! Don't worry about correcting me. It is the way I learn, and I am too old to need to be right on stuff I know little about.

I did it straight and angled (as the long rebuild series here recommended). Only one gap - .003 by my feeler gauge. Otherwise no light anywhere. I then took it to a machinist and had them re-check, as this is my first time, and I don't have faith in my skills. He told me it was absolutely going to be warped (the head). He couldn't find any deviation.

The tool is a Starrett. Lovely to hold

·
Super Moderator
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
6,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #177 ·
Trying to rival the Dakar Yellow XI for cost involved?

I am in for about $9k so far over two years. That includes buying the car ($500) and this engine which will be about $2,000 all in when it is done including all gaskets, seals, and sensors.

May be lower as I sold many thousands of $ in parts as I refreshed. It will essentially be a close-to-new 330iT! And no, I won't get my money out ;)

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
I'm definitely past that in mine, at this point. And we will get our investment back in enjoyment, and you in education.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Hey Arch - Do you feel like doing piston rings? Once you have the head off and engine on the stand, it's really not that tough, and not a lot of extra $$

you'll cure any oil consumption, and be able to properly clean those pistons.

New Mahle ring set for M54 (with upgraded, bigger slits for oil drainage)
New Conn-rod bearings

I would loan you my wiseco piston installation tool - a precisely tapered aluminum bore - makes piston install a snap.

As for cleaning the block surface, I use a pack of NEW razor blades, holding each one at a near vertical to carefully scrape away gasket residue. change blades frequently. a little brake clean, a rag, and maybe a copper brillo pad (100% copper) for light scouring. Absolutely no scotchbrite.

Some people think you need a mirror finish on block and head...well you don't...stains are okay, left-over gasket material is not.

161 - 180 of 217 Posts