E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
241 - 260 of 261 Posts

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
7,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #242 ·
Tried to attach the other shelf - two more stripped holes. Interestingly, all of the studs that pulled out were where the alignment sleeves were. Not sure why they would be weaker. I am going to time-sert all four holes where the sleeves are when my new kit comes. If you include the time-sert and big-sert kids I used to reinforce the head bolt holes, that will make 6 different types of time-serts on this project - I am not proud of this...:
  • M6 for one of the bolts on the camshaft chain upper tensioner
  • M7 for the camshaft studs
  • M8 for the OFHG (also at the alignment sleeve hole)
  • M10 for one of the tranny bolt holes (another story - totally my fault)
  • M12 for the head bolts (from @Effduration)
  • M12-bs for the head bolt (from @Effduration)
In case anyone is interested, I used a different torque wrench on the second set of nuts to make sure it wasn't over-torquing. 14Nm-120in/lbs. It is possible that I over-torqued the first go-around (before I got the new cams that led to the rebuild), but I was careful, so who knows.

Definitely sending the wrenches out for calibration.

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
7,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #243 ·
On a positive note, the compressor is working like a champ! Maybe now I can really clean out the holes for all the dang time-serting I will be doing.

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
7,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #244 ·
You can see why most of us advise folks to just get a good used engine rather than rebuilding. It is quite involved with substantial risk. I get that you are doing this for the experience and support you 100%. Awesome that you are documenting every step with details and photos. This will certainly help others later on.

FWIW, I personally mitigate frustration by altering my expectations. I fully prepare/expect to make multiple mistakes on every single thing I work on. That way when it inevitably happens I am not surprised.
Yeah. It is an immensely satisfying project, and if it holds together I have a completely known engine with all new wear bits and zhp cams and hopefully a long-term solution to oil consumption.

So I can get all Zen and enjoy the ride ;)

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
7,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #245 ·
OK! Back in business..

Once I got the new time-serts, everything went swimmingly, and the engine (except for valve cover) is done! Ok, if swimmingly means:
1. Time-serted the three stud holes with the alignment sleeves that pulled out, torqued it all down, and the fourth stud hole with alignment sleeve pulled out. Removed the rack and camshaft again, time-serted, and got the racks back in line
2. Completely installed the cam sprockets and guides, and dropped the last nut as I was picking it up, and it disappeared behind the timing chain cover. I had to remove all of the sprocket hardware, pull the oil pan, pull the oil pump, find the nut, re-install the oil pump and pan, and then re-do the timing and re-install the sprockets, timing chain, and time chain guide/tensioner.

At this point the Buddha himself calls me when he wants to level up!

·
Premium Member
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
7,752 Posts
BTDT. There's an old wonder bread commercial.
"Builds strong bodies 9 ways." What you've been through, builds a strong constitution 9 ways.

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
7,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #248 ·
On the dropped-nut-down-the-timing-cover front, did you try rotating the engine stand to turn it upside down before pulling the timing cover?
If gravity made it go down there you can often get gravity to make it come back out.
Yes. I rotated it about 10 times and shook it. It was trapped and wouldn’t come out.
But let’s focus on the positive. The [email protected]@@er is back together and looking good!

I’m out for two weeks taking kids to college then the swap will begin😎

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
7,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #249 ·
Engine is still sitting peacefully in the garage. Wagon got sideswiped lightly by a dump truck, so I am insurance money to upgrade to Mtech front/rear/skirts.

About $2,200 so far and I still need the actual fogs and the brake vents. I will likely ignore the vents for now as they are $500 for the pair.

Hopefully, I can start taking the front end apart this weekend.

·
Registered
2001 325i Touring. 5-speed manual. Formerly automatic.
286 Posts
Engine is still sitting peacefully in the garage. Wagon got sideswiped lightly by a dump truck, so I am insurance money to upgrade to Mtech front/rear/skirts.

About $2,200 so far and I still need the actual fogs and the brake vents. I will likely ignore the vents for now as they are $500 for the pair.

Sorry to hear about the dump truck. MTech package would look great on a touring.

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
7,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #251 ·
Was a blessing. Super-minor damage and will pay for a lot of the project!

$3100 paid by check to me

·
Registered
4,505 Posts

Someone had a more budget solution to the ducts involving a combination of parts assembled off eBay and existing parts, IIRC.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
5,401 Posts
I recently did an ebay.co.uk search for someone and found great prices on M Sport ducts, which are exactly what you need.
Here in the US a lot of people get hung up on the M Tech II name, or "the ZHP bumper", and don't realize that it came on the M Sport package in the ROW and is fairly plentiful there.

I had just yesterday been thinking that I needed to ask you how the engine was coming along, anxious to hear how she runs!

·
Registered
2002 330 Ci
1,389 Posts

That sucks. Glad it was sorted.

About two weeks ago some twat at my wife's university left a nice paint transfer all down the passenger side of the vert. It polished out thankfully.

Can't wait to see your touring all together!

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
7,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #256 ·
Progress!
Car Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle

I will likely do the swap this coming weekend, but most of the prep work is done.

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
7,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #257 ·
Forgot to factor in two parents' weekends, so the swap won't be until November :(

Im the meantime, gonna have to deal with this harness:

Bicycle Bag Vehicle Automotive tire Luggage and bags

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
7,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #258 ·
Here is the engine I am removing. Not bad for 160k miles!

Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Auto part Metal Nut

If anyone is looking for a well-maintained b25 engine with oil pan gasket, vanos seals, and ofhg gasket done drop me a line.

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
7,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #260 ·
241 - 260 of 261 Posts