E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
221 - 240 of 261 Posts

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
7,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #223 ·
Solved the oil ring gap problem! Got some excellent data from @MrMCar. Also returned the Goetze rings and bought Mahle M52tu oil rings.

Parts:

M54b30 (for the top two compression rings):
Mahle 08320N0 11257506252
M52tu (for the oil rings):
Mahle 08306N0 11251437077

Perfect gaps.

Had to get the a new connecting rod bearing matched to the wrist pin:

Rings are on (don't worry, I fixed the gap orientation):

Clips go in:

Ready to re-install:

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
7,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #225 ·
Waiting on two timeserts so I can install the head. In the meantime, I am a bit concerned that the lip of one of the head bolt holes (now timeserted) now sits proud of the deck. I do t know how it happened, and I don't know how to fix

·
Super Moderator
1,985 Posts
Nice work...

What did you think of that Wiseco 84mm tapered piston installer? Maybe you haven't used a traditional piston installer, but that Wiseco tool is the cat's ass.

I do see a slightly raised ridge on at least a few bolt holes when I time-sert a block. I think it is from the drilling process. It has never been a problem. Take a look at the head gasket. The thickness of the gasket should compensate for this ridge and I believe there is a flexible ring around each bolt hole in the gasket to further compensate for these imperfections.

If you want another opinion, ask your machinist what he thinks...

·
Super Moderator
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
5,403 Posts
That does look like a burr raised during drilling. I would use a countersink or a chamfering tool to cut most of it off, then finish by running a flat sharpening stone across the surface of the deck until it runs smoothly, indicating all high spots have been knocked down.

One of these would be my choice -

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
7,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #228 ·
Nice work...

What did you think of that Wiseco 84mm tapered piston installer? Maybe you haven't used a traditional piston installer, but that Wiseco tool is the cat's ass.
That tool is magic. After watching a few videos with folks using an adjustable ring compressor I just laughed at how simple and effective the Wiseco tool was. If I do this again I will own one!

Installing the pistons was so easy. Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
7,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #229 ·
Fixed the burr issue! Onward!

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
7,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #230 ·
Sad night

Got the head gasket on and the head on. Torqued all the bolts to 40nm then 90 degrees. Was on the tenth bolt doing the second 90 when ”pop!” The wrench just jerked. Then the bolt spun.

Didn’t have the will to undo everything to see what happened, but I am hoping like hell it is the timesert not the new threads in the block.

All part of the learning process!
;)

·
Super Moderator
1,985 Posts
Does the #10 head bolt spin freely now or can you take a 3/8 ratchet and turn it? If not, you are likely fine.

These are torque to yield fasteners...they yield (stretch) on the second 90 degree pull and feel like they ease up...that's just how the yield feels...They make all sorts of sounds, including a "pop"

I suggest you do the final 90 degree pull on the remaining four bolts.

But if it IS spinning, we'll fix it with a big-sert

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
7,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #232 ·
Timesert stripped out. Most likely because I screwed up installing it in the first place. Head is pulled, waiting for a new head gasket and bolts, and to put in a Big-sert.

·
Premium Member
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
7,752 Posts
That's a first. Not to beat you up, but as a way of learning. What do you think went wrong during the timesert process?

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
7,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #234 ·
That's a first. Not to beat you up but as a way of learning. What do you think went wrong during the timesert process?
All good. I am reasonably certain I know what I did wrong. I didn't adequately clear out the chips (I tried!), so the first Time-sert seated proud of the hole. I consulted the Time-sert site and they said to drill it out using the bit and insert a new one. My guess is that I compromised the threads doing that, or the debris created pressure during installation that weakened the threads. It was a real "bang" when the threads gave way.

This time around I used an extractor, which was easier...

Getting the Big-sert kit from Eff, and will try again Weds. I have the new bolts and gasket on their way.

I make lots of mistakes, the hardest part is managing frustration!

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
7,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #235 · (Edited)
One of the reasons that clearing the holes went poorly is that my compressor crapped out during the project, so it is now an essential side-project. Blown seals and a dead capacitor (check out the date!). Can you imagine buying an Italian capacitor now?

Should be back together by Friday. I bought it the year I graduated from college when I was a carpenter/furniture builder.

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
7,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #237 ·
Thanks to the magnificent @Effduration who two-day shipped a big-sert kit, which quickly solved the issue of the day.

But Jesus Christ on an ice cream cone, if every victory doesn't pair with a punch in the balls. But I am getting ahead of the story.

Got the big-sert kit, drilled the hole, tapped and inserted. Made sure the holes were VERY clean every step. Put the gasket on, the head too, and torqued 14 bad-boy bolts in with 40-90-90 and it held!

Yes, I did write the tightening order on the walls of the head with a Sharpie. Color me cautious...

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Engineering Gas Auto part

I then dug into the camshafts, starting with the exhaust tray. Here are my very clean, fully purged lifters:

I was following the G.A.S. procedure, doing final torque, and I couldn't quite get the exhaust side #2 nut to torque. Yup, it was spinning. Poop. Took all the nuts back off (very carefully), pulled the tray and, lo and behold, this:

And, of course, it isn't a normal thread, so now I get to buy a time-seat kit, and not an M8 (which I already own), or an M6, which I could certainly use. No, this one is a f***ing M7. Yeah, gonna get a lot of use out of that one...

Onward!

·
Administrator
2004 330Ci 115k miles japan red
16,959 Posts
You can see why most of us advise folks to just get a good used engine rather than rebuilding. It is quite involved with substantial risk. I get that you are doing this for the experience and support you 100%. Awesome that you are documenting every step with details and photos. This will certainly help others later on.

FWIW, I personally mitigate frustration by altering my expectations. I fully prepare/expect to make multiple mistakes on every single thing I work on. That way when it inevitably happens I am not surprised.

221 - 240 of 261 Posts