E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
201 - 220 of 248 Posts

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
7,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #201 ·
Wrist pin.
the cylinder that connects the piston to the connecting rod.
It has three points of contact, two at the piston and one at the rod. I would presume that if I replace the pin I should replace and hone all three bearings, no?

I am not referring to the rod bearings at the crankshaft.

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
7,468 Posts
Piston is sans bearing. Tantamount to the camshaft ledges.

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
7,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #210 ·
Trying to find a replacement wrist pin. In the meantime, doing some cleanup on the existing pistons:

The head should be done next week, and a whole load of parts from FCP came yesterday - head bolts, rod bearing bolts, head gasket, rod bearing shells, stem seals. Got m52tu rings and Meyle m54 rings that I am going to make mixed sets out of.

Will rebuild as soon as I have an answer to piston 2 and its wrist pin.

·
Registered
2001 325i Touring. 5-speed manual. Formerly automatic.
227 Posts
Oil pump is refreshed. Removed the pressure regulator, cleaned and changed the o-ring:
View attachment 932914
Since you’re on the oil pump. How do you feel about safety wiring the oil pump nut?

I’m about to go 5-speeds and replace the oil pan gasket in the process so I figured I might as well get at that oil pump nut and safety wire it.

While I’m in there what else would you recommend I should replace as preventative maintenance aside from the rear main seal and associated housing gasket, engine mounts and LCAs?

·
Super Moderator
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
5,158 Posts
Since you’re on the oil pump. How do you feel about safety wiring the oil pump nut?

I’m about to go 5-speeds and replace the oil pan gasket in the process so I figured I might as well get at that oil pump nut and safety wire it.

While I’m in there what else would you recommend I should replace as preventative maintenance aside from the rear main seal and associated housing gasket, engine mounts and LCAs?
Steering guibo for sure.

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
7,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #214 ·

While I’m in there what else would you recommend I should replace as preventative maintenance aside from the rear main seal and associated housing gasket, engine mounts, and LCAs?
Giubo, high-pressure PS line

I did use a wired pump nut (not visible in the picture)

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
Reminding me of all the lightly used parts I have in my basement that I need to install when doing my swap! Still hoping with good prep I can knock it out in a 3 day weekend. Manual to manual and already MS45.1 should help.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
7,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #218 ·
Big day. Valve cover is cleaned up and ready for install

Need to find some time to gauge the rest of the oil rings and see what is up. @Effduration 's Timesert kit showed up yesterday, so there is that to look forward to!

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
7,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #219 ·
Timeserting. Thanks to @Effduration for the tools. Though I am waiting on a 1/2" tap handle from Amazon.

201 - 220 of 248 Posts