BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
370 Posts
Cool

·
St. Louis BMW Fanatic
7,084 Posts
I heard those gen 4 DDE rings were all hype and not flexible at all. What is your take on that John? I'm very curious since I've never seen them in person...and don't plan to.

·
'a certain moderator'
35,572 Posts
Nice, John! cant wait to see them and compare them to the gen 2 DDE's. how about a comparison photo, gen 2 on one side and gen 4 on the other? are u planning on sticking with the red color too?

lata
-brendan

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
vinnymac said:
I heard those gen 4 DDE rings were all hype and not flexible at all. What is your take on that John? I'm very curious since I've never seen them in person...and don't plan to.
I'm not sure why you would need to bend them, but they seem to havea little give to them. I have gen2s in now and they dont seem to bend...:dunno:

I am sure they will look great.

Sorry about the link before. time expired and I could fix it in time.

http://www.northsyde.com/john/gen4dde/FrameSet.htm

enjoy.

John V

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
umnitza said:
Now I would say that is flexible.... Damn...

I dont get Vinny's statement though. Why would they need to flex???:dunno:

Thanks again Matt. I may install them today. I took off work:thumbup: :thumbup:

John V

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
vinnymac said:
I heard those gen 4 DDE rings were all hype
Vinny,

If you want to know if they are hype, ask Cabby.

Didnt he return like 6 DAE its they bought off of a GB?? I know he did, I helped him install his DDE Gen4 kit last weekend.

IMO they arent hype, just bright!!

Thats my take. you asked....

Heres Cabby's car, with Jim P's gen4s

NE1 wants more info click on my sig.

John V

·
Site Sponsor
18,467 Posts
In fairness

I'm NOT going to turn this into another one of those "boring" threads.

Here are the facts.
Let's look at the virtues of the Gen IV rings:
1) Poly Carbonate
2) Flexible
3) Clearer than OEM BMW
4) Non-deforming
5) Specifically sized barrel openings that are re-engineered to match our proprietary fiber (no longer sourced from anywhere)
6) Poly Carbonate clips
7) 2+ years of R&D
8) Non-heat sensitive

Now let's break them down one at a time:
1) Clearer, stronger construction. They offer sharper edges, cleaner light dispersion, and better quality than their acrylic brethren. Ask around - Poly Carbonate is becoming the NEXT BIG THING for bumpers, windshields, and side glass for cars. WHY? Because it's durable, looks great, and strong!

2) Flexible - allows the Gen IV rings to be used in multiple application without any problems. Almost completely removes that chance they will break during shipment, installation, or handling.

3) Side by side, they are clearer - even cleaner in their dispersion of light.

4) Despite being flexible, they will maintain their "memory" and not deform. For example, when installed into an E36, they require a slight (few mm) of change in diameter (flexible), when removed, they spring back to their original diameter (a few mm). Also, this is important for e46 because they require no glue to be situated - it's all friction fitting - and the friction fit remains throughout the lifetime of the install.

5) We no longer import our fiber, we make it ourselves. Why? Because this ensures that our manufacturing specifications are adhered to. Why is this important? Because the Gen IV rings have a built in opening. No more messing with a clip that "sits" onto the halo and loses light. Just like the OEM 5-series Halo.

6) The clips for the E46 are also poly carbonate - they withstand an insane amount of pressure and will NOT break - even when pliers are used to break them.

7) What's to say, you get better with age and experience.

8) Will NOT deform (some acrylic WILL deform) due to high heat output of headlights.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
DamUTRIPPIN said:
not ANOTHER DAE vs. DDE debate!
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Didnt mean too....

Matt has some valid points though..

John V

·
St. Louis BMW Fanatic
7,084 Posts
johnv325ci said:

Vinny,

If you want to know if they are hype, ask Cabby.

Didnt he return like 6 DAE its they bought off of a GB?? I know he did, I helped him install his DDE Gen4 kit last weekend.

IMO they arent hype, just bright!!

Thats my take. you asked....

John V

I appreciate the feedback.

Yes, Cabby did return the kits he ordered. They clearly demonstrated they did not have the patience to install the kits correctly and created a bunch of grief for themselves. We glad accepted the returns and provided refunds. I'm not sure where you are going with this info....

:confused:

·
Registered
539 Posts
bottom line which one is brighter? Vinnymac...maybe you should drop your GB price a little:D :D :D :thumbup: :bow: :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts