BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving in the morning today and 2 minutes later I was already sliding in the snow. Got back and track and 1 minute later got stuck again.

Has this happened to many? Or am I just living in the wrong state for a bimmer?

How well does the XI's stay in snow?

LL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
349 Posts
I almost got into an accident this morning because my car started to slide as I came to at stop from 15mph.

These cars don't like the snow at all. Everyone just be safe out there.
 

·
Slow in, slower out
Joined
·
4,651 Posts
flimson said:
....
These cars don't like the snow at all. ...
Wrong, the stock tires don't like the snow. My touring was an animal in 2 inches of snow on top of ice today with Pilot Alpins.


Ed
 

·
blackonblack
Joined
·
269 Posts
lulubboy said:
I was driving in the morning today and 2 minutes later I was already sliding in the snow. Got back and track and 1 minute later got stuck again.

Has this happened to many? Or am I just living in the wrong state for a bimmer?

How well does the XI's stay in snow?

LL
The xi is really nice in the snow. I have my stock 17's with continental tires, and it handles beautifully. No issues whatsoever.

sig.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
217 Posts
XI rules in snow

With my 16inch 4 season OEM. Better than a 540i with snow tires
:bow: Xi:bow: The ultimate all weather driving machine - BMW
:flipoff:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
393 Posts
digitalgm said:
Well I dont think the weight distribution helps.... I tried to drive me M.... HAHAHAH oops!

AdamR
I said to you to break out the Civic....how far did you get with the M? I couldn't get past the driveway. Then it was walking to the bus stop.
 

·
OG Moderator Extraordinaire
Joined
·
5,761 Posts
I don't have snow tires, just 16s with Michelin All-Seasons... I have to put them on (as ugly as they are) but I'm expecting them to be a bit better than my sh!tty ContiSport Contacts (that are pretty worn after almost 40k and my aggressive driving style) on my Type 44s...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
Bridgestone Blizzaks on a 330I and I pray for snow so I can look at all the poor people off the road while I am tooling on by.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,686 Posts
Wht kind of rims & snow tires you think I should put on the M? Prolly blizacks but what rims? My car is used to 19" rims.

AdamR

JRC330IS said:
Bridgestone Blizzaks on a 330I and I pray for snow so I can look at all the poor people off the road while I am tooling on by.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
393 Posts
digitalgm said:
Wht kind of rims & snow tires you think I should put on the M? Prolly blizacks but what rims? My car is used to 19" rims.

AdamR

Well you're gonna have to give up some in "looks" and go with a 17" wheel. Tirerack.com let's you "build" your car with different wheels so you can see what they look like. The smaller wheels will work fine since the higher profile tire will compensate for the smaller rim.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,686 Posts
Heres the real question - how will my car do even when it does get snow tires on? I mean the M's have some serios power and a really nice final drive geared for acceleration...

AdamR
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
393 Posts
digitalgm said:
Heres the real question - how will my car do even when it does get snow tires on? I mean the M's have some serios power and a really nice final drive geared for acceleration...

AdamR
How much experience have you had driving in snow? Does SMG allow you to start off in 2nd gear? As long as you don't get all that torgue to the wheels right away the car will do well since narrow tires/high profile snows will grip will and the 50/50 weight distribution really helps handling and with a little practice is predictable. I'm looking forward to driving a rwd car again in snow. Get the snow tires and head to a large open parking lot and find out what the car does and doesn't do. Or wait until next week and I'll show you what mine does. (snow will be gone for good once my tires arrive)
 

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
Joined
·
12,960 Posts
biggest snow tire 18" 225 + 235 45 + 40

beauport said:


Well you're gonna have to give up some in "looks" and go with a 17" wheel. Tirerack.com let's you "build" your car with different wheels so you can see what they look like. The smaller wheels will work fine since the higher profile tire will compensate for the smaller rim.
LM22 Ii have a 2003m3 have them on my rims that came on the car
bobm3 :D :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
393 Posts
Re: biggest snow tire 18" 225 + 235 45 + 40

bobm3 said:


LM22 Ii have a 2003m3 have them on my rims that came on the car
bobm3 :D :D
digitalgm has 19" rims and Blizzak LM-22 come in 18" at the largest. So if he needs new wheels the 17" will work better for snow and cost less than 18" rims and snow tires.
You guys get the East Coast snow? How's the M with the Blizzak on?
 
1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Top