BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received my LED's yesterday via UPS and had them installed in about 30 minutes thanks to the DIY on http://www.alkanol.com/e46/index.html .

So after they were installed I fired them up and they started flashing like a police car... i was like WTF? The flashed for a minute then stopped then remained burning perfectly. I have to say I am so impressed with this mod, money well spent, the back of the car looks so clean w/ LED"s. (I got my retrofit from Circle BMW at a great price)

So now I had the taillight out warnings on the dash. I took it to the dealership this morning and they followed the LED retrofit path for the LCM. They said the lights flashing like an emergency vehicle is normal due to the LCM trying to check the bulbs. Anyhow, the recoding of the LCM was quick and free. One strange thing that did happen though is that the car/key memory settings were lost completely, so I had to go through the settings again w/ my service manager.

So all in all, it was a great experience, worth the money, and the car looks so bad @ss with them. :thumbup:

·
JDM - Style
4,166 Posts
Nice. Now let's see what they can come up with for us sedan people :)

·
Banned
2,072 Posts
Once again, I think we need a central location to hold all of the links for these DIY (unless there's one already).

I see a bunch of somewhat minor DIYs that may prove helpful to others (like removing the glove compartment last week).

·
1.888.JLEVISW
14,818 Posts
Wow, that's almost worth it to me at that price. If my clears got busted from a shopping cart or something, I'd definately go the extra mile for the LEDs... I just can't see replacing something that works just fine :dunno:

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BMWERKEN said:
It's quite hard if not impossible to retrofit the adaptive feature. This requires plugging into the braking system and ECU which is VERY difficult.
Yeah and I don't really care if it works or not... But one thing that i was nervous about was whether or not the outer ABLAS ring of LED's would light up when the car had the lights on... and YES they do.. so screw the ABLAS, it doesn't really matter anyhow, I only emergency brake every so often or sometimes never so it's not going to make or break the mod.

·
///Andrew Alewine
5,417 Posts
Wow, That's gotta be a mod that i'm going to have to look into in the future. It looks definetly worth every penny.

·
Banned
2,072 Posts
jlevi said:
Wow, that's almost worth it to me at that price. If my clears got busted from a shopping cart or something, I'd definately go the extra mile for the LEDs... I just can't see replacing something that works just fine :dunno:
Agreed.

·
Registered
516 Posts
dronell19 said:
Nice. Now let's see what they can come up with for us sedan people :)
it's not gona happen I think :( I would be first in line tough...

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
MIAMITOPAZ said:
did you leave the inner tail lights the same? - btw i think the older style pre-04 inner tail lights look better anyway
Sure did.. i think you're right.. i saw an '04 M3 there and i looked the pre-04 trunk lights better..

And i quoted the price wrong early, I got everything for around $390 or so.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
///ACS330Ci said:
Got pics? How about a list of p/n's?
I will post pics 2nite.. some of the the part numbers on the DIY site are old. I have the part numbers for the 'vert, if you still want them let me know. Circle or Pacific BMW will know which part #'s for your car.

·
Banned
105 Posts
Guys,
It is cheaper from Pacific BMW vs. Circle BMW. I did my shopping already. Also, w/the deducted price of selling my old clears..price would be $250 or so. I didn't bother to get the trunk lamps (reverse lights) since that would been an additional $70.
I also managed to get my hands on an ABLAS kit from PB_M3 and that kit works great! When I brake hard, the outter ring lights up. I actually set mine up where it lights up constantly but I can always adjust that in the future.

It's a great modification! Makes the car look more modern from the back.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
EuroProjektzM3 said:
Guys,
It is cheaper from Pacific BMW vs. Circle BMW. I did my shopping already. Also, w/the deducted price of selling my old clears..price would be $250 or so. I didn't bother to get the trunk lamps (reverse lights) since that would been an additional $70.
I also managed to get my hands on an ABLAS kit from PB_M3 and that kit works great! When I brake hard, the outter ring lights up. I actually set mine up where it lights up constantly but I can always adjust that in the future.

It's a great modification! Makes the car look more modern from the back.
Well it's $320 alone for just the taillights ($160 per side) then about about $70 or so in covers, cables, and weather strips.

I am just amazed how much nicer the car looks w/ the new taillights. Pics to come 2nite...

·
[]D[][]V[][]D[][]\[]
2,857 Posts
:pics:

·
needs a new sig...
4,963 Posts
rearviewmirror said:
Yeah and I don't really care if it works or not... But one thing that i was nervous about was whether or not the outer ABLAS ring of LED's would light up when the car had the lights on... and YES they do.. so screw the ABLAS, it doesn't really matter anyhow, I only emergency brake every so often or sometimes never so it's not going to make or break the mod.
So you just plugged it in and the outer ring works? you have a 2003, on a 2001 this wasnt the case...anyone know why, what will happen with my 2002

1 - 20 of 139 Posts