E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay so the other day i went to go open my trunk with the car on and from the inside and my trunk doesnt open. i get out to press the button from the outside on the trunk and the trunk still didnt open. i continue to press the buttons repeatedly, still doesnt open. i turn the car off and use the button on my key and the trunk opens. i was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what route they took at diagnosing the problem. i used the search feature and it didnt really give me any good threads. any help is appreciated thanks

·
Registered
8,483 Posts
Check to see if the lock on the trunk is horizontal. I believe it needs to be in a vertical position for the electronics to work. Makes a diff on mine anyway.
^ This.

Based on the fact that it worked with the key leads me to believe that there aren't any issues with the wiring to the trunk. The lock still has power to it.

Who uses the button on the inside anyway...? :dunno:

Also, are all of the doors unlocked when you try to use the interior and trunk lid buttons?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i locked the doors then unlocked them to make sure and it didnt change. i actually use the interior button and the trunk button very often so this is kind of a pain for me like i have to turn off my car to open the trunk.

·
Premium Member
3,579 Posts
Like SanDoe1 said, it doesn't sound like a trunk wiring problem to me! The trunk opened via the key fob so the wiring to the actuator is good. Sounds like the passenger doors were still locked when you tried to open if from the trunk lid switch and the inside button. The car will not allow you to pop the trunk via those two methods if the passenger door is still locked. I suspect your key only unlocked the driver's door when you got in. Try pressing unlock on the key again to unlock the passenger doors or use the center console lock button and then try the trunk.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
your rear shock is blown and you need new RSMs..

oh wait.. force of habit.

Like sam said. Try that first. Then look into the actual button for the trunk, could be shot and isnt that pricy to replace the button in the footwell.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I open my trunk in that manner as a safety feature. If my car is ever broken into, the trunk can't be accessed by pressing the button. The key has to turn the lock to a certain position and remain that way for your interior trunk button to work.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I open my trunk in that manner as a safety feature. If my car is ever broken into, the trunk can't be accessed by pressing the button. The key has to turn the lock to a certain position and remain that way for your interior trunk button to work.
I'm gonna try turning the lock with my key and see if that works thanks

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Officer140-- turning the lock on the trunk with my key has solved my problem now my trunk works like before.
Just so that everyone knows the lock has to be positioned vertically for the trunk button to work. Thanks to everyone that posted a reply

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.