BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'd like to do a simple engine mod to unleash whats under my hood.
My 2001 330Ci with Steptronic and the sports package just went out of warranty.
My first option was to do the GruppeM intake, since so many here seem to find it to be up to snuff (and easier to clean then Dinan).
Next it would be software for it, but I might also get the Dinan automatic transmission software for it.
Maybe the free-throw throttle body from Dinan too, but would it interfere with the performance of the GruppeM?.:yikes:
Any ideas and opinions would be helpful.
And a supercharger is way out of my price range right now ( and my insurance range!):pimpin:

Thanks
The Mule

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
12,960 Posts
don't forget this to

you can get a pully to make your engine run better to the back
wheels. and to make your rpm's go up faster.
bobm3 ;) ;)

·
Registered
494 Posts
I just read the article on Dinan's site about pulley swapping...they strongly disapprove. Has this article been discussed here before? Or perhaps Dinan is trying to discredit other manufacturers aftermarket products...?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I just read in someones signature about the pulleys and was curious about how they are installed and what exactly they do. Just have not had a chance to search the threads.

·
Rogue Engineering
2,362 Posts
Aftermarket Pulleys are slightly larger than the stock ones and they make the engine work less to do the same things as before...more of that newfound power goes to acceleration. Rogue and UUC have some things on their site about them...check them out

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can software be mixed and matched?
For example, can I get the technik Stage 1 software and ALSO get the automatic transmission software from Dinan?
Or would this cause problems?
Also, can I put in the Dinan throttle body and not have any complications? Or would a GruppeM version be better?
Thanks

·
Mod Squad
10,081 Posts
nzDave said:
I just read the article on Dinan's site about pulley swapping...they strongly disapprove. Has this article been discussed here before? Or perhaps Dinan is trying to discredit other manufacturers aftermarket products...?
This quote from [email protected] should pretty much answer your question;

Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks said:

First, carefully read what Steve Dinan wrote:

This is absolutely, 100% true.

However, it is not at all applicable to UUC's Underdrive Pulley sets!

We work hard to provide our customers with all the tehcnical information possible. For your own benefit, please take advantage of it at http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/udp.

In particular, if you look at http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/udp/udp_info/E46description.htm, you can see how we have tried to discuss as many of the concerns and questions that you might have as possible.

Notice that we offer an in-depth examination of:
1) Each of the pulley-driven components under the hood.
2) Why or even if that component should be underdriven.

With regard to the crankshaft pulley, I will quote from the above site:
"Also called the "main pulley", this drives all the other pulleys. By changing the size of just this pulley, all the other pulleys would effectively be underdriven. While this would seem like a simpler method, there are two significant problems: As explained above, not every accessory reacts well to being underdriven. Additionally, the crankshaft pulley is also the the tuned harmonic damper. The crankshaft on your inline six is subject to a wide variety of vibrations and harmonic phenomenon, and the damper incorporates an elastomeric component to protect the crankshaft from harmful effects of these forces. The risk of removing the harmonic damper is catastrophic failure of the crankshaft."

For this reason, we do not include a replacement crank shaft pulley, completely avoiding the issue discussed by Steve Dinan.

I hope this helps. And remember, Read the website!

- Rob [/B]
From this thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=113821&highlight=pulley

1 - 14 of 14 Posts