E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on doing my own oil changes in my 02 330ci. This is the first bmw ive owned. Ive found the diy's on how to do it, my question is, all the parts i need are 6qt of oil and the oil filter? Anything else recommended or is this it?thanks for the help :thumbup:

·
Registered
123 Posts
I plan on doing my own oil changes in my 02 330ci. This is the first bmw ive owned. Ive found the diy's on how to do it, my question is, all the parts i need are 6qt of oil and the oil filter? Anything else recommended or is this it?thanks for the help :thumbup:
get 7 qts, a 17mm socket for the oil drain plug & 36mm Socket for the oil filter. Good Luck! :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
^this, get 7 but only put 6.5 qt in. I usually put 6 qt's in then check the level, drive for a little bit and recheck to see where the level is at again. If needed i put the .5 quarts in.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Reset your oil service light in your cluster and that should be it.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Use 1/2 qt. to flush out the gunk once the old oil is gone (keep the pan underneath of course)

·
Registered
461 Posts
you used an allen key somewhere?
+1 :hmm:

whoever uses an allen key is not performing an oil change on an E46.

OP, one thing to remember, your new filter should come with a new oil filter housing gasket and a new o-ring for the drain plug. Lubricate both using the new oil before putting them in place.

·
Registered
65 Posts
+1 :hmm:

whoever uses an allen key is not performing an oil change on an E46.

OP, one thing to remember, your new filter should come with a new oil filter housing gasket and a new o-ring for the drain plug. Lubricate both using the new oil before putting them in place.
E46 M3 use 6mm allen key socket for drain plug

·
Registered
65 Posts
Here's one thing that I do. Not saying it's a right way. Turn on engine after you drained engine oil out (for few seconds, like 5?) to get the rest of oil out completely. Again. It's something I do.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Get 7qts of "BMW longlife 01" approved synthetic oil ( I use castrol syntec 0w-30). I would buy the filter kit (filter, O-ring and drain plug washer) from the dealer, it is of good quality and is relatively inexpensive. Torque both the oil filter cap and drain plug to 18 ft/lbs. Also I follow this video when I do mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StWae8JBKaY

·
Registered
47 Posts
I use LubroMoly. Kinda pricey but its a lot better than mobil1 or castrol. Made in Germany :eek:

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Bimmer App

1 - 20 of 20 Posts