BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
I just bought my 2000 bmw 328i last sunday, I have some cosmetic stuff I need to fix and also couple other things. I have the idle going up and down on cold starts I read on forum its most likely Vanos and I also have these 2 codes - P0340, P0740. One I read is like sensor by oil filter no biggie and other is auto tranny but its working just fine so im waiting till it breaks. I also on start up have yellow oil sign sometimes for like 6-8 sec not sure if its normal but on this oil change im doing ill replace the oil sensor I think.

If you have any inputs/links on my stuff that's messed up, It would be greatly appreciated although I searched all this on forum already but maybe im diagnosing it wrong never know. =)

Great forum btw I like how organized everything is compared to most of the bmw forums out there.

Here is dealer pic, till I post some of my own.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Hello!
I just bought my 2000 bmw 328i last sunday, I have some cosmetic stuff I need to fix and also couple other things. I have the idle going up and down on cold starts I read on forum its most likely Vanos and I also have these 2 codes - P0340, P0740. One I read is like sensor by oil filter no biggie and other is auto tranny but its working just fine so im waiting till it breaks. I also on start up have yellow oil sign sometimes for like 6-8 sec not sure if its normal but on this oil change im doing ill replace the oil sensor I think.

If you have any inputs/links on my stuff that's messed up, It would be greatly appreciated although I searched all this on forum already but maybe im diagnosing it wrong never know. =)

Great forum btw I like how organized everything is compared to most of the bmw forums out there.

Here is dealer pic, till I post some of my own.
Definitely sounds like the oil sensor is pooched, maintenance before mods will be much more satisfying in the long run! Looks good though :thumbsup:

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks yeah I actually had 2002 eclipse gt before (club3g.com) and we said same thing there maintenance before mods. Its actually like my #1 thing on car I own, its like obsession in way I stick to maintenance schedule pretty good. Thanks for compliment.

·
Registered
212 Posts
The oil sign shows every time you start the car and stays for around 6-7 secs right ? I have that too, and the mechanic told me it just indicates that the oil level is going up back to normal (since you just started the car) and you should wait until it goes away before you can drive the car. Its not a problem at all, i think its suppose to be like that.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The oil sign shows every time you start the car and stays for around 6-7 secs right ? I have that too, and the mechanic told me it just indicates that the oil level is going up back to normal (since you just started the car) and you should wait until it goes away before you can drive the car. Its not a problem at all, i think its suppose to be like that.
Oh alright great news! Well im working on paint job this weekend - bmw paint pen, scratch remover, mag polish, clay baring it, wax. So ill post couple pics of it all prettied up lol.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Honestly I was kinda pissed when that code poped, but when I took a minute to look at deal I got its ok I suppose. I took that 328i out door for 7200$ /w 145k miles and 2k cash back so loan was 9-2. I did my research on auto tranny's looking at about 900$ locally ~200miles for one with 55k miles on it plus I have great mechanic that used to work on my mitsu I had so putting in that auto cost me like, at most 400$ labor.

The Nada value was about 9200-9300 roughly, Getting both codes fixed and tranny would set me right around the nada value so really I bought the car for fair price in good condition.

To anwser ur question - At moment im not worried about it, running this tranny with code till it breaks and then doing the swap. And really without the code I wouldn't have known there is something wrong it works perfectly fine.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got the car detailed yesterday, went to bmw and ordered the paint pen for this color.
Here some pics and parts that you would use towel or rag I used microfiber towels.

Washed
Dryed
Clayed
Waxed

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts