BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Europrojektz East
7,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I had my Inspection 1 service done at VOB BMW in Rockville. Along with the Inspection I had them look at some problems I'm having with the car including a high pitched engine whine that gets higher pitched as you step down on the accelerator pedal. At first the techs said they couldn't hear anything so nothing was done to resolve this. But later when I came to pick up my car I had the service advisor sit in my car with me as I pressed the accelerator and he confirmed the engine whine. This is what pissed me off though... my car is still covered on the 4yr/50k mile warranty and he asked me how far am I willing to go to rectify this problem. I asked him to clarify this since obviously I want the problem rectified. He told me that even though my car is on warranty, in order to have his technicians try and diagnose the problem, I would need to pay them the labor costs to diagnose the problem (around $70-$80). I told him I have never heard of this since it's on warranty and I shouldn't have to pay anything to have the techs figure out what the problem is, especially since the service advisor confirmed that he hears the engine whine. Anyhow, I spoke with the manager who totally agreed with me and told me that since it's on warranty I shouldn't have to pay anything. Basically the manager "reprimanded" the service advisor (that manager wasn't happy that the advisor gave me such wrong information). The advisor almost convinced me except that I thought to myself that the technicians didn't charge me to diagnose the same problem earlier today (when they determined that they couldn't hear any engine whine) so why would they charge me to look at it again? In any case, I'm happy that I got the manager involved, so my car basically will stay at the dealership overnight and tommorrow they will hopefully rectify this.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
yea

VOB is usually pretty good to me whenever I go there. But I guess there's always people trying to make a little somethin on the side or who really just don't know wtf is going on in their own place of work. Either way, glad u didn't end up paying, I need to take my car there to re-finance my payments and take my car off of the lease; I love it and I wanna keep it. VOB is generally awesome, I'm going there in May to order a new M3 so my brother and I can both be drivin BMWs

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
let me tell u something. fawking dealers, well some, are abusing their powers and trying to rip owners up... that is why i always consult people from this board for help first... back to my story...

i cracked my bottom engine cover(cuz of snow,ice), it is the plastic part that covers the engine from the bottom. i went to a dealer and ask about the part. this dumbarse refuse to sell me the part because he needs to "diagnose the extent of the problem" and i know it is just a replacable part. he then setups me up for an service appointment... which I WONT GO at all(this coming saturday), im going to make him call me and tell him that i fixed it myself and maybe tell him a thing or two...

anyways, i asked another person and he was in the parts department. he told me the cost of the part, gave me CCA discount of 10% and told me how to install it. it was soo easy and needed no initial diagnostic that would have cost me $50

i guess the best advise is to ask our fellow fanatics first and then go to dealer and see what they have to say.

·
INDEED
1,135 Posts
yup there's some real scummy service people around. good thing you knew your rights man. I'd call up BMW NA too, tho I doubt they will do anything for you at all...

·
Europrojektz East
7,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
darkmanlfe said:
let me tell u something. fawking dealers, well some, are abusing their powers and trying to rip owners up... that is why i always consult people from this board for help first... back to my story...

i cracked my bottom engine cover(cuz of snow,ice), it is the plastic part that covers the engine from the bottom. i went to a dealer and ask about the part. this dumbarse refuse to sell me the part because he needs to "diagnose the extent of the problem" and i know it is just a replacable part. he then setups me up for an service appointment... which I WONT GO at all(this coming saturday), im going to make him call me and tell him that i fixed it myself and maybe tell him a thing or two...

anyways, i asked another person and he was in the parts department. he told me the cost of the part, gave me CCA discount of 10% and told me how to install it. it was soo easy and needed no initial diagnostic that would have cost me $50

i guess the best advise is to ask our fellow fanatics first and then go to dealer and see what they have to say.
I definitely agree with you. I actually did talk to fellow fanatics and read up on anything I could find in the archives. Bottom line is that I'm on warranty, therefore that service advisor's argument that I should be charged for whatever time his mechanics take to diagnose my problem absolutely makes no sense. I would think that if they should charge anyone then it should be the manufacturer of whatever component that is causing this engine whine.

·
Europrojektz East
7,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
egyptnads said:
just dont do anymore business with that cerain advisor
The funny thing is that this particular service advisor was my original advisor when I bought my car in 2000 up until 2001. At that point another advisor took over this particular team that I'm on, so my actual service advisor was busy trying to locate a customer's car that was apparently "lost" somewhere at the dealership, so he asked this other advisor (who gave me the wrong information about me having to pay extra money) to help me out. Yeah, best thing to do is if you're ever not sure if your advisor is telling you the correct information, double check with their manager.

·
Europrojektz East
7,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: yea

2001BMW330xi said:
VOB is usually pretty good to me whenever I go there. But I guess there's always people trying to make a little somethin on the side or who really just don't know wtf is going on in their own place of work. Either way, glad u didn't end up paying, I need to take my car there to re-finance my payments and take my car off of the lease; I love it and I wanna keep it. VOB is generally awesome, I'm going there in May to order a new M3 so my brother and I can both be drivin BMWs
Congrats on the M3. Yeah, VOB is usually pretty good with me also. The manager there is really good though. Very customer oriented. The frustrating thing for me is when I bring my car in for servicing or when I have problems, sometimes I feel they don't really take the time to investigate whether a problem is truly a problem. I mean they initially claimed that they couldn't hear any engine whine (probably because the car was inside their garage which is quite noisy). But had they taken the car to a quieter place outside the garage then they would have heard the whine, just as that service advisor did. Unfortunately for me I had to go to the dealership and prove to them that there is an engine whine when they could have just figured it out themselves had they taken the extra time to thoroughly investigate this.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Dealers

Navin323i said:

The funny thing is that this particular service advisor was my original advisor when I bought my car in 2000 up until 2001. At that point another advisor took over this particular team that I'm on, so my actual service advisor was busy trying to locate a customer's car that was apparently "lost" somewhere at the dealership, so he asked this other advisor (who gave me the wrong information about me having to pay extra money) to help me out. Yeah, best thing to do is if you're ever not sure if your advisor is telling you the correct information, double check with their manager.
You guys should put your dealer experiences good or bad on dealerrater.com so everyone can benefit from them.
Good luck
vern

·
Registered
576 Posts
Yeah, I hate to hear stories about this kind of stuff, but you bring up a good point. It is soooo important to establish a relationship with your service advisor. I have this type of relationship with my dealership (Passport). So much so that we're on a first name basis and he recognizes my voice when I call - cool, cuz I don't call often.

Although, I have not yet had any strange sounds or noises, etc. I have seen on several occasions the advisors taking customer on a ride to diagnose problems @ Passport. This isn't the first I have heard of not so great service from the VOB, but I cannot speak from first-hand experience.

But anyway, I am glad that you got it all straightened out and did not outlay any unnecessary cash. but, charging you to diagnose a problem while under warranty??????? ... I would have reprimanded that moron for such a piss poor attempt at extortion. I mean, damn, if you are gonna try to make an extra buck, come up with a better excuse than that, no? :tsk:

·
Europrojektz East
7,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oblueDre said:
Yeah, I hate to hear stories about this kind of stuff, but you bring up a good point. It is soooo important to establish a relationship with your service advisor. I have this type of relationship with my dealership (Passport). So much so that we're on a first name basis and he recognizes my voice when I call - cool, cuz I don't call often.

Although, I have not yet had any strange sounds or noises, etc. I have seen on several occasions the advisors taking customer on a ride to diagnose problems @ Passport. This isn't the first I have heard of not so great service from the VOB, but I cannot speak from first-hand experience.

But anyway, I am glad that you got it all straightened out and did not outlay any unnecessary cash. but, charging you to diagnose a problem while under warranty??????? ... I would have reprimanded that moron for such a piss poor attempt at extortion. I mean, damn, if you are gonna try to make an extra buck, come up with a better excuse than that, no? :tsk:
Trust me, that service advisor really got reprimanded by his manager. I just called the dealership now and that service advisor and a technician are working on my car right now. I just hope they fix it (or at least identify what component is causing the high pitched whine noise). My biggest concern is that I'm going to get a phone call from them saying that this sound is normal (however the service advisor did acknowledge yesterday that he can hear the whine and he didn't tell me it was a normal sound).

·
Europrojektz East
7,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Update:

Well, VOB called me earlier this afternoon and told me to come by and pick up my car. Apparently the service advisor who acknowledged that he heard my engine whine problem when he and I sat in my car yesterday at the dealership now is saying that he never heard any whine yesterday (i bet he's probably mad that his manager told him off yesterday for telling me the wrong information about paying for labor while under warranty). Not a problem since I just had the mechanic this time sit in my car with me and the mechanic heard the whine but then told me that it's a normal sound of the stock intake (do any of you know if this is true - does the stock air intake make a sort of high pitched "whistling sound" when you step on the accelerator?)
Well, so I was fine with the mechanic's answer, however when I rolled down the front driver's side window (the mechanic was still in the car) my damn window got stuck (apparently someone at the dealership probably slammed my door and now the window regulator is broke and the window won't close up all the way). At first they wanted me to bring the car back on monday, but I told them that I won't take the car because I can't roll up the window and it's supposed to rain and snow tommorrow) So finally the manager agreed to keep my car for another day and I now for the second day in a row I've gone to the dealership to pick up my car but was forced to leave the dealership in a rental car (a crappy Dodge Neon).

Edit: I don't have anything against Dodge Neons. I'm sure they're good cars. It's just that this particular Neon isn't in the best of condition. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts