BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, When I start to let off of the clutch, and basically when I am starting from a stop I get a soft humming sound from the Engine bay. I thought it was the clutch, but now I am starting to hear the sound more often, and not only when I am releasing the clutch. It is not the sucking sound you can hear from the engine, nor does it resemble any engine noise that I am familar with. It used to happen much less often, but now is becoming more previlant. I have ruled out and rattle, clicking sound. I have not entirely rulled out a rubbing sound, but it is not tire rubbing. So basically it is a humming sound, it last maybe a second at a time, and is not audible, or isn't being made when you are driving, just when you are starting from a stop. Okay have I confused everyone like I am confused??? Any suggestions will be considered. I would just like to have an idea of what I am looking for before I head to the stealer. Thank in Advance.

DJ

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
voice lessons?

j/k... can you hear the noise while standing infront of the car with motor running?
have someone rev it a little while you listen, perhaps with a stethescope. that should help track it down.
other than that, misc noises are hard enough to diagnose in person, almost impossible in writing.

good luck, and let us know what it turns out to be.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, honestly you hear it coming from outside the car more than coming through the firewall. So that is a good idea. I can have a buddy of mine help me test it out. I just got the shark injector and I guess now is as good as any to install that software and check on this noise. As much as I would hate to have anyone have problems with there car, I was hoping this noise seemed familar with someone. lol I do need voice lessons I don't know if the pitch is b flat or b minor lol Anyhow I'll keep everyone posted.

DJ

·
St. Louis BMW Fanatic
7,174 Posts
It could be your slave cylinder's hydraulic system...which is tied to your master brake cylinder...just a guess.

It could also be your release bearing (throw out bearing) in the tranny. The entire tranny is located roughly under the dash and the sound may appear to be coming through the firewall.

This could be a difficult one to troubleshoot.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
VinnyMac, Thank you. It is going to be hard to diagnos. I actually think I described the sound a little incorrectly. It is more of a 'farting sound' It just sounds like my car has a little bit of a Soft 'fart or gas' sound when I am at low speeds and give it gas. I think I am just going to go to the dealer after Thanksgiving. I get the sound now when I am not even touching the clutch. For example driving 5 miles an hour through my parking garage at work. No foot on the brakes or clutch but I am in 1st gear and everytime I hit the gas a little I get the 'fart' sound. It is frustrating because in the garage the sound is even louder lol.

DJ

·
Registered
12 Posts
is this during cold starts only? Does it go away when it heats up? If yes, I have the same problem and the dealer changed my pulley's to the new hydraulic ones (that's what they said). The sound is much lighter now.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TheSpilDog
That is a good suggestion and I am going to consider it futher, but it is not a problem with the engine being cold. It does it all the time, weather the engine is cold or warm and weather the tepm is warm or cold. In fact it made the sound when i just finished driving 260 miles from Cincinnati to Youngstown this past weekend. But who known maybe mine is just worse off than yours. Maybe this problem could be why I am convinced my 2.8 is weaker than most 2.8's. Thanks for the suggestion.

DJ

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bump to the top. If anyone has any idea please let me know.

Thank You

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
I know this thread is old but I have kind of the same noise coming from my 325ci, anyone find out what it was?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts