E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
eh.
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well guys.. i was going home on the 10 from ucla.. i was in 4th gear going about 65 at 3 1/2 rpm.. downshifted to 3rd.. to pass a car.... then shifted to 4th then VROOOOOOMMMM!!!!!!!!!! my rpm gauge goes nuts...... then all power dies in my car.. and i had to pull over... dunno what happened...

i didn't drive my car hard.... just blew.... now its on its way to assael to get checked in the morning.. um anyone have an idea? any suggestions? the dealers probably gonna say its my fault and try to screw me over... i know this happened to a lot of ppl on the board.. howd u guys take care of it?

·
P.I.M.P.
2,369 Posts
It sounds like you shifted to 2nd instead of 4th(thats why your RPM's went nuts)....if thats the case you just did a good amount of internal damage and you are shyt out of luck....warranty won't cover it. You will need a new engine.....

·
P.I.M.P.
2,369 Posts
If it was forth, the needles wouldn't jump, and your engine wouldn't spontanously "blow"....
The reason it happened to M3's, was because of a manufacturing defect...clearance issues within the engines. This was never the case for other e46's. There is no way your engine can blow by itself....Only way is if you put a 200shot of nos, redline it for 2 hours.....etc.

·
Registered
47 Posts
K-DOG said:
There is no way your engine can blow by itself....Only way is if you put a 200shot of nos, redline it for 2 hours.....etc.
Why do people post ignorant things like this online? Yeah, this guys PROBABLY blew his own engine with a mis-shift, but why not give him the benefit of the doubt? There is NO WAY the engine can blow? Guess what buddy: Any engine can be defective. Just because the M's problems are frequent doesn't mean no other car can suffer from them.

Mike D.

·
Crazy Boy
1,098 Posts
986S said:

Why do people post ignorant things like this online? Yeah, this guys PROBABLY blew his own engine with a mis-shift, but why not give him the benefit of the doubt? There is NO WAY the engine can blow? Guess what buddy: Any engine can be defective. Just because the M's problems are frequent doesn't mean no other car can suffer from them.

Mike D.
I think you are just not reading it correctly. He said the engine wont blow by itself (without other influences). He is implying that the driver had something to do with it and probably means a mis-shift. So dont call someone ignorant because you sound pretty dumb doing so.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Sounds like a classic misshift of something from the transmission that caused 4th gear to be 2nd gear. At 65mph in third, he should be doing about 4000 rpm. If he shifts it to 4th, it will be about 2800 rpm. If he shifted to 2nd, it would be past red line. I redline in second at about 54 MPH.

·
Registered
949 Posts
But he was OVER 65. When he downshifted to third to pass - I assume he gained speed.

Sorry to hear it happened. Might look into a lawyer, cuz I think BMW will give you plenty hassle.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Mpowered said:

I think you are just not reading it correctly. He said the engine wont blow by itself (without other influences). He is implying that the driver had something to do with it and probably means a mis-shift. So dont call someone ignorant because you sound pretty dumb doing so.
So you're saying that the only way an engine can blow up is a mis-shift or other driver error? What planet are you from?

Mike D.

·
Banned
1,649 Posts
I think this is how it happened :

1> hes in 4th @ 3 grand going about 60
2> downshifts to 3rd to pass a car and is at about 6-7K
3> THINKS he shifts to 4th and instead shifts to 2nd so needle reads off the tach and you throw a rod (This is not a S2k engine .... ;))

Anyways man, definetley sounds like a money shift. How long have you been driving manual? And it seems like a 330 transplant might be in your future - think of this bright side! :)

AdamR

·
can ya spare some change?
738 Posts
digitalgm said:
And it seems like a 330 transplant might be in your future - think of this bright side! :)

AdamR
Well if he's gonna do a transplant and if the cost for the engine and all related software changes is close, why not do a 3.2L S52 engine transplant, or better yet, a S54 transplant.... just a thought :dunno:

·
Registered
220 Posts
This scenario is why BMW is pushing for SMG. It takes "driver error" out of shifting. In the heat of the moment, it is easy to misshift.

·
Registered
69 Posts
may be a pc problem

on my 2002 blazer i had the car in reverse and when i went to put it into drive the car drive it didnt go so i put it in neutral
and then shut it off. when i restart it never did b/c it thought it was in rev so the pc wouldent let it start. i heard this happens to alot of cars and people think they blew there engine. maybe u pc skipped a beat and u didnt ruin ur engine just double check.:dunno:

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hmm IF this happened, it seems like I would take it to Rennsport to get a stage 2 or 3 kit done at the same time. Sounds like you are screwed anyway...

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Hrm....so he downshifted into second at 60 mph? I've downshifted and had the tach go to 7200 before without any problems. With my diff, I am still able to hit 60 in second gear.

I think I'm confused. He downshifted to third at 60, then he accelerated, and instead of going to 4th, he went to 2nd? If that's the case, then yea, money money money shift :)

1 - 20 of 73 Posts