BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking around the forums about theEC/GTO/Compass mirrors and how it is so easy to install by adding pin 3 and pin 10 to the harness. Be warned! Not all E46 will always be this easy!

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=259874&highlight=rear+mirror

From this thread, it seems the most complete pin out i've seen so far.

'03 Oval Mirror with no Assist, no homelink (10 pin connector)
-----------------------------------------------------------
Pin 1 +12V when car is put in reverse, I believe so AD is disabled while backing up
Pin 2 +12V Constant source (Power "reciever" for remotes)
Pin 3 +12V Ignition source (Power AD circuitry)
Pin 4 O/S (-) Optical Sensor
Pin 5 O/S (+) Optical Sensor
Pin 6 O/S (-) Optical Sensor
Pin 7 O/S (+) Optical Sensor
Pin 8 ????
Pin 9 LED kathode (-) This is the clown nose LED
Pin 10 Ground

Note: that the O/S pins 4, 5, 6, 7 take up four pins and loop into each other (ie 4/6 and 5/7)

Now on the car side. As mentioned I have an '05 M3 with Assist so my wiring may differ to that of other E46 vehicles. I can say though that there seems to be some commanility between my '05 and the '03 oval mirror

'05 M3 Car connector located near rain sensor, no homelink (10 pin connector)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pin 1 +12V when car is put in reverse, I believe so AD is disabled while
Pin 2 -BLANK- NO CONNECTION
Pin 3 +12V Ignition source (Power AD circuitry)
Pin 4 +12V Constant source (I-Bus for Assist)
Pin 5 Parking light +1.5V (used to light the Assist buttons)
Pin 6 ?????
Pin 7 +12V Constant source (Power "reciever" for remotes)
Pin 8 +12V Constant source
Pin 9 LED kathode (-) This is the clown nose LED
Pin 10 Ground

I have an oddball 330i with performance package, power seats and SOS. if your e46 has SOS, this can be a problem! I tried an auto-dim mirror and it melted the EC (boiled over look almost) because the SOS wiring used the same pins that the autodim mirror used. This permanently damaged the EC circuit and made the mirror useless. Now I thought, WTF? I noticed all the threads and DIY, no one really had SOS so they didn't have the wiring issue like I did.

So I fiddled around with the multimeter as well and found that pin 4, 5, 6, 7 would have a problem with the electrochromatic circuit on the mirror. I had to remove the pins from 4,5,6,7 and add pin 3 only since pin 10 was also SOS shared ground. Luckily I ordered the BMW harness kit and had an extra plug to just throw the SOS wires into and shove it up into the headliner. Now I have an EC/GTO mirror, no compass yet.. got to find one :)

I just thought I put my experience on the forums, so no one has to melt another one of these mirrors and waste their money. :hi:

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I've been looking around the forums about theEC/GTO/Compass mirrors and how it is so easy to install by adding pin 3 and pin 10 to the harness. Be warned! Not all E46 will always be this easy!

I have an oddball 330i with performance package, power seats and SOS. if your e46 has SOS, this can be a problem! I tried an auto-dim mirror and it melted the EC (boiled over look almost) because the SOS wiring used the same pins that the autodim mirror used. This permanently damaged the EC circuit and made the mirror useless. Now I thought, WTF? I noticed all the threads and DIY, no one really had SOS so they didn't have the wiring issue like I did.

So I fiddled around with the multimeter as well and found that pin 4, 5, 6, 7 would have a problem with the electrochromatic circuit on the mirror. I had to remove the pins from 4,5,6,7 and add pin 3 only since pin 10 was also SOS shared ground. Luckily I ordered the BMW harness kit and had an extra plug to just throw the SOS wires into and shove it up into the headliner. Now I have an EC/GTO mirror, no compass yet.. got to find one :)

I just thought I put my experience on the forums, so no one has to melt another one of these mirrors and waste their money. :hi:
Sounds cool - do you have a pictorial diy - some of us learn better from pics..!

·
Registered
7,983 Posts

Thanks for posting this! My new mirror would've become a paper weight had I not come across this before installing it. For now I just electrical taped the ends of the wire and shoved it in the headliner. I may install a separate assist switch kinda like what the other BMWs have. Not that I have any use for assist...

·
Registered
10 Posts
my bmw assist keeps turning on randomly when i turn on my car. i believe its because my mirror has been changed to the rectacle homelink/compass one. I read that you are suppose to remove the pin 4 and 7 but i was wondering if you guys can let me know where the pins are? the color ? thanks !

·
Registered
196 Posts
wish i had saw this thread before i ruined the mirror i just purchased on ebay with homelink... :cry:

·
Registered
4 Posts
my bmw assist keeps turning on randomly when i turn on my car. i believe its because my mirror has been changed to the rectacle homelink/compass one. I read that you are suppose to remove the pin 4 and 7 but i was wondering if you guys can let me know where the pins are? the color ? thanks !
@gordonc1991, were you able to figure this out? I have the same problem in my E46 325xi, the BMW Assist keeps popping up randomly after the retrofit.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I recently did this retrofit on my sedan (without assist). The pins are numbered on the connectors, very small and hard to read, but they are there. Find the pins you don't need and disconnect the wires from the connector.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I recently did this retrofit on my sedan (without assist). The pins are numbered on the connectors, very small and hard to read, but they are there. Find the pins you don't need and disconnect the wires from the connector.
Thanks. I'll try that and post back. Did you have any issues with the battery usage after this retrofit? I had parked it for about a week after the retrofit and it died - I had to jump start.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I haven't had any battery drainage problems after the retrofit. I followed this guide and bought the wiring adapter, made things much easier. In fact, if you buy the wiring adapter you only need to connect pins 3 and 10 to get the mirror to function and you won't have to worry about the assist being a problem. I will tell you that the clown nose led is run off of other wires, but I'm not exactly sure what pins. If you hook up only pins 3 and 10 your clown nose led will not work.

http://www.bigpatsfans.com/mirror/compass.htm

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just purchased a new mirror with homelink and compass to replace my SOS mirror. Anyone performed that swap and can provide some insight?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just purchased a new mirror with homelink and compass to replace my SOS mirror. Anyone performed that swap and can provide some insight?
You have to pry the mirror base case apart. The seem is in the middle, but if you use a thin screwdriver you can use on of the holes and gently pry to unclip it.

There are two plugs which are easy to separate. Once separated, grab the mirror and twist the entire arm counter clockwise about 1/4 turn and it will come off the window mount.

Pu the new on on by line up the grooves (start at the 1/4 turn mark where your old mirror disconnected). When you feel it bite turn it 1/4 turn clockwise.

Connect your wires and put your case back on. If you are having trouble with th case, you'll need to put the wires back in their original position for the case to fully clip. So be sure to take a pic or remember how the wires look befor you remove them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
wish i had saw this thread before i ruined the mirror i just purchased on ebay with homelink... :cry:
Ditto here, expect I got mine out of a salvage yard. That was a $50 dollar lesson. Guess it could've been worse worse. Had to put the old on in until I can locate a reasonably prices replacement. So far all my fixes have not been as expensive as I was told and even parts from the dealer have been reasonable. HOWEVER, all the e46 auto dimming SOS mirrors have been really expensive ($550 new from dealer & $435 on bavauto.com) and EBAY hasn't even been a place to find a good deal (best price = $140 with failing mirror).

I also have an odd 2005 330i sedan with the sport package bought at auction. I'm told that you just can't willy-nilly mix and match parts. Too late for that mirror which wasn't returnable.

Does anyone know where to find these at a reasonable cost - even used? Also, some of the used ones I'm seeing online have a gold-ish tint to the mirror. Is this indicative of a failing/failed mirror?

·
Premium Member
28,970 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Bump: when removing pins 4-7, are we supposed to disconnect the wires from the car end of the wire, or remove the pins from the mirror side?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Bump: when removing pins 4-7, are we supposed to disconnect the wires from the car end of the wire, or remove the pins from the mirror side?
always remove from the mirror side. If you ruin the wiring on the car itself, you may have a bigger problem than just a $100 mirror

·
Registered
3 Posts
Successful Mirror Replacement

So these posts were very helpful in replacing my foggy SOS mirror. I purchased a replacement on eBay for $40 (HomeLink, Compass, AutoDim) which was either a "01-06 BMW E46 M3" or a "e60 m5" - some confusion as both are n the description. Anyway, I clipped the wires to pins 4-7 on the replacement mirror and the mirror works perfectly. Also, found this helpful: https://bmw.etk.club/eba_docs/5649en.pdf

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just wanted to add another data point for those looking to replace their mirror. I replaced the mirror in my son's '04 325xi (SOS, red clown nose, auto dimming) that had the bubble effect. I picked up a homelink, non-SOS, flat clown nose mirror (donor vehicle unknown) on ebay for $50. I pushed pins 4, 5, 6, and 7 out of the mirror side of the connector, taped them out of the way, and everything appears to work as it should.

Pin 2 was empty on the mirror and I left it that way. I only mention that because some posts have mentioned putting a pin there.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts