E46 Fanatics Forum banner
61 - 80 of 85 Posts

Super Moderator
So, here's an update.

I'll be taking another route though. I found a local independent autobody shop that will fix all the damage and paint the entire car for 4k. That's without me doing any prep work. Two other estimates I got from chain operated places were in the 10k + range.
It goes in on the 24th of January. Gives me plenty of time to sell my kidneys. Lol
Hey get your in-laws to pay for it...... 馃榾

I figured I could try a little soft humor now that its been a few days....

Sounds like a solid plan.....That car is too nice to let anyone total it.

Premium Member
2002 330 Ci
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Hey get your in-laws to pay for it...... 馃榾

I figured I could try a little soft humor now that its been a few days....

Sounds like a solid plan.....That car is too nice to let anyone total it.
Ugh..... :rolleyes:

Yeah, if it was in the mechanical shape it was in when I bought it then it be scrap metal.

One of my asshole neighbors was happy when they saw the damage and told me "good, send it to the scrap yard. One less eyesore for us to look at". I said, nope fixing it. He told me that's the stupidiest decision to fix something that worthless. He's an 80 year old navy vet that's lost his mind and can't regulate what he's saying. He thinks I'm a traitor because i fix up german cars. :ROFLMAO:

Premium Member
2002 330 Ci
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
$4K to fix this is crazy cheap. Just the painting with no damage to fix would cost significantly more than that here.
I would't hesitate for a second to take that offer if the shop guarantees the job.
They do. They are pretty meticulous about their process. They won't do easy shortcuts. Like just cutting out the crushed area.

They are replacing the whole quarter the right way. Said welding in just that portion would not look how it's supposed to and they have a reputation to uphold. They are a small independant local shop, so shitty work equals no more business.

Registered
They are a small independant local shop, so shitty work equals no more business.
I hope it turns out as well as it sounds. That鈥檚 a decent amount of work for the price. Find out the paint brand and research it to your satisfaction. If the margins are thin, paint costs are one area where shops can save money by cheaping out. I鈥檓 not saying it鈥檚 a given, but it鈥檚 an easy question to ask. If they have been around a long time, have a good reputation, and stand behind their work (lifetime workmanship guarantee is the norm), it sounds like you found yourself a good place to do business with.

Premium Member
2002 330 Ci
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
I hope it turns out as well as it sounds. That鈥檚 a decent amount of work for the price. Find out the paint brand and research it to your satisfaction. If the margins are thin, paint costs are one area where shops can save money by cheaping out. I鈥檓 not saying it鈥檚 a given, but it鈥檚 an easy question to ask. If they have been around a long time, have a good reputation, and stand behind their work (lifetime workmanship guarantee is the norm), it sounds like you found yourself a good place to do business with.
The labor rate they are charging me on the invoice is 38 bucks an hour. Really inexpensive.

Premium Member
2002 330 Ci
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Sounds Great! Glad to hear you got a reasonable shop quote. Shows your wife loves the e46 if she drives it like that馃榿
Yeah. She loves how it drives. Yesterday she drove with the top down. She was telling me she was enjoying driving it so much that she wasn't even bothered by the damage. Said she pretended she was on a race track and the damage was from racing. Lol

Registered
2005 BMW 330i
I'm personally going thru this again, first time involving insurance and this event I'm trying to refrain considering I wouldn't get too much out of the car especially with the current market. But $1800 I might have to road trip out if it seems quality to you.

Premium Member
2002 330 Ci
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
I'm personally going thru this again, first time involving insurance and this event I'm trying to refrain considering I wouldn't get too much out of the car especially with the current market. But $1800 I might have to road trip out if it seems quality to you.
Oh, that sucks. I'm glad you've got insurance to help though.

It goes in on the 24th of January. When it gets done I'll post up how it went.

One thing I found out too is he's giving me a deal. When everyone here was saying that's pretty inexpensive I checked in to make sure they told me right.

Registered
2005 325i wagon 5 speed manual / 2007 328xi 4 door sedan automatic
My wife was driving back from campus this evening and was hit in the rear driver's quarter panel. She was in the middle lane and the other driver was speeding by on the left.

Other car hit the vert and then spun out and flipped over. The girl driving the other car said her brakes just locked up by themselves and made her swerve into my wife.

We are both gutted. We put so much blood sweat and money into fixing it up. I bought it for my wife for valentines day after she wanted one for years. :**(

View attachment 940427
View attachment 940428
View attachment 940426
buy the car back from the insurance and have a shop fix the body work damage.

Registered
No, I wouldn't accept the first offer. I need to research fixing this. The motor is pretty much new.... as is the whole suspension. New effing everything.

I can probably cut the rear quarter out of the vert that's sitting in the junk yard. As well as grab the door.
If you can find one in the junk yard, go for it.

Registered
Yes, there is a Porsche dealer right there. I would only buy an old one though if I'd ever get one. I prefer these e46s though.

I do want to fix it this vert. She drives too nice to part out.

There's a silver e46 vert in the lkq yard with a good door and quarter panel. I need to get a repair estimate first and then argue with this person's insurance company to get as much as I can.
Shouldn't have to argue, but if you do consider taking the other driver to court. Just because an insurance company paid you what they say the car is worth doesn't mean the other driver doesn't have any more responsibility. As much work as you put into this car, consider yourself a collector.

Premium Member
2002 330 Ci
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
oh no! That is so sad. You have put so much work into that car.:mad::cry::cry:
Hey! Good to see you on here!

It is really a blow. But it can be fixed. If it was going to cost more than I can afford I'd just do it myself over time. This just takes money away from other stuff.... like upgraded turbos for the n54.

I eventually was going to paint it myself anyway as well. So, this just expedited that being done by a couple years. Lol.

Registered
Hey! Good to see you on here!

It is really a blow. But it can be fixed. If it was going to cost more than I can afford I'd just do it myself over time. This just takes money away from other stuff.... like upgraded turbos for the n54.

I eventually was going to paint it myself anyway as well. So, this just expedited that being done by a couple years. Lol.
I couldn't pass up selling my 325i. I got offered 6K and couldn't pass it up. I still log in to see what everyone is doing periodically though. I do plan to get another one. trying to find a touring that needs some love and start the process over.

Registered
Best M5 Ever Made!
I feel for you BMW brother. Same thing happened to my car, it had 80% all brand new lifetime FCP parts, and some old woman shot out of a parking lot unexpectedly right into my passenger rear quarter, totaling the car. I was on vacation with the family 2 hours away from home. Dealing with insurance to get any value back was difficult.. This happened back in 2017, they wanted to give me something like under 3 grand for the car, due to it having 236,000 miles and some fender rust, but I shoved 1000 receipts in their faces and it ended up somewhere around $4500ish I think. I raped it for the UUC exhaust, wheels, intake, any interior and engine bay bits I could remove quick in the body shop yard, head lights, Mtech II front bumper, etc. Nightmare. but I supposed things happen for a reason so look on the bright side into what's next for her?

Registered
Sorry to hear about all this...

Get the body estimates. But you are uniquely qualified to bring another cheap E46 'vert back to life. Keep your car as a donor...tell the HOA folks it's temporary.

A week ago, I saw a ZHP 'vert in California in need of a head gasket. The seller offered it to me for $800...You will find a replacement if fixing yours doesn't work out.
Hey is that zhp still available and could you share the link?

61 - 80 of 85 Posts