E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Premium Member
2002 330 Ci
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife was driving back from campus this evening and was hit in the rear driver's quarter panel. She was in the middle lane and the other driver was speeding by on the left.

Other car hit the vert and then spun out and flipped over. The girl driving the other car said her brakes just locked up by themselves and made her swerve into my wife.

We are both gutted. We put so much blood sweat and money into fixing it up. I bought it for my wife for valentines day after she wanted one for years. :**(

Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive mirror

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

·
Registered
339 Posts
If you suspect a total loss, don’t just accept their initial offer. They will default to some algorithm based on mileage, condition, and zip code. On these cars they are generally low, and don’t reflect the demand in the market right now, how could they? Get a range of comparable vehicles in your area with similar mileage and options, and use those to negotiate a settlement more to your liking.

·
Premium Member
2002 330 Ci
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you suspect a total loss, don’t just accept their initial offer. They will default to some algorithm based on mileage, condition, and zip code. On these cars they are generally low, and don’t reflect the demand in the market right now, how could they? Get a range of comparable vehicles in your area with similar mileage and options, and use those to negotiate a settlement more to your liking.
No, I wouldn't accept the first offer. I need to research fixing this. The motor is pretty much new.... as is the whole suspension. New effing everything.

I can probably cut the rear quarter out of the vert that's sitting in the junk yard. As well as grab the door.

·
Super Moderator
'02 330i 5-Speed
6,034 Posts
That's awful! Glad your wife is OK though. Looks like the rollover bars deployed even though the E46 wasn't the one that flipped over...

You put so much work into that thing. I hope insurance does right by you.

·
Premium Member
2002 330 Ci
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's awful! Glad your wife is OK though. Looks like the rollover bars deployed even though the E46 wasn't the one that flipped over...

You put so much work into that thing. I hope insurance does right by you.
Yes. I am very glad she's OK. That's most important. I'm surprised the other person didn't get injured either.

My wife is certain the girl was texting. But.... that's going to be hard to prove.

Happened at exit 7 on the 75. Eastbound lane.

This vert is literally mechanically all new. All that was left was little cosmetic things.

I'm going to see how much it will cost to weld a new quarter panel in because I drove it back from the accident and it's driving fine. Except for the rear tire rubbing into the smashed panel.

·
Super Moderator
'02 330i 5-Speed
6,034 Posts
Do you have a dashcam? I'm seriously thinking about pulling the trigger on one for situations like this...

Exit 7... That's the one with the Porsche dealership, right? Maybe it's a sign... Just kidding. Too soon?

Seriously though, I hope you can get it fixed. Tons of verts out there to pull the metal from.

·
Super Moderator
2,408 Posts
Sorry to hear about all this...

Get the body estimates. But you are uniquely qualified to bring another cheap E46 'vert back to life. Keep your car as a donor...tell the HOA folks it's temporary.

A week ago, I saw a ZHP 'vert in California in need of a head gasket. The seller offered it to me for $800...You will find a replacement if fixing yours doesn't work out.

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Damn. Sry to see this, but happy your wife is ok.

I vote for repair. A friend of mines e30 was similar to this and it was brought back with little issue.

Just find a good shop and give them whatever the insurance writes off to you.

You’ll have a salvage title but who cares.

·
Premium Member
2002 330 Ci
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Do you have a dashcam? I'm seriously thinking about pulling the trigger on one for situations like this...

Exit 7... That's the one with the Porsche dealership, right? Maybe it's a sign... Just kidding. Too soon?

Seriously though, I hope you can get it fixed. Tons of verts out there to pull the metal from.
Yes, there is a Porsche dealer right there. I would only buy an old one though if I'd ever get one. I prefer these e46s though.

I do want to fix it this vert. She drives too nice to part out.

There's a silver e46 vert in the lkq yard with a good door and quarter panel. I need to get a repair estimate first and then argue with this person's insurance company to get as much as I can.

·
Premium Member
2002 330 Ci
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry to hear about all this...

Get the body estimates. But you are uniquely qualified to bring another cheap E46 'vert back to life. Keep your car as a donor...tell the HOA folks it's temporary.

A week ago, I saw a ZHP 'vert in California in need of a head gasket. The seller offered it to me for $800...You will find a replacement if fixing yours doesn't work out.
Thanks. I'm leaning towards hopefully fixing it.

If not I would have to wait before getting another vert to bring back to life and be able to keep this one for parts. I'm kind of out of space to bring anything else in for fixing.

My e60 is up on jack stands in the garage with the subframe out. Doing maintenance on that.

The e53 is up on blocks in the driveway while I wait for stiffner plate bolts. PO had three different types of incorrect bolts on that. Also doing cv boots on it.

Thankfully my old 97 Ford Expedition is solid and doesn't need anything. She's a reliable old tank.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts