E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok before I you read the rest of this... I realize that neither of my cars are drag cars...

2002 M5 Dinan exhaust/intake/software
2001 m3 ess vt2-445

It seems like the m5 just got better traction at the track, it hooked up and was gone. The M3 spun the tires some. Im also not the best drag racer so the times are relative to my poor drag skills.

m5 - 13.04 @ 103mph 1/4
m3- 13.6 @ 100 mph 1/4

On the freeway and light to light, my m3 is faster by a bit...so Im guessing its just a traction issue...

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Ok, to be able to tell exactly where you lost your 1/2 sec, you need to look at your slip and look at the various times.

The key to good 1/4 mile times is the launch and 60ft time. There are a lot of little things that have to be learned, but all is learned though actually running at the track and asking questions from the experienced people there.

Note: your time is a respectable time none the less.

·
Registered
533 Posts
im sorry, 13.6 is not a good time for a supercharged M3. a stock m3 should do that time and better. you probably just had major traction issues because of the extra power

·
Registered
64 Posts
The 1/4 mile times look weird. Most times if you have a lot of hp and you spin at the start, the 1/4 times are slow but the trap speeds are high. Your M5 looks like it is faster at the trap and in a standing 1/4 mile.

·
Registered
8,127 Posts
Even a stock M3 is supposed to be able to do low 13s in the 1/4 mile isn't it? I've always read that the E39 M5 and E46 M3 were pretty much even stock vs stock (I never actually had a chance to race one so I don't know how true that is)

·
Registered
435 Posts
That video is a complete fail! There's always someone that has to post it

OP, you need to post some drag slips so we can see the problem. Stock M3s do better than that.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
13.6 is a tenth faster than what my near stock E36 250hp M3 ran :rofl: Something is incredibly wrong with your car.
no offense but it may be the driver - if you dont know how to leave properly off the tree, how to hook up, where to shift, ect you can take a fast car and slow it down a lot....

·
Registered
533 Posts
no offense but it may be the driver - if you dont know how to leave properly off the tree, how to hook up, where to shift, ect you can take a fast car and slow it down a lot....
honestly.. a supercharged m3 should go faster than 13.6 with your eyes closed.. unless he REALLY didnt know what he was doing at all. but i would think he was at least a decent driver if he went 13.0 with the M5

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK here are the slips. Car 153 is the m5, 154 is the m3. Im not claiming to be an awesome drag racer, and again I dont think either of my cars are drag cars... it was just the easiest way for me to compare the two.

I dropped the tire pressure on the m3 to about 30lbs and didnt want to go much lower. The m5 I didnt do anything except a decent tire warm up.

The m3 on my first run felt fast after it stopped spinning. On the 2nd run I felt a definite dip in power between 60-80 miles per hour, then it came back on strong. I was running about 3 gallons of 91 mixed with 3 gallons of 100 octane. Never before or after have I felt that power loss. After the run I couldnt really tell if I was smelling brakes or clutch. Im taking it back in tomorrow to have GoodSpeed check it out for me. On the Dyno, there was no power dip after the install. Maybe Im due for a fuel filter or something.. who knows.

·
Registered
533 Posts
do u have a boost gauge in the car? those numbers look more like what a stock M3 looks like, maybe a pipe is blown off or something and you arent getting boost. between the 2 M3 runs, u cut almost 4 tenths off on just the 60 foot. usually, every tenth off the 60 ft is good for about 2 tenths off the 1/4 mile (assuming everything else went right). but you only cut less than 3 tenths off, and even had a 2 mph lower trap speed. something is definitely off if u didnt miss any gears or shift early or anything like that

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Agreeed, but I also agree with Opey.

honestly.. a supercharged m3 should go faster than 13.6 with your eyes closed.. unless he REALLY didnt know what he was doing at all. but i would think he was at least a decent driver if he went 13.0 with the M5
OK here are the slips. Car 153 is the m5, 154 is the m3. Im not claiming to be an awesome drag racer, and again I dont think either of my cars are drag cars... it was just the easiest way for me to compare the two.

I dropped the tire pressure on the m3 to about 30lbs and didnt want to go much lower. The m5 I didnt do anything except a decent tire warm up.

The m3 on my first run felt fast after it stopped spinning. On the 2nd run I felt a definite dip in power between 60-80 miles per hour, then it came back on strong. I was running about 3 gallons of 91 mixed with 3 gallons of 100 octane. Never before or after have I felt that power loss. After the run I couldnt really tell if I was smelling brakes or clutch. Im taking it back in tomorrow to have GoodSpeed check it out for me. On the Dyno, there was no power dip after the install. Maybe Im due for a fuel filter or something.. who knows.

Good lord that M5 hooked up, cheater slicks???. Something is most certainly not right with your M3, your second 60' is better than mine when I ripped off the 13.7 in my E36. Just a thought, but maybe your clutch is going... that may explain the better 60' on the second run (slip helps get power down and traction).

·
Registered
46 Posts
Was the traction control on..a 100mph trap is awful for a s/c car. The e39 looks right on the money with the mods it has. Put some headers on the e39 to really get some decent gains. My e46 bone stock ran 104 traps.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Good lord that M5 hooked up, cheater slicks???. Something is most certainly not right with your M3, your second 60' is better than mine when I ripped off the 13.7 in my E36. Just a thought, but maybe your clutch is going... that may explain the better 60' on the second run (slip helps get power down and traction).
thats probably a good possibility if its a stock clutch on a supercharged car, plus how he felt a dip in power, could have been slippping

·
Registered
196 Posts
those 60ft times suck. get the cars to hook and both would be in the 12's without question. you want ATLEAST a 1.5 60ft. ive seen v8 s10's that still have a stock frame and leaf spring setup pull 1.2x 60 ft's. the snowmobile i drag race in the grass has pulled off a 1.42 60ft and thats stock class.

also, work on your reaction times. im guessing youre running a bracket light @ .500, thats a slow light. should be easy to get low r/t's. the second one is decent, but could be alot better. try staging a bit deeper to get the reaction time down, then when you start getting better and better r/t's, keep the car back a little more. you dont want to stage deep if you can pull off a quick r/t as thatll give you that extra room to get the et down a little, since you will have that space to get moving before the timer actually turns on.

you are leaving on yellow and not green right?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
those 60ft times suck. get the cars to hook and both would be in the 12's without question. you want ATLEAST a 1.5 60ft. ive seen v8 s10's that still have a stock frame and leaf spring setup pull 1.2x 60 ft's. the snowmobile i drag race in the grass has pulled off a 1.42 60ft and thats stock class.

also, work on your reaction times. im guessing youre running a bracket light @ .500, thats a slow light. should be easy to get low r/t's. the second one is decent, but could be alot better. try staging a bit deeper to get the reaction time down, then when you start getting better and better r/t's, keep the car back a little more. you dont want to stage deep if you can pull off a quick r/t as thatll give you that extra room to get the et down a little, since you will have that space to get moving before the timer actually turns on.

you are leaving on yellow and not green right?
I was leaving on green. This is kind of what I figured...the cars arent slow...its the driver. I also figured it was a traction issue. I wont be running these again in drag (maybe auto x). Your input is more along the lines of what I was thinking and thanks for adding.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts