BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i was driving and i raised my passenger window. All the sudden I hear this sound like someone hit my car with a coconut on my passenger door. Thought maybe the window motor blew up or something. The window still goes up and down fine. Door locks and unlocks. There is something definitely rattling around in there tho so something broke. What the hell could it have been and how long before catastrophic failure? Anybody have instructions for taking the door apart?

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
definitely window regulator. same thing happened on my X5. there was a loud pop sound but the window worked fine at first, but it will eventually fail.

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
lmao ,my door exploded, i once on a really hot day i pulled down my window and it sounded like my windsheild blew up. opened the panel and the regulator was gone and the wire was alllll tangled up.

·
99% Stock
1,131 Posts
I never did a window regulator replacement in my coupe but i've done 3 so far in sedans and they are pretty easy.

There are some good DIY's on this board, part should cost you around $75-85 aftermarket, $85+ OEM from what i've seen.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the help everyone. Yeah a coconut was the best way to describe it. Catastrophic failure is the window not going up all the way during one of the typical south florida rain storms

1 - 15 of 15 Posts