BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I had a post here earlier asking about alternatives for silver turn signal bulbs that glow amber. I was in need of them immediately since both burned out (long story), and I needed a quick fix and couldn't wait to order them, nor did I want to drive around with egg-yolk:thumbup:. So I took the opportunity to try doing some custom "Home-made Silver Visions" if you will, and this is the result.

I used standard GE orange bulbs, and then utilized a 500 degree engine paint which was colored aluminum. I simply masked the contacts and laid down a very very light coat. Here is what they look like:

And this is a pic of my car at night with the lights on. I didn't bother to post a pic of the clears in the daytime because it just looks like normal clears with no egg-yolk.:D Both lights are the same brightness even if it doesn't appear so in the picture. Everything works well, and I haven't experienced any fogging of the clears either! Total price: $8.00:mischief:

Thanks to all who helped out!!:thumbup:

·
First 19" ZHP
1,463 Posts
it is just my car are am i the only one with clear bulbs already on my car? for instance when i changed my corners and sidemarkers my bulbs were already clear, when i recieved my sidemarkers from billmister he sent them with an orange bulb in them so i swapped them out and put in my bulbs that were on my car and they were clear

·
Banned
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey man, yeah mine were clear as well. They are clear because you originally have orange lenses...so when you put clear lenses, you need orange bulbs (that is if you still want the amber glow). I had the clears on mine for a while and just didn't like the look of them... I did at first but then wanted orange at night. Just a matter of preference!

·
Registered
326 Posts
White turn signal lights are illegal. It has to be Orange/Red.

I'm not sure if it applies to all 50 states though. :dunno:

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
nikemykee said:
it is just my car are am i the only one with clear bulbs already on my car? for instance when i changed my corners and sidemarkers my bulbs were already clear, when i recieved my sidemarkers from billmister he sent them with an orange bulb in them so i swapped them out and put in my bulbs that were on my car and they were clear
I have clear bulbs too. In my last car I had clears in for 2 years and never a problem with the police. I think it looks better than amber.

·
Registered
460 Posts
rapid said:
White turn signal lights are illegal. It has to be Orange/Red.

I'm not sure if it applies to all 50 states though. :dunno:
depends on the state... but typically..

white and orange are legal up front....
red and orange are legal in rear...

·
Taiwan/Vancouver/Shanghai
2,471 Posts
I see lots of volovos have white turn signals... and I don't think aisan moms mod their car..

is it like the Xenons? if it is OEM, it's okay?... :dunno:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts